Help me to get started with recording my guitar

JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
edited November 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi guys 

I'd like to start recording myself playing guitar
I would normally use my phone , but quality is so so  bad , that I need to get some different gear to get me going .
I am aware of of sm57 and sennheiser e906 and most likely I'll land there soon , not atm though .
Is there a good quality setup on the budget ( mic+interface) you can recommend ?

I have a katana 100mk2 but its recording capability sucks ( very quiet recording !). 
I also have a blue snowball mic , but probably not good for guitar ( I used to use it with pc ) .

On the optimistic note ,  I have Ableton lite software and  decent headphones and headphone amp to eventually listen to recordings
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would take a look at the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as a good starter interface. An SM57 would be a good long term investment as well. 

I would commentate more on learning about mic placement with the mic you have and possibly an SM57 before worrying about anything else.

Also the direct out from the katana is another option you have. How are you recording it currently as it sounds like you have an mismatch between line input.

Good luck.

• JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    I would take a look at the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as a good starter interface. An SM57 would be a good long term investment as well. 

I would commentate more on learning about mic placement with the mic you have and possibly an SM57 before worrying about anything else.

Also the direct out from the katana is another option you have. How are you recording it currently as it sounds like you have an mismatch between line input.

Good luck.

I haven't done any recordings since I got pissed off with katana . 
    I was trying to record through usb on katana straight to Ableton .
    I had done all the setting correctly on katana and Ableton . And even though I used normalize , the audio would be just ok on max volume ( through headphones ).

I wasn't expecting much but I  had hoped it would at least record it loud enough to listen through headphones without going max volume and then looking for more volume .
     I got told I need to put mix level to 200% in katana usb setting , but that didn't do anything . 
    So I am now  considering buying mic and interface .

Anyway ...

I have just come across a Behringer b906 mic comparison vs Sennheiser e906 on yt .
    Behringer cost a lot less and it sounded pretty good to me . 
    Anyone has it ?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    I have B906 which I use to capture the other guitarist at practice sessions.  It may look like an e906 but it's neither the same build quality nor performance.  That said, for the price (I think that I paid c £30?) you can't really fault it.   If I lost it I'd buy another.
    Musicwolf said:
    I have B906 which I use to capture the other guitarist at practice sessions.  It may look like an e906 but it's neither the same build quality nor performance.  That said, for the price (I think that I paid c £30?) you can't really fault it.   If I lost it I'd buy another.
    It won't be the same sound signature as senny but i think it fits the bill atm .
    And for learning purposes and just to get started it'll do pretty good , I think .
    I think they're going for 35+ new .

You aren't selling yours are you:)