Capturing audio from a YouTube or online video

What's Hot
As per title, how can I download the audio content of an online video?  I am trying to learn a few songs, versions are posted online, and I hope to load the audio onto my portable player. Solely to learn the song tune and general vibe. Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I don’t think you can unless you record real time directly into a DAW or something like that 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    Google search "youtube to mp3"  
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6841
    I have heard this works well, can download entire video or just extract audio. Free version is fine.

https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    I have heard this works well, can download entire video or just extract audio. Free version is fine.

https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader
    I use the free version of this - one app is for downloading videos and another is for MP3 audio stripped from a YouTube vid. I use the MP3 app to rip songs I'm learning where I don't already have the CD. Being blunt, music I actually don't want to own but have agreed to play with my mate next door. The only issue I have with the MP3 app is that the resulting file is pretty low quality, but it's fine to learn the song from.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    You can do it with Audacity, change audio source to WASAPI .... click record start Youtube video then stop then export as wav, mp3 etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Apparently this site works very well, so I heard

https://www.flvto.biz/en79/youtube-to-mp3/
  • Danny1969 said:
    You can do it with Audacity, change audio source to WASAPI .... click record start Youtube video then stop then export as wav, mp3 etc
    @Danny1969 would that be the same on macOS? 
    Danny1969 said:
    No, won't work as I don't think as OSX doesn't have the same means of recording the internal digital stream. If you have a iMac with line in and headphone out you can connect an aux cable between the 2 to achieve the same thing I suppose. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    No, won't work as I don't think as OSX doesn't have the same means of recording the internal digital stream. If you have a iMac with line in and headphone out you can connect an aux cable between the 2 to achieve the same thing I suppose. 
    Ta. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    Most DAWS can strip the audio from video, I do it on Cubase all the time. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    ClipGrab has worked perfectly for me. And you can specify if it's audio of video you ant to download. I've used it a lot.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Thanks guys, I will try the Audacity suggestion today and see how it goes.  My reasons for needing this are the same as @TheBiigDipper wrote above.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Danny1969 said:
    I think you need a 3rd Party App to do this. I downloaded one and it installed an additional "audio device" called AudioJingle which is the means by which streamed audio can be intercepted / recorded on a DAW.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Audacity worked for me, many thanks guys.  I selected WASAPI for the input, recorded the song and EXPORTED the result in WAV form.  Worked a dream.  

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    Humanmedia app. 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    MediaHuman Youtube-To-mp3 does a good job of this. You just paste the url of the video into the app and it extracts the audio and saves it to a folder on your computer.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6074
    edited November 2020
    I use iTube Downloader. It gives you the option to download and save the video and audio or audio only. Very simple app to use, they now have an extension that sits on Safari's toolbar as a shortcut to the app. Plus they regularly release updates to keep it current with the OS. Excellent application, highly recommend.
    https://www.alphasoftware.co/itubedownloader/.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    If you change "http" in address bar to a mobile browser, then you can just download it or the whole video. No need to pay for software.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    I have the audio out of my Mac (headphone jack) routed to a pair of ins on my SSL. 

I can then record it directly into Pro Tools and then slow it down or whatever if I’m learning some lead stuff or new licks etc. 
    Nerine said:
    I have the audio out of my Mac (headphone jack) routed to a pair of ins on my SSL. 

I can then record it directly into Pro Tools and then slow it down or whatever if I’m learning some lead stuff or new licks etc. 
    I didn't know until fairly recently if you click the little settings cog at the bottom of the Youtube vid you can set audio speed to 1/4 half or 3/4 which is pretty handy 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom