New compact monitors

So since my ilouds have died I need to replace them.
As they lasted only 18 months I’ll not be getting another set, even though they were ideal for my needs.

So what’s good, that’s compact, robust and portable would be a nice addition.  I used the ilouds as part of a mobile setup and took them to wherever I was recording.

I’m thinking Gelelec 8010a’s would be thee next step up in quality.

Anything else fit the bill?

Portable is not essential, but compact is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited November 2020
    I've had iLouds since they came out and they haven't died.
    You'd be unlucky to have a second set die.
    I am actually considering selling mine, if you are interested. 

Genelec 8010's are fine but not exactly the last name in neutrality.
    Would Neumann KH80's be too big for the space?
    I have a set of those on the modular and they are brilliant.
  • I have some iLouds. Bought some 8010 and they were lovely and, to me, much nicer and more controlled. Annoyingly I sold those and bought some 8020 - one developed a fault and has been away for nearly a month. I’m stuck using the iLouds again. I know a lot of people rate the iLouds, including @octatonic who has way more experience than me, but I honestly can’t stand using the iLouds after using genelec. No idea how neutral they are or not, and don’t care - they disappear and have a much better stereo image.

anyway, rambling over, if space is the issue the 8010 were lovely and a nice upgrade. 3 times better, not sure... another plus was the genlecs don’t have that bloody cable between them that’s so heavy it wants to pull the iLoud with it. 

• To be fair I had no issue with the ilouds and mixes seem to transfer well, so they are doing something right.

I did however wonder about them when I first got them, that big bloody cable as you say @brucegill and also plugging in a minijack everything felt a bit loose in the connector and everything is obviously connected to a pcb.  Kind of a prosumer compared to pro audio feel (probably to be expected at the price).

octatonic said:
    I've had iLouds since they came out and they haven't died.
    You'd be unlucky to have a second set die.
    I am actually considering selling mine, if you are interested. 

Genelec 8010's are fine but not exactly the last name in neutrality.
    Would Neumann KH80's be too big for the space?
    I have a set of those on the modular and they are brilliant.
    Cool will check out the Neumann’s although probably a bit out of budget.  

Thanks for the offer of the ilouds but will steer clear of them for now.

IK basically said we can’t help since you are in the UK, go back to the shop, so will try that.  Perhaps somebody can get something sorted since they are not that old.

• brucegill said:
    I have some iLouds. Bought some 8010 and they were lovely and, to me, much nicer and more controlled. Annoyingly I sold those and bought some 8020 - one developed a fault and has been away for nearly a month. I’m stuck using the iLouds again. I know a lot of people rate the iLouds, including @octatonic who has way more experience than me, but I honestly can’t stand using the iLouds after using genelec. No idea how neutral they are or not, and don’t care - they disappear and have a much better stereo image.

anyway, rambling over, if space is the issue the 8010 were lovely and a nice upgrade. 3 times better, not sure... another plus was the genlecs don’t have that bloody cable between them that’s so heavy it wants to pull the iLoud with it. 
    How do the 8010’s compare to the 20’s?
  • I've got a pair of M-audio BX5 D2's and I've been thoroughly impressed with them. They keep up with my Focal Alpha 65's, which are a good mid-entry set of speakers too. But the M-Audio's seem cleaner and less prone to distortion.

Bye!

• brucegill said:
    I have some iLouds. Bought some 8010 and they were lovely and, to me, much nicer and more controlled. Annoyingly I sold those and bought some 8020 - one developed a fault and has been away for nearly a month. I’m stuck using the iLouds again. I know a lot of people rate the iLouds, including @octatonic who has way more experience than me, but I honestly can’t stand using the iLouds after using genelec. No idea how neutral they are or not, and don’t care - they disappear and have a much better stereo image.

I preferred the bigger ones for sure. Bit unfair to compare really. I paid £150 extra I think and felt it was worth it. Just want them back now
  • I've got a pair of M-audio BX5 D2's and I've been thoroughly impressed with them. They keep up with my Focal Alpha 65's, which are a good mid-entry set of speakers too. But the M-Audio's seem cleaner and less prone to distortion.
    Good call - I had a set before the ilouds actually.  Sold them to @SteveRobinson - hopefully still going strong. To be fair never did anything wrong, should have kept them! I was going portable because I didn’t have a room for a permanent setup but I do now, so probably should just go for a static set of 5” speakers.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    They are thanks @menamestom ;, in daily use!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    brucegill said:
    brucegill said:

I preferred the bigger ones for sure. Bit unfair to compare really. I paid £150 extra I think and felt it was worth it. Just want them back now
    Shouldn’t be long ;). Agree the 20s are better, up to the 8040s now and part of me wish I’d kept the 8020s
  • John_A said:
    brucegill said:
    brucegill said:

Shouldn’t be long ;). Agree the 20s are better, up to the 8040s now and part of me wish I’d kept the 8020s
    Hey John, hope so :) I've got a spare 8020 if you want to swap hahaha. Whats making you question the 8040s? 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    I have both Genelecs. The 8020's have a deeper bass response and a bigger soundstage and maybe slightly better separation than the 8010's, but the overall sound signature is the same.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    brucegill said:
    John_A said:
    brucegill said:
    brucegill said:

Hey John, hope so :) I've got a spare 8020 if you want to swap hahaha. Whats making you question the 8040s? 
    We were moving house and I had a great room lined up for a dedicated studio, a long story, see my post in ‘friends in need’ for details. Upshot is my office/studio in the current place isn’t really big enough to warrant something as big as the 8040s. They weren’t ideal on my desk, and on stands I’m losing too much room in a multi-purpose space.  
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @menamestom How did your ilouds die? Mine developed an intermittent side caused by that big proprietary cable. Fortunately, this was within the warranty period and I got it sorted for free. 

• Branshen said:
    @menamestom How did your ilouds die? Mine developed an intermittent side caused by that big proprietary cable. Fortunately, this was within the warranty period and I got it sorted for free. 

Seemed to happen all of a sudden.  I can move the cable and get the slave one working but the main speakers tweeter has gone, even without the link cable, although I suspect that’s from strain on the main board/connector also.  I think the link cable is way too big and heavy for the connectors, which is a design flaw, especially for a ‘portable’ speaker.

Set up in a studio and never moved they may be okay but if moved around they will have a limited life.
    Pity as I like the sound and form, but they are definitely prosumer rather than pro audio equipment.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Sounds similar but not quite to the issue I had. By switching the cable around, I figured that it was one particular end of the cable which was causing the intermittent problem.

I agree about the cable being too heavy. They advertise it as being mountable on stands, I just don't see how that would work with the cable being too heavy for the jacks. The strain and also pull out too easily. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Branshen said:

The same for me .. I have two pairs of iLouds. One pair developed a fault with one speaker cutting out and then only the tweeter worked and then it dies. It was the cable. The guys in Italy were great and shipped me a new one. No problems since.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!