Recording two interfaces' inputs at same time in Cubase

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
edited November 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

I've tried googling this and seem to get a lot of confusing results and I'm not sure they are answering the question I'm asking.

My question is, can I record two interfaces at the same time in Cubase?

I've only got one dedicated interface, which only has 1x XLR and one Jack input, so I can't record mics or guitars in stereo. It's also quite buggy. But I have an interface on my keyboard which is great (the piano left and right sounds spatially correct), an interface on my guitar modelling unit also in stereo, and my vocal effects unit as well. I thought it would be great to, for example, be able to record both the keyboard and the vocals at the same time with their respective interface inputs, but seems I can't do it.

There seems to be some possibility via asio4all which I need to keep reading until my stupid brain understands it. I already have to use that with my interface and the modelling unit, but think I've only been able to use one or the other and had to switch between them.

To get around this before I bought a desktop manual recording thing (Boss BR something) but that was an even bigger faff to get doing what I wanted

Any thoughts in simplistic language would be great! 

Thank you

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Which interface, and have you checked that the XLR isn't a combo sockect that takes a Jack plug too ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Which interface, and have you checked that the XLR isn't a combo sockect that takes a Jack plug too ?
    It's an M Audio fast track something or other, definitely not a combi jack, though that wouldn't really help anyway with the stereo xlr outputs albeit could have worked with the keyboard/modelling line outs. The keyboard doesn't sound as good recorded through the M Audio either, as it does recorded through the keyboard's own interface - I don't know why but its likely above my intelligence level to understand that.

But even allowing for a two xlr/jack combi input interface, i wouldn't be able to record keyboard and vocals in stereo at the same time. Watching a video now about asio4all to see if my tiny brain can grasp it 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I'd not bother and get a newer interface with enough inputs ...... frigging around with Tech isn't very musically productive after all ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited November 2020
    That would be the ideal yeah but cheapest seems to be Behringer at £100 which seems more than I could justify for my use to be honest.

I'd say 90% of my music time is spent pissing about with music tech that doesn't work so it's not really any different to add a bit more

Not to worry, if Asio4all can't do it I'll just have to make do
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24329
    Mac yes.
    windows no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate technology

Hoping I can try Asio4all later but now of course I can't find the power supply to the vocal effects thing which has ended up in my tearing the room upside down and undoing all of the tidying i've been doing this last week. FML
  • I was thwarted, as once I had located the requisite power supply, the Yamaha keyboard didn't show up on the Asio4all menu at all, so that's up the swanny anyway.

Getting the TC Voicelive working over usb was also a bit of a pain in the arse but got there and that did show up on the Asio4all. Oh well

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Mac yes.
    windows no. 
    Not strictly true, you can build the pc equivalent of a mac aggregated Interface using  ASIO4all, but as others have said, it makes far more sense to buy a new interface 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Aggregate device on Mac are buggy and shit too.
  • Thanks chaps, I'll have to leave it then I think as it's not worth another £100 to try and get this to work
  • Bugger me, I've just got Cubase to record from my TC Voicelive and my M Audio Fast Track at the same time, two separate tracks. The Voicelive has a setting where you get Mono effected vocals on the Left Output and totally dry vocals on the Right Output but unfortunately this doesn't reflect in the USB interface. So I used the Voicelive interface to record the effected vocals, then XLR patch lead from the Right Output into my Fast track to record totally dry.

Used Asio4all, made sure there was input buses set up for both, and boom.

Unfortunately, my Yamaha keyboard doesn't show up in the asio4all list, so my next step is to test whether my Digitech GSP1101 can be added in the same way as the Voicelive and Fast Track, and if so I'll have to create an empty direct preset and put the keyboard outputs through the stereo effects loop return and record it that way.

The cheapest 4 input interface I can find is a Behringer one at £99, which is more than I can justify spending on my vanity project at this time, though it would make things easier albeit not much less cabling.