Fuck you drum editing

What's Hot
<end of message>
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Beat Detective, the original and still the best IMO...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Stuckfast said:
    Beat Detective, the original and still the best IMO...
    100%.
  • I dont have PT but does it actually work accurately enough? I've tried the dynamic split method in reaper which is a similar thing but it's never as good as just biting the bullet and slip editing the whole thing by hand. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Yes, if you learn the approach properly then it is like an audio 'word processor'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I think Beat Detective, Tab to transient and the playlist was probably PT's main things people missed when working in other DAW's .... you can actually get a PT LE 8 system up and running for next to nothing but from memory  editing across the entire drum group requires TDM if earlier than 9 and 9, 10 etc requires iLok

As much as I loved it and used it on most sessions though for complex metal drums things still had to me moved by hand. We had a producer I rented some space to, Jack Stephens who used to get real surgical on every hit. He's a good lad for drum editing and a monster player himself https://www.jack-stephens.co.uk/

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • needless to say complex metal drums is what Ive been editing....actually not as complex as it could be but I jsut find it so boring. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Slip editing is king, IMHO. Because you can decide the amount of human feel to keep on the fly, on a bar-by-bar basis. I think Beat Detective is cool, but tidying up what it does often involves as much work as manually slicing and slip editing. I can do a 10-minute track in about an hour in Reaper or Studio One, so I'm willing to spend the extra time to have a little more control.

Bye!

• I wanted to avoid drum editing so much I learned to play drums...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    My drumming is the main reason I needed to learn drum editing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    edited November 2020
    It's the editing nights stretching out ahead of me that I hate. But then you knuckle down to work, get results and you're chuffed. I love EZ II, the one I'm using nowadays. And I've even got myself a couple of books by Marco Minnemann and some other drummers to improve my drum writing/editing.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    Yeah, drum editing is a drag but there’s something very satisfying about listening back to a seamlessly edited, finished drum track. 
  • Would be more satisfying if drummers could actually play in time...you know given they're supposed to be the clock of the band and everything. 

(actually playing a bit of drums I do have some sympathy as it is def hard to paly drums in time than guitar)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I really enjoy editing drums, it really makes a difference and once your done, you know the track.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I find it incredibly boring and monotonous, but essential in most productions.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I actually quite enjoy it, as long as there no desperate deadline, obviously. 

But then I'm always impatient to get the musicians out of the door after tracking so I can get on with the nerdy bit.
  • I wonder how many of you guys who enjoy it are editing metal though. There's just like so fucking many drum hits!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I wonder how many of you guys who enjoy it are editing metal though. There's just like so fucking many drum hits!
    Definitely not, though I think I'd probably attempt a subtractive approach, ie, fill in ALL the dots on the kick drum midi track, then use the erase tool to create an occasional gap. 

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom