Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First PRS?

What's Hot
Having been eying up a Mira for ages ive finally decided to take the plunge on a PRS, however ive decided to go for something other than the Mira, something more 'traditional' PRS if that makes sense. I like the look of the DGT ( swiss army style do it all guitar) either the standard or maple top versions, though i would prefer a stoptail so also have been looking at McCartys. I dont have the budget for a Modern Eagle or Pauls guitar, but have a limit of £2k. should i be looking at CU22/24's or are they more in the metal stable? Plus most have trems dont they? Ideally id like something pretty so birds would be good, a maple flame top would be nice but not essential, there seems to be the odd new/ ex display bargain around at the mo....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I have an SC245 with aldrich pups that i picked up or under 2K and i am yet to find anything that it can't do, looks great has an amazing driven tone, perfect intonation and action and a surprisingly bright, lively clean tone.
    everything that has played it loves it, just ask JayGee who coninsidently also has a mira.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited September 2013
    £2k is a monster budget if you're willing to look used.

I'd go to your nearest PRS dealer and try a load out.  Then set up ebay searches and wait for one in the condition/spec you're after and drive the necessary distance to collect.

If you don't want to deal with ebay there are loads of shops carrying really highly spec'd s/h PRS in great condition for less than £2k, you just pay a slight premium (but get a return policy if you buy via distance sellers etc).

World guitars always seem to have a few s/h PRS within your budget.  Never bought from them but they might be worth a look. http://worldguitars.co.uk/brands/used-prs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shame you've gone off the Mira, as the new S2 range would come in at half your budget!

My mate's got a McCarty and whilst I have only strummed it acoustically, it's a gorgeous looking thing and has a chunkier neck than you'd maybe think, which in my book is a good thing.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    I'd go to your nearest PRS dealer and try a load out.  Then set up ebay searches and wait for one in the condition/spec you're after and drive the necessary distance to collect.

I agree with going and trying a bunch but the second part of this is completely wrong.  I wouldn't buy any guitar off ebay - not even a PRS.  Even with their quality they do still vary tonally  You could find a really special one, and get another of that model off Ebay that doesn't sound nearly as good.

When I bought the DGT in my avatar I managed to get three of them in the same room.  Myself, my friend and the dealer were all unanimous that the one I bought definitely sounded better than the other two.

edited September 2013
    crunchman said:

I agree with going and trying a bunch but the second part of this is completely wrong.  I wouldn't buy any guitar off ebay - not even a PRS.  Even with their quality they do still vary tonally  You could find a really special one, and get another of that model off Ebay that doesn't sound nearly as good.

When I bought the DGT in my avatar I managed to get three of them in the same room.  Myself, my friend and the dealer were all unanimous that the one I bought definitely sounded better than the other two.

Yes they do vary.  I guess I'm assuming people do the same thing as I do, I'm willing to drive an hour or sometimes more to try an instrument out before buying - so I should've written try it with a view to buying not collect (which assumes you've bought it already).  I would never pay £1k+ and not see the item first when buying privately, myself, but I do think PRS are one of the instruments worth the drive because the QC is good enough that the instrument is likely good.  

Personally I bought both my PRSs used, shipped to me from Coda-Music so I had a returns policy if I needed it.  I should add that I'm based in Manchester and Coda is a 6 hour round trip, hence why I picked delivery instead of going and trying them in person.  That is what Distance Sellers Regulations are for after all.  Fortunately both instruments were fantastic and I didn't have to return them.  After haggling I got the pair for just over £2k, shipped.  One is the SC in my avatar the other is a 10 top CU22 hardtail.  They have dots and had a few dings round the edges, but I'm using them as gigging instruments and have dinged them further since purchase anyway.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Used is definitely the way to go with PRS at the minute as the used prices have completely tanked in the last few years. You can get really nice models for a lot less than your 2k budget.

Yes they do vary.  I guess I'm assuming people do the same thing as I do, I'm willing to drive an hour or sometimes more to try an instrument out before buying - so I should've written try it with a view to buying not collect (which assumes you've bought it already).  I would never pay £1k+ and not see the item first when buying privately, myself, but I do think PRS are one of the instruments worth the drive because the QC is good enough that the instrument is likely good.  

Personally I bought both my PRSs used, shipped to me from Coda-Music so I had a returns policy if I needed it.  I should add that I'm based in Manchester and Coda is a 6 hour round trip, hence why I picked delivery instead of going and trying them in person.  That is what Distance Sellers Regulations are for after all.  Fortunately both instruments were fantastic and I didn't have to return them.  After haggling I got the pair for just over £2k, shipped.  One is the SC in my avatar the other is a 10 top CU22 hardtail.  They have dots and had a few dings round the edges, but I'm using them as gigging instruments and have dinged them further since purchase anyway.
    I still think you could be missing out with this approach.  Had I bought at a distance I would have bought a goldtop as I was hankering after a goldtop.  The goldtop I tried was a decent guitar and I wouldn't have sent it back, but I would have missed out on a better guitar.
  • Some custom 22's can be had with stoptail and are more vintage sounding than your metal only preconception.
    edited September 2013

crunchman said:

I still think you could be missing out with this approach.  Had I bought at a distance I would have bought a goldtop as I was hankering after a goldtop.  The goldtop I tried was a decent guitar and I wouldn't have sent it back, but I would have missed out on a better guitar.

I think we're talking about two different approaches though.  I'm talking specifically about buying used, where you're less likely to be able to try 3 of the same model in the same room.  What you trade for in ability to find 'the one' you gain in the money you save.  With certain models you can save £1k+ by going used, which is not small change by any means.

I have taken the approach you're suggesting when buying other instruments where tone was the pure and only goal.  I ended up with a Les Paul with a burst, and I don't like bursts!  I wanted a Gold Top or an Ebony one, but I was buying a guitar for recording so went with my ears.  It really depends on what your priorities are with the instrument.
  • This one if you want a bargain swiss army knife:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-PRS-Studio-McCarty-Sunburst-10-Quilt-Top-Bird-Inlays-Electric-Guitar-/171119500526?

I have a DGT too, my no.1 go to guitar, luv it luv it :) however it doesn't do strat out of phase tones, but does do hot tele/strat nicely. The trems on PRS guitars are really stable, probably the best you can get without clamping things down.
    Even used, I'd still want to try first.  If you go the right place you can still get a decent selection.

Guitars4You and WorldGuitars both have double numbers of used PRS in stock according to their websites.
    edited September 2013

crunchman said:
    Even used, I'd still want to try first.  If you go the right place you can still get a decent selection.

Guitars4You and WorldGuitars both have double numbers of used PRS in stock according to their websites.
    I don't see where we're disagreeing.  We are both saying try it first and have now both suggested shops such as World Guitars.  It depends if either of those shops are within realistic driving distance for the OP though, and it depends on what stock they can get to try.  Distance Sellers Regulations apply if you buy used from a shop, so if it comes to that I wouldn't worry as if you like it you're happy and in theory stop looking, if you don't you send it back.

The grass could always be greener with the next guitar no matter what way you purchase, that is just the nature of it.  Trying out several in one shop doesn't mean that the next shop won't have one that is even better still, even if you pick the best of the bunch on the day.  I think we're both taking it as a given that the OP won't buy a guitar they're not happy with.
  • Thanks for all the responses guys as ever some great advice. Im happy about knowing how to buy its more about what i buy. I do wrongly associate the Cu22/24 with metal, i would be willing to buy a secondhand PRS as it looks like where the bargins are at. Im rationalising my gear again so need something that will cover plenty of bases and would posibly be my main squeeze. Guitars4you is nearby so i will give them a try, otherwise a trip to Worldguitars or Peach sounds in order. any other recommendations either modelwise or retailers?

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    A custom 22 with stoptail, flame top and paf style pickups are probably pretty close to what you're after from your description. You shold be able to get the guitar and the pickups for under £1300.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    Get a used DGT and spent the rest of the money on a hooker and an 8 ball of coke.
  • octatonic said:
    Get a used DGT and spent the rest of the money on a hooker and an 8 ball of coke.
    LOL :) A DGT is top of the list

• best PRS of the 8 i've had was a hardtail custom 22 that i put DGT pickups in, that thing was epic, sold it on music radar for £1200

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    If you are interested in a mira - there's a bargain S2 (the new stripped down usa models)  on ebay now - if I was in the midlands I'd have bought it already

link
  • John_P said:
    If you are interested in a mira - there's a bargain S2 (the new stripped down usa models)  on ebay now - if I was in the midlands I'd have bought it already

link

Why would anyone sell a new S2 for £500? I'm not after the S2 model Mira, dont see the point of the Korean pickups tuners etc over the standard USA model, its not that much cheaper either. Theres some great s/h USA PRS bargains to be had out there....

• dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    That eBay guitar ain't an S2 as far as I can tell. The S2 has a combined pickguard and pickup rings. That's probably a Mira X or something, GuitarGeek will know if he's around.