Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First PRS?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• The colour (or top) isn't my first choice either (although this finish is much more impressive in person), but a limited run DGT, with an ebony fingerboard for that price? Frikkin awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    edited September 2013
    Not really. I'd much prefer a regular Custom 22, which you could get for even less. It's not just the colour - I don't like the extra volume control, the headstock inlay, the binding or the bird inlays. (Or the "limited" BS... or anything to do with Guitarist for that matter.)

About the only thing I like that's non-standard is the ebony board - but that's only going by what one sounds like on a Les Paul. It's quite possible that it could make a PRS too bright.

fretfinder said:
    Personally I think 'hideous' is a little harsh. But as they say, one man's meat is another man's poison, or en Francais - Vive la difference!
    I did wonder about calling it "horrid" instead - although actually the first word that came into my head was "disgusting" ;).

Vive le difference, indeed...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I'm a fan of the extra volume control, I come from a CU22 background but I found that the DGT was all I loved about my Customs and more. I agree that the inlays here ("shadow" birds) aren't the best, but I quite like the binding and headstock veneer. I played one of this one's sister guitars from the same run and it was quite impeccable, the ebony sold it to me even more at the time but the extra brightness helped, if anything, as I'm normally a strat player. I played that one back to back with two other "normal" DGTs at a PRS evening a few years ago so had a pretty good chance to compare them. :)
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2013
    The colour (or top) isn't my first choice either (although this finish is much more impressive in person), but a limited run DGT, with an ebony fingerboard for that price? Frikkin awesome!
    I overlooked this on ebay thinking it was a custom 22 rather than a DGT :(

• Yeah, I let him know yesterday - would have bid myself if I could have though, still went for a fair price! :(
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    First PRS I *played* was Nick Botfield's mahogany Anniversary Custom - brilliant brilliant sounding guitar.

First I owned (that sounds grandiose but I'm only on my 2nd :-D ) was a McCarty. Utterly brilliant guitar - even my band mates expressed a preference. The only thing I wasn't sure about was missing a 2nd volume control, hence a year or so after selling the McCarty I got a used DGT in my preferred spec: Goldtop with dots.

Amazing guitars the DGT but definitely try one in person - some folk seem to hate the neck, I love it.

Happy hunting!
    Red ones are better. 
  • Go used! You could easily get a custom, and maybe a mira too.

Also, look into other brands that are similar. I think vanquish do some? Not sure, but others will likely help.
  • TimmyO said:
    First PRS I *played* was Nick Botfield's mahogany Anniversary Custom - brilliant brilliant sounding guitar.

First I owned (that sounds grandiose but I'm only on my 2nd :-D ) was a McCarty. Utterly brilliant guitar - even my band mates expressed a preference. The only thing I wasn't sure about was missing a 2nd volume control, hence a year or so after selling the McCarty I got a used DGT in my preferred spec: Goldtop with dots.

Amazing guitars the DGT but definitely try one in person - some folk seem to hate the neck, I love it.

Happy hunting!

Are you uing he DGT thru a DR Z Timmy?

• Go used! You could easily get a custom, and maybe a mira too.

Also, look into other brands that are similar. I think vanquish do some? Not sure, but others will likely help.

Agreed, ive noticed some amazing bargains recently, s/h DGT's seem a bit thin on the ground though...!

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

Agreed, ive noticed some amazing bargains recently, s/h DGT's seem a bit thin on the ground though...!

Good guitars don't get sold on so much.  Also, it's a relatively recent model (2008 I think) and it took a while to generate buzz so I'm not sure what the sales were like early on.  When you think that the Custom (24) has been manufactured for 28 years now, and the Cu22 has been around since the mid 90s, there will be a lot more of them around.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    SimpleSimon;34716" said:

Are you uing he DGT thru a DR Z Timmy?
    Yes, Maz NR combo. (although my Yamaha THR sees more use since the band stopped)
    Red ones are better. 
  • Nice :) i have a mini Z and im vey impressed with the quality sounds and build, would like to upgrade to the Maz or Carmen Ghia

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited September 2013
    Guitars4you have a couple of DGT Standards at a very good price of £1699.  I swithered hard over a red one (it was a good weight for a DGT at 8lbs dead but ideally I'd have preferred something a bit lighter) and someone pulled the trigger before I did.  Still slightly regret that.  But there's a black one and sea foam green one left.  Unfortunately for me the black one is a little heavier (although still reasonable for a Les Paul type guitar at around 8.5lbs) and I'm just not keen on the sea foam green finish
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Guitars4you have a couple of DGT Standards at a very good price of £1699.  I swithered hard over a red one (it was a good weight for a DGT at 8lbs dead but ideally I'd have preferred something a bit lighter) and someone pulled the trigger before I did.  Still slightly regret that.  But there's a black one and sea foam green one left.  Unfortunately for me the black one is a little heavier (although still reasonable for a Les Paul type guitar at around 8.5lbs) and I'm just not keen on the sea foam green finish

Likewise was eying up the sunset burst maple top DGT they had in, its now sold :( The seafoam green standard - whilst not my normal taste looks ace too!