Hammond organ + guitar pedals

What's Hot
Just wanted to sense check that this would work or whether there would be any level mismatch problems before I pull the trigger on a vintage (but cheap) organ.

organ -> distortion pedal -> rotary (guitar) pedal -> PA

Would I need a DI box in there between the pedals and the PA?
I presume plugging the organ and pedals into a guitar amp would be unwise

Any help, much appreciated. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14532
    edited November 2020
    If anything, you may need to attenuate the organ signal before it reaches the pedals.

The Electro-Harmonix Lester G pedal combines overdrive and rotary cabinet simulation in one unit. It is intended to be connected into guitar amplification.

If you wish to keep the distortion and Leslie separate, go for the Lester K.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2983
    When Mike Ratledge plugged his Lowrey organ into a fuzz pedal and a Marshall stack (to compete with Jimi Hendrix) it produced a sound so loud and powerful that he had to play legato style to avoid the out of control feedback he got in between single notes. And so a legend was born. Try it. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I recently bought the Yamaha Reface YC combo organ which does convincing emulations of  Hammond, Vox and Farfisa organs. It has drawbars, distortion and 2 speed Leslie built in but only 3 octaves.

So yesterday I got delivered the Reface CP which does Rhodes and Wurlitzer emulations among others. I have connected the two keyboards together via midi cables and now have a 2 manual organ and a 6 octave electric piano for under £500. Bear in mind these keyboards only have mini keys but I had to give up playing keyboards due to arthritis and the stretches are now a breeze with the reduced scale length.

This year I have got a short scale bass and a short scale Squier Jaguar in addition to the Reface keyboards. My musical world is shrinking but it is preserving my capability.

@Nyquist, what organ are you thinking of getting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbe said:
    I recently bought the Yamaha Reface YC combo organ which does convincing emulations of  Hammond, Vox and Farfisa organs. It has drawbars, distortion and 2 speed Leslie built in but only 3 octaves.

So yesterday I got delivered the Reface CP which does Rhodes and Wurlitzer emulations among others. I have connected the two keyboards together via midi cables and now have a 2 manual organ and a 6 octave electric piano for under £500. Bear in mind these keyboards only have mini keys but I had to give up playing keyboards due to arthritis and the stretches are now a breeze with the reduced scale length.

This year I have got a short scale bass and a short scale Squier Jaguar in addition to the Reface keyboards. My musical world is shrinking but it is preserving my capability.

@Nyquist, what organ are you thinking of getting?
    I had my eyes on an old Hammond combo organ on Ebay could outbid at the last second.

I like the idea of the double mini keyboard, but I think I might struggle with the mini keys - although I do play a short scale bass.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @Nyquist ; If you're looking for a cheap combo organ I used to have a Yamaha SK10 analog ensemble that does B3ish/cheesy organ, strings and other synth stuff.  These keyboards are sleepers, really nice sounds, think 60s to 70s. Yamaha also did SK20/30/50 but they get rarer and expensive

Here's one for a decent price, couple of hundred quid https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-SK10-Synth/184480646934?hash=item2af3e74716:g:MsQAAOSwMXxff5iY&redirect=mobile
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1872
    You need to buy my VOX Organ Guitar.
    Actually you don't/ But I must get it on ebay.Must be 10 years since i even opened the case...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146501625@N06/32283224456/in/album-72157678963880396
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16136
    I've got a Ferrofish  B3 simulator I'm going to sell ...........incredible ;just plug any midi enabled keyboard into it and it sits on the keyboard with allthe drawbars etc ......I'd sell it for £200 and its only been used twice 
  • Dominic said:
    I've got a Ferrofish  B3 simulator I'm going to sell ...........incredible ;just plug any midi enabled keyboard into it and it sits on the keyboard with allthe drawbars etc ......I'd sell it for £200 and its only been used twice 
    that could be very tempting
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    Nyquist said:
    Just wanted to sense check that this would work or whether there would be any level mismatch problems before I pull the trigger on a vintage (but cheap) organ.

organ -> distortion pedal -> rotary (guitar) pedal -> PA

Would I need a DI box in there between the pedals and the PA?
    I presume plugging the organ and pedals into a guitar amp would be unwise

Any help, much appreciated. Thanks.
    Jon Lord - Hammond into a Marshall.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    I’m still waiting for someone to sell a Mel9 pedal so I don’t have to learn how to play piano
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Forgive me, are you looking to put a naff Hammond organ through pedals or want a b3 through pedals? 
    If you want a b3 into pedals, then get a hamichord or a mojo. 
  • lukedlb said:
    Forgive me, are you looking to put a naff Hammond organ through pedals or want a b3 through pedals? 
    I'm looking for a cheap and portable organ solution to play hammond type stuff live (Booker T, Steve Winwood etc). So the single keyboard hammond + pedals was one of the options (but gone now).

• HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Nyquist said:
    lukedlb said:
    I'm looking for a cheap and portable organ solution to play hammond type stuff live (Booker T, Steve Winwood etc). So the single keyboard hammond + pedals was one of the options (but gone now).
    Then you need a Mojo 61 from Crumar. 
    You can get cheaper and probably easier stuff to find such a the vk8. Ive done this whole road. Hammond since the B3 until 2010 is nothing like what you have in mind. 
    Feel free to pitch models for me to shoot down. 
    I settled with the hamichord and it’s everything I’ve dreamt of. I bought it from a guy who kept his a100 with all its problems and faults and repairs. The hamichord is a copy of the B3 layout with a pc inside.