EOB strat tone control problem

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
I just bought an EOB strat
effectively there is a pre-amp after the pickups, then 1 volume (B500k) and 1 tone pot (A500k) 
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender_Ed_O_Brien_Stratocaster_0140192305_SM_REV_A_11-08-2017.pdf
The wiring is slightly different to normal, but should work

trouble is, the tone control only works between 1 (start position) and 2, i.e. 90% of the change is between 1 and 2
I found the same comment in a forum from someone a year ago

is this a design fault or a manufacturing fault?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    You could try a B taper pot
    You could try moving the tone cap to the centre tag of the volume too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    The Fender wiring schematic illustrates no path between the tone pot chassis and ground.* Presumably, the screening foil on the underside of the scratchplate is supposed to suffice.

If the guitar is out of warranty, I would simply add a ground wire between all three pots.

* The diagram also illustrates no connection between the third terminal on the volume pot and its chassis.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    You could try a B taper pot
    You could try moving the tone cap to the centre tag of the volume too
    I noticed that, and wondered what the difference might be
    should it make a difference?
  • Sounds like its a linear pot rather than a taper.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    A B (linear) pot will make it even worse, if it’s an A (audio, or log). First check that they haven’t fitted the pots the wrong way round...

If the pot is an A, the problem is that the value is far too high - 500K sounds very high for a circuit with a preamp before it. You may need to use as low as 25K or 50K - the way to find out would be to find the point at which the tone stops changing noticeably and measure the resistance there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    A B (linear) pot will make it even worse, if it’s an A (audio, or log). First check that they haven’t fitted the pots the wrong way round...

If the pot is an A, the problem is that the value is far too high - 500K sounds very high for a circuit with a preamp before it. You may need to use as low as 25K or 50K - the way to find out would be to find the point at which the tone stops changing noticeably and measure the resistance there.
    what capacitor would I need?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    ToneControl said: although 

The same one there is now if it works when it’s right down - it’s only the range of the pot that’s wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

The same one there is now if it works when it’s right down - it’s only the range of the pot that’s wrong.
    great thanks
    I measured the pot when full treble audible, it's 50k
    ICBM said:

great thanks
    I measured the pot when full treble audible, it's 50k

I thought I'd ask Fender about this
    (btw turns out the ebay shop owner was not accurate in describing the guitar as "new", even though it had the plastic still on the scratchplate)

I sent Fender a description, they asked for videos, I sent videos of neck pickup reach max tone around 4 or 5, Mid+bridge reaching max tone at 3 (as in 1 being minimum)

their reply was....

The issue that you are experiencing with your guitar could be due to a loose cable or a faulty component which should be an easy fix, but the only way to determine this and have it sorted is to take the guitar to a tech or service centre. Unfortunately we are unable to offer repair for second hand items, but we recommend that you get in touch with a local Fender authorised dealer to enquire about external service centres in your area.

so, no extra clarity obtained there
    I'm sure that it's not a loose cable
    and if it's a faulty components, I think the fault is in the spec