Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What the hell, one last go at growing long hair at 57 ....

What's Hot

Comments

• I have lockdown growth, although to be fair I always cut my own hair. Combine this with not washing my hair for the past couple of years, and long-ish hair can start to get annoying. There's no denying it looks very healthy, but the back gets a bit manky-feeling at times. Volume is fricking amazing when you stop washing though. I tend to let it grow, then take it down to a number 2. People seem to find this alarming, but it's never occurred to me that it's that big of a deal.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3690

I’m 57.  I have a full head of, very thick, hair with almost no grey.  Last year (2019) I had a haircut in around November then left it.  I retired at Christmas so I just let it grow, much to the annoyance of my family.  It was fair to say that I’d ‘gone feral’.  Then lockdown hit so that gave me an excuse to carry on refusing all offers of a DIY cut.  I don’t know what exactly I was expecting but it looked shit and it was adding years to my appearance.  It was also getting in the way so much so that, when we unlocked, I needed to wear a baseball cap in the gym or at band practice just so that I could see.

I got it cut late summer and it looked much better.  Unfortunately we then went back into lockdown so I am once again looking a little unkempt.

Why not go for the full guitar show ‘look’?  Middle aged man, long grey hair, bald on top, paunch, leather jacket, M&S jeans, faded tour shirt and reading glasses balanced on top of head.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    Hattigol said:
    It works best at that age if you are receding on top. Girls cannot resist that look.
    Ah, the "skullet". Here in Wales it's almost an art form. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23295

I had long hair up until I was about 30, then I got paranoid that I was going bald (when it's long, a lot of tangled hair comes out when you comb it).  So I got it cut short.

I didn't go bald and I haven't gone grey either, but I don't think I'd try to grow it again, it's very fine and lank - makes me look like a member of Accept or the Scorpions in the 1970s.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    My hair was like an afro at school, I could have been Ray Dorset from 'Mungo Jerry', big fuck-off sideburns, the lot. That soon changed and it all started receding and thinning out when I was about 20. Theses days I'd shave whatever's left off and have done with it, but the wife simply won't have it.

As for growing it long, I've seen what Bill Bailey looks like, and it's not a look I'm keen to cultivate.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had long hair twice in my life. Loved it. Had long hair when I started uni. I was lucky in that it was thick and shiny without much effort and girls were often asking me what "products" I used on it. But it got on my nerves dripping every morning over lecture notes so I got it cut off.

A few years later after uni I grew it again. However I got into a bad anxious habit of twisting a finger through it at the top and pulling hairs out. A year of doing this idly and now I'm very thin on top. Ok some is obvious age baldness, but I think a lot of it is to do with this habit as my hairline hasn't receded much in ages but it's just very sparse on top. 

My wife has never seen me with long hair and has said she'd be quite intrigued for me to grow it. But I think it's too thin on top now and I'd look like one of those caps with a wig attached.  Would probably give it a go again of I was thicker on top. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    For all those wishing to deter me, I have always been a loner and pretty unconcerned with what others thought of my appearance. My fashion sense was non-existent during my college years, It was early to mid 80s and I was still wearing flares! Whatever look you have some bugger will hate it so why not just do what you want and be done with it. 

Sure, some old guys look terrible with long hair, but so what if that's what they want! I don't anticipate attracting women if I grow my hair long, that will probably please the wife!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    p90fool said:
    Hattigol said:
    It works best at that age if you are receding on top. Girls cannot resist that look.
    Ah, the "skullet". Here in Wales it's almost an art form. 
    Or the Nutkins as it’s otherwise known.

axisus said:
    For all those wishing to deter me, I have always been a loner and pretty unconcerned with what others thought of my appearance. My fashion sense was non-existent during my college years, It was early to mid 80s and I was still wearing flares! Whatever look you have some bugger will hate it so why not just do what you want and be done with it. 

Sure, some old guys look terrible with long hair, but so what if that's what they want! I don't anticipate attracting women if I grow my hair long, that will probably please the wife!

Go for it mate, don’t give a fuck about what people think you look like as long as you’re happy. Fashion can do one.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Go for it man fuck , what people say  Do what you pleases you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11389
    I wanted to grow my hair as long again as the massed fast-growing curls would allow, but having not had a haircut for five months in the first lockdown the amount of time it took not to look ridiculous was just too much.

It looked ok when I was a student. Now, not so much.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    If you want to grow it out and don't want to look like a tramp whilst doing it, just go to a hairdresser you trust, but not very often. And obviously tell them that the overall aim is to grow it, but not to look like a dick during the process.

Or just stop getting haircuts. But eventually, unless you're very lucky, it will need some attention. (Not that much helps mine. My hair will do "long" or "short" but has absolutely no truck with anything that might be considered "style").
  • I last had my hair cut in March, about a week before first lockdown. Recently got new spectacles - one pair of which I call my mad professor style glasses. I currently look somewhat like Albert Einstein's twin brother. Currently thinking of getting my hair cut again in March next year.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 351
    Back in the day I had shoulder length red hair, well, auburn actually.  Like Veronica Lake apparently, though I preferred Lauren Bacall.  Lockdown has enforced something similar, but the longer it gets now (since I’m now a white-haired old geezer) the more I look like scouser Freddie Boswell out of The old Carla Lane sitcom Bread.  Not recommended.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33863
    I've had a go at it a couple of times.
    The longest I got was about shoulder length.
    Honestly, it was a pain. in the ass.
    I also looked fatter.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5065
    Philly_Q said:
    Calling @Reverend.... apologies if you're not over 50, Rev.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12442
    Never did Terry Nutkins any harm, he always had birds flappin round him. And otters.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6952
    Never did Terry Nutkins any harm, he always had birds flappin round him. And otters.
    I heard he was surrounded by Beaver as well.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12442
    mrkb said:
    I heard he was surrounded by Beaver as well.....
    You heard right pal, he's had the lot.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16212
    nothing sadder than long grey wispy thin hair that starts a third of the way back on the skull
    other than when it starts two thirds of the way back ............like Bill Bailey
    or possibly "the Clown" when its long but totally bald on top like a large Monks Tonsure
    I'd rather have a Perv's Combover