Just had to record a video audition

What's Hot
BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
... and isn't that a strange, strange thing?   Its like triple red light syndrome .. yes I know I'm recording audio, yes I know I'm recording video, yes I know for the next 5 and a half minutes I cannot make a mistake ... and then I need to do the same with the harmony part!

Its that weird live / studio cross over thing ... I never think twice about playing some pretty complicated stuff without stopping live, no choice, why think about it.  But as soon as I'm in the studio the concept goes out of the window.  I try and do it one some parts, simpler parts maybe, to ensure a more natural variation through the track.  And I rarely cut and paste parts if I can help it.

But yeah ... weird ...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It is horrible. I don’t like it.  You have my respect for doing it.

There’s something about the ability to do it again and again that does my head in. And the finality of when it’s over. I‘m never happy unless someone gives me the thumbs up.Best thing I’ve found is once recorded, give it a week and then go back and watch/listen. You tend to happier with the results. 

I once went for an audition for a cruise ship band playing Disney songs (don’t laugh ). The people doing the audition were taping it, too. On the way there, some fool side swiped my car (no insurance) so was reasonably shook up. I played some stuff, they had a few questions to ask, all very jovial . Then came the ‘here, sight read this monster complicated show tune, and play it with backing track’  . My fingers and brain both went bleurgh, but the knowledge that a ‘video ‘ recording was going on made me feel terrible. I still it glimmer of that at gigs when people whip out their phone when I’m doing a solo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Oof, that sounds ROUGH.  At least I had the option of deleting and starting again ... with an audience foxtrot oscar to that!  That's quintuple red like syndrome.  No wonder you have flash backs.

And no judgement or laughter here, I've played in panto bands and Disney songs are something of a staple in those damn things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    I had to play a big band version of Smash Mouths "All Star" - so I have no sympathy for you! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the same problem as you! Live playing not a problem regardless of audience size, but as soon as i'm in the studio i'm a wreck, even if I feel like i'm perfectly relaxed and comfortable..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom