Why are some amps good or rubbish with dirt pedals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Just tried the Boss OD200 in front of my Mk1 Katana Combo. Was expecting a similar disappointment to the Blackstar. But now, dirt pedals sound immense in front of the Katana. Boss has really made this an excellent pedal platform. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As has been well advised many times on this forum, Speakers also make a huge difference, for good, ill, or indifferent results, in either clean or driven sounds, or both. I note the comments re the Carr Rambler wonder if these were the mk2 with the Red Wizard speaker ? My own is such and was bought off of a good mate going acoustic. With single coil guitars, try as I did, I couldn’t get rid of the harsh top end and driven sounds accentuated this even more. Both at home or on gigs A quick trip around US forums found others had the same problems and a number of people had replaced this speaker with an Eminence Cannabis Rex with good results.I did this too and, lo and behold, problem solved and I’m delighted with the change. Years ago with my vintage Deluxe reverb, It took a while for me to settle on a suitable driver. It has had a well broken in Jensen C12N for about 18 years now and sounds great in any context that I might use it in. I used an old Celestion Classic 80 (uk) in it for while and it was wonderful for all sounds but a bit heavier. Just my 2 pence! Cheers all.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I had a seymour duncan lava box. It sounded pretty good through the rivera, but sounded like cack through the rockerverb.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Thought I'd return to my thread as I think I've been a bit harsh on my Blackstar HT-5 MK2.

Got a volume pot/pedal to stick in the loop yesterday. So was able to wind the pre-amp on the clean channel up a lot more. And the result was it's absolutely lovely with dirt pedals. I particularly liked them with the clean channel's second voice, which breaks up a little more easily. 

Without the volume pedal in the loop you can't get that kind of edge of breakup on the clean channel without disturbing the street, even on low power mode. At lower volume the clean channel is way too bright and scratchy, on either mode. 

Maybe they should have put a master volume on the amp.