Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you fund your guitar buying....?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2020
    I couldn't be arsed buying and selling guitars/amps all the time. I've not bought one in years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The short answer is I don't :) I can't remember the last guitar thing I treated myself to other than strings or maybe a used pickup. There's some stuff I'd like but can't justify it with how little disposable income we have at the minute til the kids are in school and my wife can work again.  

Tbh I'm quite happy with one really nice guitar anyway, a lot of what I look at is just pointless GAS. Can't bring myself to put a guitar on finance - the exception might be if I play one I really like, then I'd buy it on finance then sell my current guitar to pay it off straight away. 1 in 1 out.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    edited December 2020
    Deadman said:
    Deadman said:
    Does the 'don't buy it if you can't afford it' rule apply to just guitars? 
    luxury goods typically but as much as humanly possible really depending on your personal circumstances.

Gotcha Raymond, wasn't being contentious (much!) but just wondered who'd commented as such didn't do car loans/home improvement loans etc.
    Well loans are ok for whatever you need as long as you're sensible, but not many drivers buy seven Mondeos in different colours on credit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10244
    edited December 2020
    spark240 said:
    So it seems that in general....folks here dont buy now pay later...and why would you...

I happen to be looking for a PRS semi hollow and just checked Peach guitars as an example...., so a guitar at £3680 with 25% deposit over 48 months would set you back £5540....circa £1800 interest.

A PRS in GG at £3499 , 25% deposit over 36 months total £3899 - circa £400 interest

Similar at Music street , price £3680 - 12 months interest free or...25% deposit over 36 months total £4265 - circa £600 interest.

The thing to do, if you had to have it on credit is to put it on a 0% credit card, pay it off before the 0% period ends.  Do not use that card at all until it;s all paid off as to add to your balance.  Then in the end you will pay the same as a cash 

That’s exactly the same thing as Buy Now Pay Later at 0% then.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    In days of youth and 'training pay' I bought on tick a decent guitar so I could gig (it replaced a woolworths guitar) I expected my wages to rise sometime in the future and I had a decent amount of gigs to pay for it. Hang it my first weeks wages was about £18.50 for the week in the office and I went and gigged on a Friday night in a pub for £20. Gigging ran the car so I could afford to go to work. Over the intervening decades my pay has gone up and the gigging money has shrunk, at least in frequency, but I still have that first proper guitar and have added half a dozen more all paid for up front. I have sold two and have one on the block now (has been for 4 years but who's rushing)? I still have my first proper amp too but have traded through a few pedals. PA gear I've gone through and upgraded more times than I care to think.