Garden guitar studio

What's Hot
I decided to get one of these as wanted to be able to play louder than bedroom levels and also to have a man cave which is much needed in lockdown.

it’s not finished yet but should be done for Christmas. I see these are very popular now with many firms doing these as a modular build, manufactured off site and installed in a few days.

I’ve gone for a slightly higher specification build rather than modular and it’s obviously a longer build time on site.

We have a modest size garden so it’s a relatively small studio size 3m x 2.5m and will have French doors, 2 windows, heating, power and lighting.

going to get all my gear permanently set up in there and get a beer fridge and TV in also.

just wondered if anyone else’s had got one of these and maybe had any lessons learned / tips / ‘wish I’d have done this’ type of thing.

For anyone thinking of one I’d be happy to share times, photos etc.

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11911
    is the volume level currently constrained by your neighbours or those in your house?

I ask because brick built structures are usually better at containing noise. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414

I built a vocal booth in my garden when lockdown started the first time so I could use the lockdown time to record with my band. The I ran some a headphone feed and a balanced line return from it to my little studio in the house. Looks like a portaloo in the garden :)

I think next year I will build something a lot larger 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Danny1969 said:

I built a vocal booth in my garden when lockdown started the first time so I could use the lockdown time to record with my band. The I ran some a headphone feed and a balanced line return from it to my little studio in the house. Looks like a portaloo in the garden :)

I'm not fooled. That's a TARDIS and it's massive inside. Am I right?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    Hattigol said:
    Danny1969 said:

I'm not fooled. That's a TARDIS and it's massive inside. Am I right?
    Rumbled! this is indeed a shot taken inside, as you can see it's the same colour :)

I did build that room as well but not in my garden 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    is the volume level currently constrained by your neighbours or those in your house?

I ask because brick built structures are usually better at containing noise. 
    Yes, neighbours and the missus!
    We live in an old cottage constructed in 1880 and the walls are a soldier brick course (no cavity) so the sound transfers to the neighbour’s house easily.

The studio has been designed with the required acoustic measures to be a space I can give it some beans with the volume!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    We were due to move house and had a garden building all planned.  Unfortunately it feel through so that won't be going ahead
  • Had my garage converted last year/end of 2018 into a music room studio thing. Used the wrong contractor though who was a right nightmare. Everything was rushed and not done properly. Ended up having to spend a few quid correcting mistakes like the roof, drainage, electrics and flooring.

If I could do it again I'd have obviously gone with a different contractor but the roof wasn't made of a very good material, insulation could be better (walls and floor) and I'd have installed ethernet at the same time when the mains electrics were being done.

Its not turned out badly though as its been about 18 months I've been in there. Its quite cold in the winter hence I need 3 x electric radiators. Sound isn't an issue cos I'm like 30m away from any houses. So I can turn my monitors up and crank the volume.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Pics Russ or it never happened ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Pics Russ or it never happened ! ;)
    Will do once finished ✅ 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6870
    edited December 2020
    We had a (internal dims) 3.5m x 4m one built 2.5 years ago - the best thing Ive ever done, absolutely love it. We used professionals (The Garden Office) The UKs Leading Provider Of Garden Offices | The Garden Office and had extra plasterboard soundproofing added as explained in this video:-

Green Retreats & The Garden Office: Acoustic Pack Review by Alex Hutchings - YouTube

Took a corner of our garden from an area of overgrown weeds -

To a cool area to hang out

And make some noise

Its half fitted out with my music gear and the other side has a sofa/art table for my wife to use. I love the fact everything plugged in and ready to go, flick a switch and make some noise.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    russpm said:
    I decided to get one of these as wanted to be able to play louder than bedroom levels and also to have a man cave which is much needed in lockdown.

it’s not finished yet but should be done for Christmas. I see these are very popular now with many firms doing these as a modular build, manufactured off site and installed in a few days.

I’ve gone for a slightly higher specification build rather than modular and it’s obviously a longer build time on site.

We have a modest size garden so it’s a relatively small studio size 3m x 2.5m and will have French doors, 2 windows, heating, power and lighting.

going to get all my gear permanently set up in there and get a beer fridge and TV in also.

just wondered if anyone else’s had got one of these and maybe had any lessons learned / tips / ‘wish I’d have done this’ type of thing.

For anyone thinking of one I’d be happy to share times, photos etc.

Thanks 

Lets see it then?! :)

mrkb said:
    We had a (internal dims) 3.5m x 4m one built 2.5 years ago - the best thing Ive ever done, absolutely love it. We used professionals (The Garden Office) The UKs Leading Provider Of Garden Offices | The Garden Office and had extra plasterboard soundproofing added as explained in this video:-

Green Retreats & The Garden Office: Acoustic Pack Review by Alex Hutchings - YouTube

Took a corner of our garden from an area of overgrown weeds -

To a cool area to hang out

And make some noise

Its half fitted out with my music gear and the other side has a sofa/art table for my wife to use. I love the fact everything plugged in and ready to go, flick a switch and make some noise.

That looks awesome man, great space to escape to and just play.
    not having to pack everything away is what I’m looking forward too as much as playing with more volume.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I'm sure I'll be told that they are just as secure as houses but a chunk of me wouldn't sleep comfortably if there were expensive guitars in there. 

Even if they are as secure as a house, surely they're a bigger target for theft as thieves will know they are empty at night?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    I'm sure I'll be told that they are just as secure as houses but a chunk of me wouldn't sleep comfortably if there were expensive guitars in there. 

Even if they are as secure as a house, surely they're a bigger target for theft as thieves will know they are empty at night?

I’m installing a link to the intruder alarm on the house plus a camera. The locks are the anti snap type and it will all be insured to the hilt.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    They get hot when the weather picks up - think about some sort of AC unit if poss. Not much use opening doors and windows if you are trying to keep the sound in. I've got AC in this one, and even a short burst will cool it down for a good while. Godsend in hot weather.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11911
    Snap said:
    They get hot when the weather picks up - think about some sort of AC unit if poss. Not much use opening doors and windows if you are trying to keep the sound in. I've got AC in this one, and even a short burst will cool it down for a good while. Godsend in hot weather.

I don't think you could store guitars in there easily if it gets to -5C in the winter and 35C + in summer when not in use?

Snap said:

I’ve gone for solar control glazing which will help keep it cooler in summer. I’ve also got fresh air ventilation and I’ll see how it performs.
    if need be I’ll put an AC unit in.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    @mrkb Am I right thinking the final bill for something like that must be upwards of £20K?
    AlbertC said:
    @mrkb Am I right thinking the final bill for something like that must be upwards of £20K?
    It's currently projected to be £14k. I'm in the North West so construction costs are lower than 'down south'.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6870
    AlbertC said:
    Yes, about £23k all in. Felt like a big investment at the time, and I did consider cutting costs, but I’m now glad I got all the features I wanted rather than compromise and end up with a still expensive building that wasn’t warm, fairly soundproof or an inspiring  place that I want to spend my time.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1