Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peach Guitars - opinions wanted!

What's Hot

Comments

• I've bought a few guitars from Peach and think they're the best shop  (along with Coda) if you choose to buy online.  The one thing I'd love to see added to their online listings info is neck thicknesses (ie at the 1st & 12th) which is what Wildwood in the US do, and which handily highlights the differences in necks across the same model - Gibsons especially seem to vary a lot and I think this is excellent info for those who can't get to the shop, especially if you have a number of examples.

I just bought an American Original tele from Peach and they have about eight of one of the finishes in stock, for example, so this at least would help the buyer differentiate between those they may reject in the flesh and the ones that might best suit their preferred feel.  Better for customer and for Peach, too, as it may avoid the dreaded return.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    I think having appointments and limited walk ins would be a perfect solution.
    Ive bought a lot from Peach this year and received great customer service.
    this is what sets you apart, ensure you take this to the next level. 
    Repeat business is easier then winning new customers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

I think appointments, as an option, are a good idea even if things return completely to "normal".

When I was younger and less confident - not that I'm very confident now - I quite often took long train journeys to guitar shops to check out something I'd seen online (or more likely in a magazine ad, in those days).  Sometimes I'd arrive, find all the cool staff chatting to their cool mates, and completely bottle it.... and off I'd go, all the way home again.  Having an appointment solves that problem and establishes you as a proper customer.

Re any Guitar shop with this rule (not just Peach)

Not if their cool mates have the freedom of just popping in at will for a Coffee etc. Mates are Mates, they get mate's treatment ;)

Can't do owt about the Cool Staff though :) That's a bonus.

Just a few extra thoughts:

There's nowt to say that yours will be the only appointment in that slot either. How long does an appointment last? Half Hour? An Hour. If it's an hour and 1 person per slot, that means maybe 7 or 8 potential buyers per day, so if they have 24 people all wanting to come on the same day, probably Saturday because we work in the week, I can't see the shop turning away potential sales.

If someone is spending 3K, how much time does that buy? Does it buy more if the person drove 150 miles? Does wanting to try a Squier buy less time? Does the fact that someone's made a special appointment make a person feel more obliged to buy?

I once had to return a Guitar to a shop to have the saddle replaced. I don't want to have to make an appointment for that. I want to go when I have the time and at my convenience, probably on a Saturday because I work in the week. The shop fucked up, I want it sorted.

A lot of passing trade will go by the wayside for some shops. "Ooooh, I'll just nip in for a nosey can often lead to spontaneously spending, say, £20 or £30 on shite. I can be near Richtone in the Van some Friday lunch times, I get an hour. Imagine if I'm there and I can't just wander in. I'd resent that a little and I might go buy my bit of shite from somewhere that doesn't work like that, even if I have to buy it online.

Lots more questions, I'm sure. I just like the freedom to come and go.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I have never bought from you but as I am considering buying online I have been recommended you for that and as such would be happy to do so. I live too far away to consider coming in to the store.
    One of the pleasures of going into a store is trying out different guitars - maybe going in with something in mind only to find you actually end up buying something different as it just felt right.

To improve online buying, what about having some limited appointments via video so if someone wasn't 100% sure what they wanted, someone could show them round, play a few guitars for them and then help them make a choice from there. I realise this would take resources but for limited numbers could be a good virtual shopping experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    edited December 2020
    Peach is my go to store (coda a close second). I’ve bought online and in person, but mainly in person.
    I paid a visit on the appointment system and I have to say, it didn’t really work for me. The staff were great as ever, but the atmosphere in the shop wasn’t there. It felt eerie. Often when I’ve been in, I’ve chatted to other guitarists and that’s not possible if I’m the only person there.
    Generally when I visit I’ve got a vague idea of what I want - a new amp, a Les Paul, a cs tele etc. What’s been amazing over the years is the ability to spend as much time as I have playing the vast stock you have. I got my first cs tele from Braintree (should still have that guitar dammit) because I played every cs tele in store. I struck up a relationship that led to a few (ahem) more purchases. Wouldn’t have happened with online and I don’t think it would on the appointment basis.

What also wouldn’t have happened is the discovery of the other brands you stock - eggle for example, though to be honest, I don’t reckon I’d have bought a prs without falling in love with one at your store.

My gut says when the world goes back to normal in 2021, you’ll lose long term by doing appointment only. Expanding and improving online is welcome, but don’t change what makes you guys great.

Oh, and definitely get the events back when allowed. They always cost me money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Once again guys, thanks for all of your input. I'm going to collate all the feedback, take some time to consider it and hopefully we'll come to the best decision.

We'll certainly keep you all posted! Thanks again. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2020
    Hi Ryan, just a thought/ suggestion. Clearly there are pros and cons to both routes. So why not consider a mixed approach to cater for different needs/keep all sales opportunities open? Perhaps 2 days a week eg Friday and Saturday, open normally and for the rest of the week keep it appointment only? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I only go to shops when I want to buy something and I find it very annoying if I can't get access to a sales assistant because they are all being taken up by tyre kickers widdling as fast as they can on a Jackson they clearly can't afford. So an appointment only system works for me.

That said I do think the big showroom is an important part of actually wanting to go to the shop.

I remember years ago travelling a long way to go to Peter Cooks assuming because of the huge adverts in all the magazines it would be a huge shop. When I got there is was quite small and you had to ask for each thing that you wanted to look at and they would go and get it from the warehouse and bring it back. They were very helpful, but it felt a bit like shopping for shoes and I didn't like it at all.
    Yes, this exactly. GAK is like this too, except you had to but the item first (if it was in their warehouse and not in the shop) and you wanted to test it out in store. 
    I’m ok for emailing a store, making sure they have what I’m interested in and then going in for test. I’d be less inclined to shop somewhere  if they have to ‘specially’ go and get it from the warehouse for me to try. Too pressured.  I almost always phone/email to check stock if I’m going to check it out in person.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    It's really good to have you and Jack on here Ryan. It was a great shame that a very few members who were not representative of the wider membership soured things a while ago. I think you will find that the majority here hold Peach in high regard, and quite rightly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm nowhere near Peach and guitar shops often feel a bit 'pushy' in person (not saying Peach is) so I buy everything online to try in my own time (and usually keep).

I say concentrate mostly online. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I'm totally into the appointment idea. I vowed to never go back to my usual shop (your main competition north of London) as it's such a ballache. I've driven the 4 hour round trip to end up buying an amp without trying it as some guy was sat strumming an E chord in the demo room for over an hour. 

The last visit I had to that shop was between Christmas and New Year a few years ago. I was looking to buy a couple of high endish guitars. The owner was on holiday and the staff looked like they totally could not be arsed. I was on the road for 7:30 to get in the demo room for 9:30. Staff couldn't be bothered helping, the thermometer in the demo room read 16 degrees. It's too cold to play a guitar at that temperature. I walked out empty handed and thought I must be some idiot to spend 4 hours driving to try to buy a guitar with worse T&C's than clicking on a website. 

Appointments might put off people turning up for a browse, but for any high end retailer, you need to be pulling in people from across the country, and personally, there is no way I'm going to drive that kind of distance to not be able to try a guitar in a decent environment. Appointments also filter out timewasters / thieves and stop your stock getting damaged.  Even if it's app. only just a couple of days a week, it would allow serious buyers to know they are not going to have wasted journeys. 
  • Demo rooms could be mostly appointment only whilst the shop could still allow other customers to browse and buy. I'm not sure why it has to be such a binary choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • For improved online sales, it may be a good idea to have a closer look at the Peach Guitars YouTube channel.

I had subscribed a while ago, and while there were reviews of some very interesting guitars, with good playing through good amps, the audio was always terrible. Piercing, unpleasant high end on pretty much every video. I listen through studio monitors, so the issues may not be obvious when listening through computer speakers. 

Don't know what the issue is - it could be overdriven converters, poor mic placement, wrong mic for the amp, or anything else in the signal chain. While poor audio is quite common on YouTube, some channels, like That Pedal Show and Anderton's, have consistently great audio. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think going to a just appointment model could work, I am planning on booking in to come and try a couple of amps at some point soon.

It does somewhat eliminate a certain element of potential customers though. I'm thinking of young kids who like the idea of a guitar, but not enough to book an appointment.

I used to love going to a guitar shop with my dad, just to look around. I still love popping in to Denmark Street when I'm in the area just for a gawp. 

Maybe open days or open weekends once a month? You could have someone demoing some gear, and advertise is specifically to kids and parents? 

I have to say, your videos are great. It's the one you did recently on Fender Brownface amps that's got me thinking I will come and try some of them out. 

I agree with someone else's comment that it would be nice to make some noise privately. I hate being watched or listened to by someone far more talented than me.... 

Good luck and hopefully see you guys soon. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    My sense is that Peach have the reputation for service which means you're in prime position to move to that form of business. 

Plus being located halfway in the North Sea means you're far more likely to get online orders than walk ins I guess.

However, for guitarists I think that knowing you are ordering from a place that is a real live shop makes a difference. Ordering from a storage unit feels very different. 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    We are def all a lot more accustomed to appointments for things that did not use them before. 
    There are some areas that are better for it, for me shopping is not one of them. 
    You’re physical shop competes with the online shop, i don’t need an appointment to use online.  
    If it’s more effort than an otherwise equal other shop, I’ll go to the other place. If you’re offering more than the other place, I’ll choose your place, and use whatever booking system you need me to. But I’d prefer the process to be a door handle.

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    I can see “your” benefits by just taking appointments in store, but come on, retail isn’t dead just yet, we will be back to normal in the Spring and I personally don’t want to see anymore retail disappear, or move away from the traditional route.
    You will get away with it no doubt, so it could be done, but it won’t be any benefit to the customer.

I have purchased three guitars from you in the last year, and three from guitar guitar in Birmingham. Both you and them offer an excellent at the moment. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2020
    For improved online sales, it may be a good idea to have a closer look at the Peach Guitars YouTube channel.

I had subscribed a while ago, and while there were reviews of some very interesting guitars, with good playing through good amps, the audio was always terrible. Piercing, unpleasant high end on pretty much every video. I listen through studio monitors, so the issues may not be obvious when listening through computer speakers. 

Don't know what the issue is - it could be overdriven converters, poor mic placement, wrong mic for the amp, or anything else in the signal chain. While poor audio is quite common on YouTube, some channels, like That Pedal Show and Anderton's, have consistently great audio. 

I thiught that was how Dr Z amps were meant to sound! 

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Nerine said:

Maybe have set days for appointments and then have the weekends (or vice versa) set aside as an open to all. 

Maybe have a system where the customer can specify how much time they’d like to book. 

I think both of those suggestions from @Nerine are great ones. You're a 4 hour drive from me and I'd want more than an hour there if I came down.

Also, would it be possible for customers to specify that you keep Jack in the backroom during appointments? I wouldn't want him to feel intimidated either by my vastly better guitar skills or my looks.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    The comment of loosing that "discovery" potential would be sad. Think I've bought more guitars accidentally whilst browsing although admittedly not high end guitars. 
    I would hate to loose that "pop in in the off chance" with an open to public store. (Plus I wanted to drag my sister in law into the store the next time she travels down south). Even though I bought from you online this year I did feel that by making an appointment I felt I was obligating myself to buy in a given time slot.
    So pretty selfish reasons, but I'd really miss the a traditional shop.

This discussion has been closed.