Playing electric slide

What's Hot
OK I love the sound of electric slide (Rory , Johnny Winter, etc) ...So I have bought a glass slide , allocated a cheap guitar (Strat copy) , Raised the action , set the string heights to a flat radius tunes to open G so off I go.

Ok reading a bit I see I should not use a pick , but use my fingers so I can mute with the right hand. I am finding actually my usual "Hybrid" picking works well enough , but I can't get the hang of left hand muting...

I will perservere , any tips or good DVD's . etc...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Put the slide on your ring finger or little finger so you can mute behind the slide.
    Nothing wrong with using a pick but using fingers can take the edge off the treble.
    I find that slide loves fuzz and a touch of compression.
    You might have raised the action but you try going up a string gauge or possibly two.
    Worth having a play with E-shape tunings too, open E or open D.
  • +1 to muting behind the slide. Also switch the glass slide for a metal one. OK it won't sound as sweet as a glass one but it will bounce better when you drop it.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Nowadays, there are some tremendous youtube lessons, so start your search there, look out for John Tuggle's "Learning Guitar Now" he has really got slide down nicely and covers a great many styles.

If it were me.... and we all do things differently I know, I'd het the strings back radiused to the fingerboard. It will pay dividends believe me. Once you are accustomed to it, you'll be able to play any guitar, which has to a bonus. I have a Tokai SG Jnr that is my go to slide guitar, but I am equally happy on just about anything these days. I started off with slide on electric have played it acoustic style for quite a few years and as I didn't have a guitar for slide, in fact I only had the one tired old Strat anyway, I learned to play with the normal action and usual strings. Again, it has paid dividends over the years.

Whatever else you do..... ENJOY it, once you start getting to grips with slide a whole new world opens up.
    ;)
  • Thks guys , will search you tube a bit more
  • Glass slides need to be heavy - thin ones sound awful (tinny/harsh) and provide poor sustain. Damping behind (as already noted) is vital. Some people play slide well with a pick (Eric Clapton is a great slide player who uses one) though I prefer just fingers.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4279
    Reduce your overall damping workload by not having the slide touching strings lower than the one(s) you're sliding on. So if you're sliding a double stop on the top two strings, use the 'tip' of the slide (ie the bit in line with your fingerprint) on just those strings. You also get better vibrato that way because you lengthen the lever of movement. .... plus you can play cool bluesy stuff that had baselines on the bottom strings whilst sliding on top.
  • Interesting point Lewy , I started to thiink the same , but my slide is a bit long. So might see if I can get a shorter one.
    It's a personal thing but the ideal slide length for most people tends to be so the end of their finger tip is either level with or just poking out from the top of the slide.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Thks guys , will search you tube a bit more
    Use the words "Sonny" and "Landreth" in this search :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Personal preference, but I use the slide on my ring finger - means you can add the odd note above the slide, which can be a nice option. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, my own slide hero is a guy named Ian Siegal, worth looking up on the 'tube. 
  • Lewy;30998" said:
    It's a personal thing but the ideal slide length for most people tends to be so the end of their finger tip is either level with or just poking out from the top of the slide.
    I find my pinky best , but the slide is a lot longer than my finger. Will look for a shorter one
    Lixarto;31008" said:
    musicegbdf said:

Although.....his style relies at least in part on a very advanced right hand damping style that would rule out using a pick or even hybrid picking....
    IanSavage;31016" said:
    Personal preference, but I use the slide on my ring finger - means you can add the odd note above the slide, which can be a nice option. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, my own slide hero is a guy named Ian Siegal, worth looking up on the 'tube. 
    Agree on all counts (ring finger and Ian)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1208
    My slide heroes are Duane Allman and Derek Trucks. This style uses a relatively light glass slide (a Coricidin medicine bottle in Duane's case, the reissue version in Derek's), open E tuning and a low enough action to be able to use the guitar conventionally. It just goes to show that it's all about the sound you're after.

As @Lexie1 said, John Tuggle has the Duane/Derek style down really well. He also does stuff on slide in standard which is what Warren Haynes uses.

Anyway, I'm going to use this as an excuse to post a Derek Trucks clip. He's really taking the slide guitar in some interesting directions, particularly in his ability to bring in elements of Indian (and other) musics and make them sit well in a blues/jazzy context.

• Flippen heck, that was good-Thanks for sharing!

I only ever generally play slide in regular tuning and work chord shapes and pentatonics mainly. Anyone care to extol the virtues on playing in an open tuning beyond simply being able to play full chords with a finger/slide? Any pointers to good videos would be good too. I've tried it but I always feel a bit lost because i have to grope around for shapes that I know instinctively in standard tuning.

• Lixarto said:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL7j_jx0IYs

A master at work....

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31709
    I used to do a fair bit of touring as a slide playing sideman, and all I'd add to the above is; slow down and concentrate on the sound you're making. Opportunities to blaze away like a slide master are few and far between, what people actually like to hear is that classic, simple, evocative tone.

Also, work extensively on a beautiful, controlled vibrato. Just as in conventional playing, nothing says "amateur" like frenetic, warbly vibrato, unless it's used as a deliberate effect.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    p90fool said:
    I used to do a fair bit of touring as a slide playing sideman, and all I'd add to the above is; slow down and concentrate on the sound you're making. Opportunities to blaze away like a slide master are few and far between, what people actually like to hear is that classic, simple, evocative tone.

Also, work extensively on a beautiful, controlled vibrato. Just as in conventional playing, nothing says "amateur" like frenetic, warbly vibrato, unless it's used as a deliberate effect.
    That, along with anything that Lewy says, is about the best thing anyone has said thus far.
    edited September 2013
    Flippen heck, that was good-Thanks for sharing!

I only ever generally play slide in regular tuning and work chord shapes and pentatonics mainly. Anyone care to extol the virtues on playing in an open tuning beyond simply being able to play full chords with a finger/slide? Any pointers to good videos would be good too. I've tried it but I always feel a bit lost because i have to grope around for shapes that I know instinctively in standard tuning.

For single note playing, standard is a fine tuning for slide - most of Muddy Waters' electric slide playing was done in standard. You need to be accurate and mobile with the slide and good at damping for it to work though.

The main attraction to open tunings is, as you say, that chords become available under a straight bar, but in fact this is also the biggest pitfall to the beginning slide player. Nothing turns me off someone's slide playing more than them just sticking to barring full chords up and down the neck. Slide playing is only as good as what you put around it....it's just a technique, not a genre. If you only played with hammer ons that would be a bit crap and so it is with slide.

So for me, the beauty of open tunings is that they let you arrange guitar parts that make use of open and fretted as well as slid strings, and you don't have to damp the hell out of everything - you can get beautiful controlled sympathetic vibration of other strings.

You can also play alternate thumb bass lines on the bottom strings whilst sliding a melody on the top - which sounds great in all kinds of music, not just country blues where it's most common.

Ian Siegal has been mentioned on this thread and this video is a great example of what I mean about incorporating slide into a musical guitar part:

I learned so much from detailed study of this video. It was a great thrill to later perform this song with him at a few low key (for him....great for me!) gigs. It's in Open G, capo'd up to A.