Last orders……

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351

before the Christmas shutdown.

I have two guitars to complete before my Christmas shutdown. They are both PRS style guitars, both have Swamp Ash bodies, one will have a flame Maple cap, the other one will have and Ash cap that's kind of got a bit of quilt in it. Both the necks are one piece flamed Maple with rosewood fingerboards.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    You spoil us !!!!! Fantastic lookers !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited December 2020
    That one on the right - [Drool!!!!!].
  • geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
    edited December 2020
    The one on the left is being built for me, I'm really looking forward to it. 

Whoever takes the other one is going to have a really unique guitar!
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    longjaw said:
    Thank one on the right - [Drool!!!!!].
    this ....  ^^^
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • Beautiful! Have you done any of these with a 594-type layout, Graham? I see a korina one in my future if so... ;)

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

I have not made that style PRS guitar with that layout. I see no problem in making one as the neck and body are the same shape as the ones I'm making, it is only the control cavity and switch that are in a different place.   

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

tFB Trader

I've almost finished necks necks, apart from drilling the hole for the tuners. I've had to make new jigs for the rear cavity, as both the customers for these guitars wanted them very similar to PRS shape and positioning.

The customer who ordered the Swamp Ash special has cancel the order, unfortunately he's been made redundant. I will carry on and finish the guitar.

I've been quite lucky though the covid madness, only having a few orders cancelled, where are some of my trade customers I've had a lot of orders cancelled, plus not having many custom guitars being ordered.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    They look excellent Graham.    What type of bit do you use for the pot recesses?   I’m doing some at the moment and am planning to regrind and adapt a 35mm spade bit a la Ben Crowe. 

tFB Trader
    PeteC said:
    They look excellent Graham.    What type of bit do you use for the pot recesses?   I’m doing some at the moment and am planning to regrind and adapt a 35mm spade bit a la Ben Crowe. 

I use a 19mm bullnose router a bit on the overhead pin router.

I have a jig with the three holes in that line up with where the knobs and switch are going to be, this jig is fitted to the back of the body. . I forgot to take a photo of the jig, I’ll post one tomorrow.

This is my overhead pin router that I made myself, obviously not the trend router that’s sitting in it.

To achieve the dish effect I use a small pin 6mm, the holes in the jig are 22mm. I set the cutter to the surface of the guitar, then set the router to cut 6mm deep. I cut down about 2mm at a time, as the pin is smaller then holes in the jig the dish affect I get will be bigger than the holes, about 36mm.

I  use the same overhead router to cut the neck joint. I don't want the strings to run dead parallel to the body, so I set the jig to give me an angle of about .8 of a degree.

Both the necks on now glued in.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Many thanks @GSPBASSES    That’s a great setup.  I have the same Trend T11 which is excellent.   If only I had your welding and machining skills ! I’d love a pin router when I move to the new place in February. 

The break angle info is interesting.  On my McCarty the body cap is planed for around a 2degree angle and the rest of the break angle is cut into the back of the heel.  Do you do 0.8 degrees and cut more into the heel angle ?  

Those two guitars look fantastic btw 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Both the PRS type guitars are finished.

The first one is a customer order and is sold, the second one as I mentioned is now going into stock.

You'll notice the second guitar, the holes are not drilled for the bridge yet, this will be done whenever the guitar is sold to suit the customers requirements.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great stuff @GSPBASSES ;

tFB Trader

Should have gone to Specsavers, I have just notice one of the MOP’s on the 12th fret is out of line, some very rude words were shouted.

Some one is going to get a real bargain when I put it in my next sale (more swearing and cursing) Oh well shit happens, move on.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    GSPBASSES said:

Should have gone to Specsavers, I have just notice one of the MOP’s on the 12th fret is out of line, some very rude words were shouted.

Some one is going to get a real bargain when I put it in my next sale (more swearing and cursing) Oh well shit happens, move on.

Oh go on, turn it into a block inlay.  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Despite the small error on the 12th fret, someone is going to end up with a stunning guitar!!!
    Could you add a contrasting half moon at the opposite side of each inlay to level them up ? 
  • I'm no expert but these things look amazing!
  • 12th fret wouldn't bother me in the slightest,  what sort of price will it be up for?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom