Anyone used an Evo 8?

What's Hot
About to order a new interface. It's between the new Tascam US-HR and this. Wondering what people's experience is with Evo's (especially Win10 users). Merci
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Why those particular two interfaces? Tell us yo' thoughts. 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3609
    Win10 stability. Asked around a few retailers. 

Motu, SSL, older Audients...considered iffy. Focusrite...mixed reports. 

Apparently newer Audient pretty stable. New Tascam allegedly has an in-house Win10 driver precisely because of stability.
    I am willing to be told otherwise

• OK, so stability first. Of that list, I'd filter them into MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS and NOT MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS. 

SSL use Thesycon drivers, Audient do on the ID interfaces and this is repeated (from what I've read) with the EVO interfaces.

Down the lower end of the audio interface spectrum, I have first hand experience of the UR22 and Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2. Both Steinberg/Yamaha and NI write their own drivers and both work well. 

Anecdotal time: Zoom write their own drivers and are considered some of the lowest latency USB drivers around behind RME. MOTU write their own drivers are well. 

So out of your two choices, I'd go Tascam. The EVO range frankly looks shit and reports like the EVO4 being unable to play a headphone out and a monitor out at the same time sound pretty pisspoor. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, that's very useful.

I think the Evo 8 can have both headphones and speakers at the same time, but otherwise the same
    I guess 'writing your own drivers' is not always a guarantee of stability, because Gearslutz seems full of people experiencing weirdness with the M2.
  • Greatape said:
    I guess 'writing your own drivers' is not always a guarantee of stability, because Gearslutz seems full of people experiencing weirdness with the M2.
    There is definitely something going on with the M-series drivers. I considered buying one and rejected it on the basis of too many dodgy reports. The Babyface Pro FS I bought last week ain't cheap but it's truly worth it. 

I'd still hit Tascam over the EVO. 

Boom. Much appreciate this route out of prevarication. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

OK, so stability first. Of that list, I'd filter them into MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS and NOT MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS. 

SSL use Thesycon drivers, Audient do on the ID interfaces and this is repeated (from what I've read) with the EVO interfaces.

Down the lower end of the audio interface spectrum, I have first hand experience of the UR22 and Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2. Both Steinberg/Yamaha and NI write their own drivers and both work well. 

Anecdotal time: Zoom write their own drivers and are considered some of the lowest latency USB drivers around behind RME. MOTU write their own drivers are well. 

So out of your two choices, I'd go Tascam. The EVO range frankly looks shit and reports like the EVO4 being unable to play a headphone out and a monitor out at the same time sound pretty pisspoor. 
    I have the Evo 4 and am really impressed.  Latency as low and stability has not been an issue once.  I’ve had loads of interfaces and this is definitely up with the best, no noise, nice pre’s, easy to use.   Clearly it’s aimed at the prosumer/podcaster market rather than professionals but I have to say the performance is excellent.   

OK, so stability first. Of that list, I'd filter them into MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS and NOT MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS. 

I have the Evo 4 and am really impressed.  Latency as low and stability has not been an issue once.  I’ve had loads of interfaces and this is definitely up with the best, no noise, nice pre’s, easy to use.   Clearly it’s aimed at the prosumer/podcaster market rather than professionals but I have to say the performance is excellent.   
    Is that on Win10?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    Greatape said:

Is that on Win10?
    Yeah, Windows 10 Laptop.