Boss amps?! :/

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    dano91 said:
    Dolphin have the 60w on pre order for £439. If that included the foot switch super but taking it over £500 would produce a sharp intake of breath.
    We sure do! I can confirm that the footswitch is 'optional' which means it would be £524 for the 60W & Footswitch.

My impressions so far is that they will be a good little amp with plenty of positives, but whether they are good enough to justify a switch from valve is another question completely. If they sound as good as a valve, it's a bargain around £500. But will they sound as good? :) 

this might sound daft but I think there is an issue here about price points and getting it sub £500 is going to be important. Well, it is without the foot switch but a package deal of £499 is what I'd be skimming the net for.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Remeber also the 60W version doesn't have an FX loop, no tremolo and no presence control. For all that you need to go to the 80W version which is £160 more before you even buy the foot switch.

I'm in no way a tube snob and I hope these amps are great but I'm not sure who is going to buy one at that price point. Remember a standard 80W cube is less than €300 new and they are pretty indestructible gigable amps.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    I also think they have got the pricing wrong.
    I'm really hoping they are going to drop quite heavily in price once they've been out for a while. 

The smaller one is really no use to me and I'd be looking at £500 all in for the bigger one with the foot switch before I'd really be considering it seriously.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I guess that it depends what the sounds are like.  If it can get close to Kemper/Axe territory in the £700 range for the 80W model then it won't seem out the way.

On the other hand, if it's comparable to the Line 6 stuff it's going to be overpriced.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Heartfeltdawn said:

@ICBM. Are you talking abotu the Roland GA amps? I had the GA212 and it was a deeply flawed amp. Overpriced, some very cheap elements, the cab was ridiculously heavy, and it was a big disappointment. 
    Yes, exactly - although I didn't lift them so I didn't know about the weight. Although it probably wouldn't have bothered me!

What did bother me was the ridiculous BS claim for the output power - considerably more than the power consumption, which is physically impossible - I would guess the "100W" one was realistically 30W and the "200W" 60W... and perhaps trivial, but the cheap-looking MV control with a painted-on not illuminated red line really spoilt it.

And I thought they sounded horrible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein