Body roasting service

What's Hot
Does anyone know if/where I'd be able to get my telecaster body roasted? I'm going to refinish my telecaster body but feel it could do with losing some weight before it's refinished and was wondering if there's anywhere that offers something like this?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not saying your Telecaster body is fat, but if I had to name the five fattest Telecaster bodies I know, yours would be three of them.

Is that the sort of roasting you mean?

R.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not saying your Telecaster body is fat, but if I had to name the five fattest Telecaster bodies I know, yours would be three of them.

Is that the sort of roasting you mean?

R.
    Ha, not quite but keep'em coming.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Does roasting wood reduce its density? By how much?

Will the wood shrink? If it has glue joints, will they be secure?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    You could always ask this seller where he got his done...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1963-Gibson-Es-335-Jazz-Blues-Guitar-/184546724187

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:
    You could always ask this seller where he got his done...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1963-Gibson-Es-335-Jazz-Blues-Guitar-/184546724187
    I wonder what's his definition of the word 'restored'?

Edit: the big toenail explains it all
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    wrap it in tin foil and stick it in the oven next to the turkey
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited December 2020
    It might shave a little weight, not sure.... but its not going to make a heavy body light.

Have you considered smuggler routes, or a chamber and re-top.... ot a whole new body 

If torrifying, you should be roasting the wood planks... not the completed object
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited December 2020
    Tempering wood does reduce the weight of body blanks but I’ve not heard of it being done on a finished guitar body - I’m not sure the glue would stand up under those temperatures.  I looked into Tempered Tonewood for roasted/tempered blanks but they charge 300+ bucks for shipping to the U.K.
  • The process starts with raw timber, not the finished piece. The temperatures and the process will destroy any glue joints.  The process doesn't just drive off moisture but induces changes in the cell structure which may alter the size and dimensional stability of the timber, which is why it is carried out on raw lumber before any working or machining to size.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    There are a couple of documents online about how to do it but it would not be a good idea on a finished body as the wood will usually warp. I tried it on an old body without steam and it was not a success as the wood warped, not sure if the moisture from the steam would equalise with all the stuff getting vaped out you then allow the water to dry out just leaving the crystalised resins etc. Obviously if you are doing it with lumber it's far easier to square up after than a sanded glued body. You definitely need steam and heat and its like a 12 or 16hr process from memory. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    I hear that any local crematorium usually does a fairly good job.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Insert ash body joke here
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom