Best discreet no Wi-fi, 4G cctv/video doorbell unit please?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited December 2020 in Off Topic
I’ve had enough of the filth and shit/complete lack of respect for my property now. I came home last night from staying at my friends for Christmas (I’m classed as vulnerable and a single person household so in a support bubble so all legal and above board) to find someone had dumped their boxes of old wrapping paper/gift/toy boxes all by the side of my door that had scattered along my bedroom wall in the storm, they’ve also left filthy used COVID masks on the floor outside my door three times and dumped various takeaway/fast food packaging all over the car park out the front of my flat and I’ve had a gut full of it. I would like to install some kind of discreet cctv or similar that can be linked to my phone without the need of Wi-fi so I can catch who is doing it and take appropriate action. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I just don’t know why people want to be so manky and live in a shithole when it’s a lovely new development.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited December 2020
    You have to wonder what goes through these peoples heads? No respect for their own or anybody elses surrounding. They seem to think its cool to be a tw@t.It really does feel like society is taking a step back and getting worse. Sympathy for your current situation and I hope it improves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    sawyer said:
    You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads? 
    Alcohol and/or drugs. Plus habitual laziness. 

Your immediate neighbours will know that you have been away and, hence, did not create the mess. On the other hand, they will not lift a finger to help to minimise or tidy away the mess. (They would need PPE and sanitiser.)

If lockdown regulations are in force, your immediate neighbours might fear that they might be photographed outdoors and reported for it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Years ago when I lived in a tenement there was one flat who would leave their rubbish sacks in the common stair and then not put them out on bin day. I don't know if they were forgetful, lazy or entitled enough to believe that someone else would do it for them, but after this had been going on for some time and the stink had become unbearable, me and some of the other residents then piled up all the bags against their front door late at night, carefully balanced so that they fell into the flat when the door was opened in the morning... having made sure they weren't properly tied up.

They never did it again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    sawyer said:
    You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads? 
    Alcohol and/or drugs. Plus habitual laziness. 

Your immediate neighbours will know that you have been away and, hence, did not create the mess. On the other hand, they will not lift a finger to help to minimise or tidy away the mess. (They would need PPE and sanitiser.)

If lockdown regulations are in force, your immediate neighbours might fear that they might be photographed outdoors and reported for it.
    Yes drugs are a problem around here it constantly reeks of it and I get the blame from delivery drivers/Mail persons basically anyone that comes to my door as the whole front of the place smells as does my flat when I open the door and it wafts in. That’s not the main problem though, I want to catch the scummy cunts (sorry but it’s the only word for them) who are throwing their shit/litter all over the place and especially around my property when there is a perfectly good bin store 20 metres away.

I was out early this morning with a grabber picking all the crap up and bagging it to put in the bins. I really hoped the daft twats had left their address on one of the boxes but no go. I photographed everything though, don’t know what good that’ll do but I have it as evidence. 

The problem is I have my own separate entrance but the cars can park right up to just about a meter and half away from my door and there is a nice plot of land/shrubbery (No Monty Python jokes please) outside my flat/bedroom that these knobs seem to think is ok to throw their crap on but last night was the final straw when it was piled up NEXT to my door! 

So I ask, if there is a decent 4G wireless bell/video thing I can install that will give me notifications and allow me to set up a detection zone I’d love to hear about it please. I’ve been doing a fair bit of searching but everything so far needs Wi-fi.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Someone kept dumping McDonalds all over my car, then one day after cleaning sauce covered tomatoes off it I went in the kitchen and saw through next doors window. McDonalds bag on the side, teenage son crying and his Dad absolutely fucking screaming in his face and pointing in the general direction of my car.
    Not sure if it was related, but I've never had McDonalds on my car since...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    What a shitty situation, really sorry to hear about it.
    Just had a quick dig around & there seem to be few non wi-fi solutions that might be OK for you here. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-home-security-camera

What a shitty situation, really sorry to hear about it.
    Just had a quick dig around & there seem to be few non wi-fi solutions that might be OK for you here. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-home-security-camera

Thank you for that, the best one of the bunch is quite expensive (I don’t mind that) and you have to pay a monthly data plan (again I don’t mind that) but the irony being and the biggest downside is it can be easily stolen! (Facepalm emoji needed).

I might just have to go old school and put a rocking chair out the front and sit there all night with a shotgun!  :o
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Just be careful man. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Could you try a dummy cctv camera and a sign saying please leave waste in the bins provided - or words to that effect?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    I had my car stolen from my drive, they broke in whilst we were sleeping and took the keys, bastards. I’ve since installed a Nest doorbell with camera and its absolutely brilliant.
    Iamnobody said:
    Could you try a dummy cctv camera and a sign saying please leave waste in the bins provided - or words to that effect?
    Thank you for the suggestion but a sign will just provoke stupid reactions round here and a dummy cctv won’t allow me to know who it is to remedy the situation.

I just want it as discreet as possible, not some great big hulking camera type looking thing, that will give me instant notification and recording ability so I know who it is and help them find the bin store and show them how to use it.  ;)
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    zepp76 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Thank you for the suggestion but a sign will just provoke stupid reactions round here and a dummy cctv won’t allow me to know who it is to remedy the situation.

I just want it as discreet as possible, not some great big hulking camera type looking thing, that will give me instant notification and recording ability so I know who it is and help them find the bin store and show them how to use it.  ;)
    The Nest doorbell camera should do the trick nicely and works with Google hone, Alexa and also through your phone
    russpm said:
    zepp76 said:
    Iamnobody said:

The Nest doorbell camera should do the trick nicely and works with Google hone, Alexa and also through your phone
    But it needs Wi-fi does it not? Something I don’t have I’m afraid.
  • Do you have broadband? If so just get a cheap as chips WiFi router. Will be cheaper in the long run compared to 4G
    Do you have broadband? If so just get a cheap as chips WiFi router. Will be cheaper in the long run compared to 4G
    @Axe_meister I don’t have broadband no, but I’m seriously considering it to be honest. I am paying a fair bit for 90gb of data a month so maybe if I can get that down and still have unlimited calls/texts I may be able to afford broadband which would actually benefit me greatly in terms of not just the cctv but general tv/internet access and the like. Can anyone recommend a decent provider other than Virgin please? (They ripped my dad off something chronic that I only found out about after he’d died).
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    But you do have Wi-Fi.....   You can enable the Wi-Fi hotspot feature on your phone.  The camera can connect to the internet through that.  I'm not sure how these things work, but if it's just a case of getting WiFi to the camera, that will solve it.  How do you record / view the images from these cameras then ?  Is it a website that stores it in the cloud or does it need a PC at home to record the live stream or what ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Emp_Fab said:
    But you do have Wi-Fi.....   You can enable the Wi-Fi hotspot feature on your phone.  The camera can connect to the internet through that.  I'm not sure how these things work, but if it's just a case of getting WiFi to the camera, that will solve it.  How do you record / view the images from these cameras then ?  Is it a website that stores it in the cloud or does it need a PC at home to record the live stream or what ?
    Yes I have Wi-fi now which is why I’m thinking of getting the eufy doorbell cam, read the description in the link. It has its own encrypted data storage unit so if anyone tries to steal the doorbell the data/footage is safely stored in the unit inside the flat.