Which headphones?

What's Hot
Interested to know what studio headphones people are using. 

I've been using some Shure SRH240's for years now, but they are literally falling to bits, so I'm going to get a new pair. 

Will be mainly used for monitoring whilst recording, but will also be used for rough mixing. 

Any recommendations south of £150? Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Sony MDR 7506

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    I've been using the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro set for years, and can't think of anything I'd change. If they broke tomorrow, I'd replace with the same. Really comfortable, closed-back, and to my ears have a pretty neutral response.
  • My parents bought me some ATH m20x audio technica for Xmas which I’m thoroughly enjoying 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Thanks guys I'll have a look at these 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    spark240 said:
    Sony MDR 7506
    Another vote for these. My go-to cans for when I'm mixing live. I've recently done a bunch of mixes for a TV show which were mainly done on my Sony's with occasional reference to monitors as I was working at home of an evening, been very happy with them. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I still really like the AKG K271 MkII. Nice and neutral for mixing. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    mike257 said:
    spark240 said:
    Sony MDR 7506
    Another vote for these. My go-to cans for when I'm mixing live. I've recently done a bunch of mixes for a TV show which were mainly done on my Sony's with occasional reference to monitors as I was working at home of an evening, been very happy with them. 
    Def. ...I got through a few sets of foam covers but the cans still going strong !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    It's important to used closed backed headphones for tracking using a mic.  For mixing I much prefer open backed headphones.  I use AKG K702s (c£100) for mixing and an old pair of Beyerdynamic DT250s, which I've had for donkeys years, for tracking.  Personally, if I was trying to do it all for £150, I'd be spending most of that on the open backed ones and live with whatever I could buy with the remainder for tracking as long as they were closed backed.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I have the audio technica ath-m50x which sound great and have three detachable cables of different lengths. My son has the ath-40x and they sound just as good and have two interchangeable cables. 
    The beyerdynamic 770s are brilliant too and very comfy but just have one hard wired cable. Cant go wrong with either
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    I went for the Audio Technica ATH-M50x in the end. Seem to have great reviews and were on offer.  
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 821
    I agree, you really need 2 pairs, hard to get good mixes with closed backs, and open backs are tricky when recording with mics. 
    I use cheap Senn 250 for isolation, but mix on HD650, which you might get fairly cheap if you look around. Most of the time you spend will be mixing so your ears will thank you. (if your ears could speak )
  • Sorry to hijack thread, but would folk recommend different types for studio use, as opposed to just playing through headphones at home? e.g. If my studio set up for demos revolved around using headphones all the time, which doubled up as headphones to use while playing at home etc....
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Sorry to hijack thread, but would folk recommend different types for studio use, as opposed to just playing through headphones at home? e.g. If my studio set up for demos revolved around using headphones all the time, which doubled up as headphones to use while playing at home etc....
    Depends if the studio headphones are open back or not. I wouldn't choose closed back for home use, but I use open backed HD650's and DT880's for non studio listening. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom