Is there anything better value than the ADA 8200

What's Hot
As far as I can see, no, not with routable ins and outs via ADAT. But I'm open to options in the same price range.

I don't even need 8 pre's, 4 would do fine.

In any case, how much worse are they than the next step up which, from what I can see, is the octopre dynamic?

How does diminishing returns apply here?

Looking to embark on the expansion of my home Studio setup, and move some FX out of the box.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458
    I had the earlier 8000 model which was OK sounding but reliability was an issue. Brought 3 before I got a good one :) The 8200 has a different power supply but it's not that bit that went faulty. The unit was better at line level, with lower level mic signals it was noisy and a little harsh sounding. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Danny1969 said:
    I had the earlier 8000 model which was OK sounding but reliability was an issue. Brought 3 before I got a good one :) The 8200 has a different power supply but it's not that bit that went faulty. The unit was better at line level, with lower level mic signals it was noisy and a little harsh sounding. 

It would be for line level applications :+1: 
  • I have the ada8000 too I got it for like 50 2nd hand which is crazy. The pres are a bit noisy but I tend to out less critical mics on them like hi hats and stuff like that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I'm really only looking for the Extra pre's to run a signal from my amps line outs thru hardware effects at line level.

Basically so I Can mix in wet stereo FX panned left and right on separate tracks.

Kinda WDDW.

The extra outs would be handy too.

Its overkill, but theres nothing smaller even at a similar price. 8 channel seems standard.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There are a few smaller options, but certainly nothing cheaper, other than a used one
    John_A said:
    There are a few smaller options, but certainly nothing cheaper, other than a used one

Smaller options such as? And what kind Of prices?
    tekbow said:
    John_A said:

Sorry missed that

someting like a focusrite clarett 4pre or a Presonus 18|10c, which both have 4 pres, how many do you need?
    John_A said:
    tekbow said:
    John_A said:

Sorry missed that

someting like a focusrite clarett 4pre or a Presonus 18|10c, which both have 4 pres, how many do you need?

Just looking for an extra 4 to expand my ID44. Would have to be able to use the line outs as well.
    Had a head scratch and don’t think you’ll do any better than the ada8200. Scratch the ideas above they have adat ins you need outs, wasn’t thinking straight 
    John_A said:
    Had a head scratch and don’t think you’ll do any better than the ada8200. Scratch the ideas above they have adat ins you need outs, wasn’t thinking straight 

Well, when the time comes to buy, maybe I'll have the money for octopre dynamic.