changing string gauge

What's Hot
Ive always used 12-53's on my acoustics, but yesterday i picked up a set of 11-52s Elixir Nanoweb and im blown away by the difference in playablity. I absolutely love them. The question is does the guitar need to be re set up for these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you’ve not come across any problems already, your all good :) truss rod might need a tweak as less tension on the neck now maybe, but if it’s not buzzing in places that didn’t before I wouldn’t worry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No there doesnt seem to be any problems. Truss rod was the one i was thinking about but so far so good.

• I’d just get on and play it then :)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I flip between 11s and 12s regularly.  No problem. I’ve had maybe 60 guitars over 25 years. Never have I touched a truss rod. Maybe that says more about me then the guitars.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    There’s actually very little tension difference between 11s and 12s, because in most standard sets the A and D strings are exactly the same gauge, the low E only one gauge lighter (barely any difference in tension) and only the top three strings are a bit lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Yeah I too switch between 12s and 13s often, but would like to try something lighter but 11 on a jumbo is too far I think.  Anyone know if there are 11 1/2s out there 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    sev112 said:
    Yeah I too switch between 12s and 13s often, but would like to try something lighter but 11 on a jumbo is too far I think.  Anyone know if there are 11 1/2s out there 
    I don’t think it will be a problem. I use them on a Gibson dreadnought and they’re fine.

The real oddity is that most 11 sets seem to use a 22 G, which is actually *lighter* than in a typical set of 10s (23), and it does feel and sound slightly too light, to me. I use Newtones and just get them with a 23 instead. They do also do an 11.5 top E, but not a 15.5 which you would need for the B.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    If you like 11's you'll put in more hours so your hands might get strong enough and your calluses hard enough to like 12's too!!

I think there are differences. 11's play better which is nice but there will be less energy in lighter strings so they will be quieter. This often doesn't matter especially if you're just playing at home or using any sort of amplification. Main thing is to have fun and keep experimenting. Have you tried Monels? I use 12 gauge Monels (Martin MM12) and to me they seem a little bit easier than 12 gauge PB. I might be wrong. It's all so subjective and individual.

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I play reduced tension Newtone 11s after a tip on here and they’re even easier to play and sound great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStrat said:
    I play reduced tension Newtone 11s after a tip on here and they’re even easier to play and sound great
    Yup, Newtone are the way to go. 
    100% best strings l have ever tried so far....