My inbetween position has almost disappeared on a HSS Strat..

What's Hot
I reduced the wiring down to a master volume and tone as the original volume control placement on a Strat makes my tendinitis come back..Why I go for the 2 control compromise.

The original was wired as such 

Neck Single coil

Neck and Middle

Middle 

Middle and one coil of the Bridge,at the moment that appears to be the outer coil with the screws for polepieces...

Full bridge humbucker..

When I done the pickups tap test before I put it back together..
Everything checked out OK..

The inner coil that should be silent gave a small amount of signal,not a lot,I don't know if this is normal..?

Now that is exactly how the inbetween position sounds..
Really weak output..No balls,like a transistor radio in the distance,but hollow sounding..
The other positions are working fine and sound ace..

The Selector switch is one of those Fender Mega switches with a zillion variations..
I replaced the original player neck and middle single coils with Texas Specials..Big improvement..
I done exact like for like wiring for these 2 pickups..
The Bridge Humbucker is 4 conductor wire..This is all wired by fender up to the Zillion way switch..
So I left anything to do with the bridge humbucker alone completely..

There is an extra bright blue wire that was attached to the lover tone pot..I have left that in place..
This may be the culprit..
I have a scratchplate that should come on the 4th that has the volume position blanked off..

I can do one of 2 things when I change pickguards..
I can fix the problem,or if is too complicated to sort without looking..
I can photograph the wiring and see if anyone can spot the fault..

Thanks for any help..It is a recent Player Series HSS by the way..  :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    edited January 2021
    The humbucker is now out of phase with the single coils. You can either reverse the wiring of both single coils, or of the humbucker. Doing the humbucker will then give you the plain pole coil in position 4, which might sound better if you prefer a very pronounced ‘quack’, but if that sounds too tricky or risky with the zillion way switch, just do the single coils :).

A small amount of signal from the unused coil is normal, it’s still linked to the active one via the magnet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    Brilliant,,Thanks..
    Not too difficult to do..Phew..
    The whites go to the pot,the blacks go to the switch..Ace..  :)
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    ICBM said:
    The humbucker is now out of phase with the single coils. You can either reverse the wiring of both single coils, or of the humbucker. Doing the humbucker will then give you the plain pole coil in position 4, which might sound better if you prefer a very pronounced ‘quack’, but if that sounds too tricky or risky with the zillion way switch, just do the single coils :).

A small amount of signal from the unused coil is normal, it’s still linked to the active one via the magnet.
    OK job done..The scratchplate came today..The guitar is sounding excellent..
    All positions working too..

I learned something new today though..
    Life gives you these little gifts at times..  lol
    How to file a scratchplate to fit..
    It was slightly too long..
    I looked where the screwholes were and decided to go in from the bridge sound..
    I used a metal file..
    I finished it with the red then white side of an emery board..
    I could have done with something finer after that..
    Everything fits and works though..
    A repetitive job..

Next Job I have a Seymour Duncan SSL 5 Bridge pickup coming..
    That's going in the Green Strat with a Texas Special in the Neck and Middle..
    Middle being reverse wound again..
    The wires come out of the ends of the pickup,so I look at pre wired scratchplates..
    White wire to the top it seems..bth long sides of the pickup are identical..
    From reading stuff online it seems I am best trying white to ground,black to switch to start off with..

Again,thanks for the help..
    The guitar that got sorted up is sounding ace..  :)