Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tom Quayle Solo app

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Branshen ;are you still using it?  Any other experiences with it? Curious to know if people found it useful and stuck with it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @Branshen ;are you still using it?  Any other experiences with it? Curious to know if people found it useful and stuck with it
    I've neglected it abit to focus on playing techniques but I maintain that it is a great tool! I really should add it back to my practice routine. 
  • This looks really useful for learning all the intervals , notes on Fretboard etc 
      I would be very tempted  not keen on the idea that the note detection is off , plus my mic has been a bit dodgy on my iPad for a while (ive dropped it a few times ) 
  • This looks really useful for learning all the intervals , notes on Fretboard etc 
      I would be very tempted  not keen on the idea that the note detection is off , plus my mic has been a bit dodgy on my iPad for a while (ive dropped it a few times ) 
    It is a great tool, don't know who said the note detection is off but it absolutely is not. I was one of the Beta testers for it, and it tracks perfectly as long as you spent 20 seconds setting it up. Tom and Beebs can use it at very fast tempo and it tracks them so speed isn't an issue either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    I think its a brilliant app and when you create little improv exercises with a backing track focussed on targeting chord tones using the intervalic shapes/patterns its amazing how quickly you connect the dots and start making fairly musical solos without really trying too hard. Your ear begins to hear the voice leading tones between chord changes better for sure. 

Another ironic bi-product is that it shows you just how good the CAGED system is, as you suddenly spot how essentially all the intervallic shapes fall into the CAGED boxes nearly every time.

As for playing at speed, theres just no way Tom or anyone is using this system when he's doing those super fast runs. That's years of muscle memory and pentatonic/3NPS scale practice, plain and simple. But for slower, more considered melodic passages this method absolutely works. 
  • sjo89 said:
    I think its a brilliant app and when you create little improv exercises with a backing track focussed on targeting chord tones using the intervalic shapes/patterns its amazing how quickly you connect the dots and start making fairly musical solos without really trying too hard. Your ear begins to hear the voice leading tones between chord changes better for sure. 

Another ironic bi-product is that it shows you just how good the CAGED system is, as you suddenly spot how essentially all the intervallic shapes fall into the CAGED boxes nearly every time.

As for playing at speed, theres just no way Tom or anyone is using this system when he's doing those super fast runs. That's years of muscle memory and pentatonic/3NPS scale practice, plain and simple. But for slower, more considered melodic passages this method absolutely works. 
    Yeah if that's a ref to what I said, then no I don't think Tom is using intervals at his top whack and that's not what I was saying. He and Beebs do however use it at much quicker speeds than you think. I've sat with Beebs while jamming and asked him to let me know at what speed he has shifted from interval to muscle memory, and it's pretty quick... much faster than I thought possible. What I was referring to was how fast the app can track notes accurately, which is also pretty quick!
    As you said though, it's a great app and useful in a number of different ways. 
    Last point on the speed thing....pretty sure even at uber tempo although both guys won't be internally tracking every interval, they will still be tracking some, and especially the note they end a phrase on.
  • wizbit81 said:
    This looks really useful for learning all the intervals , notes on Fretboard etc 
    It is a great tool, don't know who said the note detection is off but it absolutely is not. I was one of the Beta testers for it, and it tracks perfectly as long as you spent 20 seconds setting it up. Tom and Beebs can use it at very fast tempo and it tracks them so speed isn't an issue either.
    Thanks #wizbit81  it does look like an amazing piece of work , I was very impressed with the video ,it is going on my wanted list . I have an iPhone SE with no credit on it which I use as a device for running apps like this on so it would be awesome 
  • wizbit81 said:
    This looks really useful for learning all the intervals , notes on Fretboard etc 
    Thanks #wizbit81  it does look like an amazing piece of work , I was very impressed with the video ,it is going on my wanted list . I have an iPhone SE with no credit on it which I use as a device for running apps like this on so it would be awesome 
    No worries dude. Just make sure it will work on an old iphone, from memory it needs to be a fairly recent device, I couldn't use my old iphone I had to use my modern Samsung once the Android version was available. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, super useful to hear everyone's opinions. Will give it a whirl
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    I was wondering how useful (if at all) this would be for us theory/technique dullards

Ideas for how to use it to work on just the notes of the fretboard:

something for the lazy blues warriors (like me) : some ideas for how to practice to see the blues scales more thoroughly:

Red ones are better. 
  • wizbit81 said:
    wizbit81 said:
    No worries dude. Just make sure it will work on an old iphone, from memory it needs to be a fairly recent device, I couldn't use my old iphone I had to use my modern Samsung once the Android version was available. 
    Ahhh mines an SE , 5s
  • It’s compatible with mine
  • It looks really good on the YouTube demos , 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7360
    Anyone still using this? Just bought it, didn't have a clue it existed. Are there other apps like this?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    DefaultM said:
    Anyone still using this? Just bought it, didn't have a clue it existed. Are there other apps like this?
    I have it but not really using it ...
  • I’ve just bought one of those cheap Irig things with a view to using it on my iPad/phone 
      I think it’s a rather useful tool ,practice aid for familiarising yourself with intervals on the fretboard