Collings Baby 2H?

What's Hot
A good friend of mine is selling his Collings imminently. Anyone tried one of these? Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    You will be the best judge, if you play it. That is one tiny guitar with a not-so-tiny price tag. Pretty niche at that size. Shoot me down but re sale will be uphill if it falls out of favour with you 

Ive played only 3 Collings guitars so my opinion should be taken with that in mind but they didn’t floor me, I prefer Martins. The fit and finish and general presentation is top drawer however 
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    I can’t really help as I’ve never played one but they have always intrigued me. Apparently a big voice for a tiny guitar but as Andy points out you’ll know yourself when you play it.
     If it works for you and it’s a reasonable price then why not. I’ve seen a couple on eBay over the last year or so and they don’t seem to hang around for long so there is certainly a market for them. 
    And Collings customer service is bang on, I’ve got a couple of Waterloo’s (made by them) and they are superb. My Waterloo wl14 arrived and I had an issue with the tuners being a bit tight. Emailed them and within a day they’d copied me into an email to stewmac and a new set was sent out free of charge. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Lovely little things, but I love Collings. It sounded like a tiny little guitar, and that wasn't for me at the time. Very short scale from memory too. Nice to have around if you can afford it I guess. I just couldn't warrant that money on a guitar I'd hardly use. only thing so small I liked was an early 1800s Martin that was just amazing to play. I ended up with a 'S' Lowden all Mahogany in the end, it was bigger and a fuller sound that met my needs better. 
  • To be clear, I'm not considering buying it myself - just looking for people's general impression of that model and its reputation. I reckon it's maybe quite a tough sell, even though it's a beautiful wee thing
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    I had a Collings Uke at one time and the build quality was just stunning as always - all of their instruments are just fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Old(ish) thread, but I recently bought a used 1999 Baby 2h lefty …and I love it !

perfect size for someone who mainly plays electric 

the tone is rich, not boxy.

the finish is immaculate of course and the thing is alive.
    If I put the case down, I can hear the strings thrum through the case
    (which doubly surprises me, since the padding fits like a glove)

criticisms..?   I initially found it harder to fret than my old Blueridge. 
    The frets aren’t very tall (? 0.043”]  and the board radius felt flatter.

Altogether,  it seemed to highlight my poor technique, but I must say it’s got better with time.

I would  recommend this model wholeheartedly.
     Btw, I’ve heard that Collings have closed their order books ‘for the next 3 years’.
    I’m not sure how one can rely on the precise figure,
    but my understanding is that they’re  not taking private orders at present.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited November 2021
    a well made parlor (which it pretty much is,  is it not ?)  can be surprisingly loud and full - I do like a cedar top on 000/parlor

Played a Brook cedar/koa at Intersound years ago - blew me away,  easily OM "fullness" (make sense ?)  shame I didnt have the schekkles at the time

Nowhere near in the same league,  but my little Tanglewood is solid  cedar/mahog and suprisingly loud/full (all for £225 at auction)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • This guitar is still for sale, incidentally!