NGD - slightly different, although ES-175....

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
I'd been looking at getting a first year (1949) single P-90 ES-175 imported, but lack of CITES paperwork (for the Brazilian rosewood fretboard)  has stalled that for the moment. I had a twin P-90 ES-175 recently, but I didn't quite take to that.

Trawling the entire universe, I found this which I though looked quite pretty - a bit of a different colour for an ES-175 and of course it's still got the P-90's. It turned up this morning, and first impressions are that it's very nice, although I'll probably get the nut changed as the strings are coming off it a bit high and making it a bit bouncy. It looks to be in good condition, so a nice complement to the recent ES-330L which also found its way to Chez DB1.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Lovely job !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovely
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Very nice Dave! Enjoy :)
  • Dibs when this is on the chop  ;) what a beaut!
  • Lovely @DB1 ;

You can never have enough shovels :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I like the winking emoji there, Matt. It's as if you didn't almost anticipate it being for sale soon.  =)
    Call me Dave.
    Lovely @DB1 ;

You can never have enough shovels :)

=) In fairness, I bought it on New Year's Eve.  Some other shovels can now be sold.

You dig? ;)
    Call me Dave.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    Wow - That's right up my alley.  

Congrats 
  • Really cool! Hngd 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Classy Freddy Blassi , lovely guitar man. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
     <3

LOVELY JUBBLY METAL SIGNNOVELTYONLY FOOLS AND HORSES DEL BOY RODNEY   eBay
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Thanks for the kind comments. I haven't seen too many in this colour with P-90's and I was quite drawn to it. First impressions (about 5 mins worth) that it's very resonant acoustically, the neck's more comofrtable for me than the recent '54 reissue that I had and it's got some nice typically P-90 vintage tones, perhaps not surprisingly like a cross between an ES-175 and ES-295.  That nut will have to go though, the strings come off it much too high.

On the whole though, very pleased. See next weeks classifieds for updates.  :)
    Call me Dave.
  • Not just for lockdown. Enjoy!
    edited January 2021
    An update: after I played it for a little while, I wasn't overly happy with the feel of it. If it had been a 'normal' ES-175, I think I'd have sent it back. However, I really liked the pickup/colour combination as (to me) it's attractive and fairly rare, and the ES-175/P90 thing is what I'd been looking for. The other option was possibly to go vintage, but we're doubling the cost.

But off it went to Trevor Jones, who identified a few issues with it - frankly he didn't like it. 'I don't like it' was his comment, which is how I drew that conclusion. However, he had a good look at it and identified a few issues in order to make it into the guitar that I was hopin that it would be. It's ready to come back to me now, but he's sent me a video of what needed to be done and what has been done, which I think is a nice touch.

Call me Dave.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    Think the link to the video was broken when you edited the post @DB1 ;
    Ah, thanks - I'd forgotten that that can happen. It still looked OK to me. Hopefully that's replaced it OK. 
    Call me Dave.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    Very Gibson! I trust it will be much better for a trip to the doctor.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    yes, yes, a thousand times yes, I'm really enjoying some of these Gibson models at the moment at this is a great example.

edited January 2021
    In fairness, the nut (retrofitted) and the alterations done to the bridge over the past fifteen years were the main problems for me. Whether the neck has moved slightly within that time, or (as I'm told) it's within tolerances, I'm not sure. It sounds so nice, looks so nice, and is now (apparently) playing so nicely that it was a worth a bit of time and money. I think if it had been standard sunburst (I like sunburst, but they're not uncommon) and HB's it might have gone back. I did have a limited edition P90 model recently which didn't quite hit the mark for me, but this one felt and sounded a bit more welcoming - actually, it's the neck that helps this one. It's very comfortable.
    Call me Dave.