Another Line6 HX Effects v Stomp v M9 query

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
I have individual pedals which do the job, 2 in particular offer their own thing: A Catlinbread Csidman and the EHX Octavix.

Other's in the chain are some regular boss pedals, and a few I wouldn't miss (vibrato, comp pedal etc)

I do have some EHX reverbs, but in theory, am thinking, outside of the drives and the Catlinbread, to condense the mod and effects into one unit.

I had a Line6 M5 for a while, so could revisit, or look at the bigger M9. M5 was a useful bit of kit.

HX Effects might be overkill but might worth looking at.

I record straight into the DAW usually and it's demo quality and add a general amp sim/plugin like amplitube, so not even sure if the Stomp would be too much.

I like delays, reverbs, slowing down, half speed, looping etc.. 

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Owned both - liked the implementation of the M9 looper better, personally. But they should both do the same thing in that regard. 

Every effect that the M9 has the HXFX has a HD version plus a lot of brand new HX algorithms.

For me, only a few of the M9 effects held up, mainly modulations tbh. HX delays and drives are a proper step up. M9 reverbs are mixed - some really unique ones but EHX and others were doing better spring and plate tones a decade ago. The HX reverbs are heavily slanted towards atmospheric tones. 

HX build significantly more rugged. Both a pain to power from a pedalboard supply though. 

My opinion is that HXFXs come up so cheap used I'd not bother with an M9 unless it was a stone cold bargain (like, £80 or less). HXFX is a great unit. Hope that helps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
    edited January 2021
    @jellybelly that is a great response ! Thanks ! Helpful ! Happy enough with my bog standard Boss Blues Driver, but all the extra modulation would be nice to have.
    The stomp with all the cab variations might be too much, but better to be looking at it than looking for it....?
  • @jellybelly that is a great response ! Thanks ! Helpful ! Happy enough with my bog standard Boss Blues Driver, but all the extra modulation would be nice to have.
    The stomp with all the cab variations might be too much, but better to be looking at it than looking for it....?
    No worries! Glad to help! Unfortunately I've no experience with the Stomp but I have owned an LT in the past. The amps/cabs/ir rabbit hole is a much deeper one than the effects bit. Might be great for recording but just to play for enjoyment I found myself a/bing stuff more than playing actual music. If you've got the mental robustness to ignore stuff that doesn't matter then then it might be a great solution! I don't, unfortunately, which is why I'm back to individual stompboxes  :s

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
    edited January 2021
    @jellybelly same here, I have a few individual pedals that do the job, but think I'll keep an eye out for the HX effects. As you said, and from the demos, it seems to be the same as the M9 more or less but with a lot more.
    Line 6 pod go does look interesting though....
  • I'm pretty happy with my HX FX. I don't use the distortion effects that much, as it's not my sort of sound, but the modulation, delay and reverb sounds can be lovely. I get most drive tones from the amp, which is MIDI-friendly. The HX FX is good as a MIDI controller as far as my needs go. Currently, I'm not using any "real" pedals, just this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty happy with my HX FX. I don't use the distortion effects that much, as it's not my sort of sound, but the modulation, delay and reverb sounds can be lovely. I get most drive tones from the amp, which is MIDI-friendly. The HX FX is good as a MIDI controller as far as my needs go. Currently, I'm not using any "real" pedals, just this. 
    Would be along the same lines. All my home recording is demo grade only, so in theory, one amp sim plugin I have would do, but the HX FX would be handy as an all in one for these purposes as well as live purposes. Lots of effects in it, I wouldn't buy individual pedals for.
  • You can download a free trial of Helix Native, try it out in your DAW and see if you like the tones. The hardware units sound identical. 
  • Wouldn't bother with the M9. The HX series supersedes it in every way.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Still undecided. I was looking at the Boss MD200 which would tick a lot of boxes alongside my existing pedals, but the HX Stomp or Effects would tick the same boxes and have loads more left over.....
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    edited January 2021
    Wouldn't bother with the M9. The HX series supersedes it in every way.

Yes M9 is old,  from memory it's the same algorithms as the DL-4, DM-4 etc and they are circa year 2000. I picked up an M9 cheap a while ago for just messing around with at home, for that it's an OK piece of gear if you can score one at a good price.
  • I have both.  The big difference for me personally is that the drive sounds on the HX are excellent.  With the M9 I used dirt pedals.

I've no doubt that for heavy users of other effects the HX is better.  But think for most players the non-dirt effects on the M9 are all you really need.  Plenty of pros were/are using it.

If you're one of the minority who actually likes the dirt options on the M9, or if you prefer to use dirt pedals anyway, I think a used M9 now represents absolutely fantastic value for money.  For me personally the HX is worth the extra because I like the convenience of one unit doing everything.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • dano said:
    Wouldn't bother with the M9. The HX series supersedes it in every way.

Yes M9 is old,  from memory it's the same algorithms as the DL-4, DM-4 etc and they are circa year 2000. I picked up an M9 cheap a while ago for just messing around with at home, for that it's an OK piece of gear if you can score one at a good price.
    Helix has all those algo's as well now too.

Bye!

• I could in theory do without my current drive pedals if the HX drives are good (octave fuzz etc) . I’ll play around with pedals this year and might go all in and just use a HX. Might keep an eye out for a used one !
  • Mine might well be up for sale soon...contemplating going to the LT and FRFR instead
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After looking around online over the last week, back to my original query with an additional question. I really only need a few cab/amp/mic/IR choices.

But as they say "it's better to be looking at it, than looking for it".

Would something like "a preamp" + "mooer radar" for example + one of the above multi effects sort it for me.

Or just continue using the free version of amplitube with the two different amp and cab options...
  • Cheap option - a HX FX with a preamp pedal like an American Sound (Tech 21 blond ripoff) in a loop and an IR mixed in (HX has IR loading) was a great solution for me, regret losing that option. Stood up to the full Helix amps and then some. The free IRs Line 6 have on their website are some of the best straight up examples I found. You'd still need a headphone amp but you might have something that would do that already. 

Can't deny that the Stomp is a great all-in-one solution on paper at least. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    I've used an American Sound for recording alongside various permutations of HXFX and pedals for years - works a treat. Although, just acquired an HX Stomp, so I'll be trying out HX amp modelling over next few weeks. I suspect I'll quickly arrive at a favourite amp model, set, and forget.
  • HX Stomp looks like possibly the best all round option, but the amount of options in it... :(