Simple recording options

What's Hot
I've already got an audio interface and DAW, but most of the time I can't be bothered to use it.  I'm looking for an alternative option to simply record solo electric guitar sessions.  I'd probably keep a mic on my amp, and would like to be able to simply press record on the recorder and let the tape roll. 

Requirements are to have as good a sound quality as possible, simple to use, and the ability to easily transfer files to a PC for burning to CD etc.

I know they're different animals, but I'm thinking about either a Tascam DP-008EX multi-track or a Sony handheld 2-track recorder, such as the PCM-D100. 

I think the Tascam might be really fiddly when transferring tracks to a PC (it seems to require a couple of stages which are carried out in realtime). 

The Sony probably has better audio quality, but is obviously only a stereo recorder with no effects (not a significant drawback), and I'd need some sort of adaptor or preamp to convert a mic with XLR to its input.

I just wondered if anyone had experience of these, or could recommend any other interesting non-DAW based solutions.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Similar to your thoughts on the Sony handheld 2-track recorder, I have been using a Zoom H2 for many years. 24 bit 48kHz is good enough for me and I can use the internal mics, plug in direct, either direct from an instrument or from the output from a mixer if I am recording a live event. I take the SD card out and plug it into my computer and then tweak the audio in my DAW. For compactness, portability and quality recordings, I think your Sony will give you good service.

Of course, there are larger devices with more tracks and some onboard effects. I will leave those for others with experience to tell you how practical they are.
  • Thanks for that.  Yes, I think the Sony would be quite usable, and it has other functions, including as a general recorder and portable music player.
  • Have you seen the zoom r8? This could work albeit a bit overboard. 
  • If you're intending to keep a mic pointed at your amps speaker all the time and want to capture what you play without any fuss, then you're looking for something that accepts an external  mic feed and records audio. So, you've already identified the need to buy a connection for attaching the XLR of the mic cable into your recorder. Then there's buying the recorder itself. 

Got an iPhone or an Android phone? If I was in your shoes I'd just spend £33 on an IK iRig Pre (Andertons price), leave it connected to the XLR cable all the time and use the phone to record stuff when the lightning struck. If you don't have a favourite "press one button to start recording" app already, then IK has a free app you can download from Apple or Google. I've not used the IK app myself. I'm using Voice Memos on my iPhone (they're dropping Music Memos, sadly), but at least it can record at high quality and store into lossless audio files. 

So, turn on the amp, attach the phone to your IK Pre, load the app and press the red button whenever you want to. Easy! :-) 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    If you're intending to keep a mic pointed at your amps speaker all the time and want to capture what you play without any fuss, then you're looking for something that accepts an external  mic feed and records audio. So, you've already identified the need to buy a connection for attaching the XLR of the mic cable into your recorder. Then there's buying the recorder itself. 

Got an iPhone or an Android phone? If I was in your shoes I'd just spend £33 on an IK iRig Pre (Andertons price), leave it connected to the XLR cable all the time and use the phone to record stuff when the lightning struck. If you don't have a favourite "press one button to start recording" app already, then IK has a free app you can download from Apple or Google. I've not used the IK app myself. I'm using Voice Memos on my iPhone (they're dropping Music Memos, sadly), but at least it can record at high quality and store into lossless audio files. 

So, turn on the amp, attach the phone to your IK Pre, load the app and press the red button whenever you want to. Easy! :-) 
    I was thinking along similar lines.  If you've already got a DAW / AI, and know how to use it, then you could always leave the mic plugged into the AI, just boot up the DAW (less than a minute?) and, if you have a template set up you are good to go.  If this takes too long, and sometimes I want to capture an idea really quickly, then a phone is probably the way to go.  I just use voice memo and the internal mic.

I have stand alone recorders, such as the Zoom Livetrak-L12, but I'm not sure that they are really that much quicker to boot up compared with a DAW.

• Musicwolf said:
    <snip>
    I was thinking along similar lines.  If you've already got a DAW / AI, and know how to use it, then you could always leave the mic plugged into the AI, just boot up the DAW (less than a minute?) and, if you have a template set up you are good to go.  If this takes too long, and sometimes I want to capture an idea really quickly, then a phone is probably the way to go.  I just use voice memo and the internal mic.

I have stand alone recorders, such as the Zoom Livetrak-L12, but I'm not sure that they are really that much quicker to boot up compared with a DAW.

Indeed. 

If I've got an idea, I'll try and get it captured using the iPhone and Voice Memos - using the internal mics. I've also got an old M-Audio handheld recorder, but it's something else to keep charged up and carry around, so I don't. It's also harder to transfer the file to a computer from there, too. With the iPhone, I just use Airdrop to my Mac. I've used Multitrack DAW and Garageband for field recordings on my phone and they both work well. Multitrack DAW is rather good on the limited screen real estate of an iPhone.

If I want something that sounds a bit better, and if I have it with me, then I'll pop my Shure MV88 mic onto the phone and use that. That's also good for high volume recordings at band practices, where the internal mics/AD convertor on the phone would just distort and give you a brick walled recording.

I don't have a mic sitting permanently in front of my amp (although I'm musing on that now, sounds like a nice idea...) but I'd just plug my phone into an iRig Pre if I did. They're cheap, easily portable and just work. 
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    Tascam DR-40.
     Two Mic's,two XLR's. 4-track recording. Can overdub tracks 3 and 4 while listening to 1 and 2.
    I use mine all the time. The value of "I'll just turn on and hit "record"" cannot be under estimated.
    Rather than,"I'll just hit record after turning on PC, firing up Daw. Loading a template,.."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    PetGerbil said:
    Tascam DR-40.
     Two Mic's,two XLR's. 4-track recording. Can overdub tracks 3 and 4 while listening to 1 and 2.
    I use mine all the time. The value of "I'll just turn on and hit "record"" cannot be under estimated.
    Rather than,"I'll just hit record after turning on PC, firing up Daw. Loading a template,.."
    You've convinced me !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    Jalapeno said:
    PetGerbil said:
    Tascam DR-40.
    You've convinced me !

...look into my eyes....Look into my eyes...LOOK INTO MY EYES!!!...You feel an irresistible urge to buy a time-share in Spain.

:)
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I'm afraid I'm not really into phones or tablets.  I've thought about using one in the past, but have ruled it out.

Utilising the DAW does make sense, and would give the best quality and offer most flexibility.  However, I rarely feel motivated to use it, and that infrequent use leads to unfamiliarity.

I once had a Boss BR-900CD, and I think that would be similar to the Zoom R8. The Boss was the only piece of gear I've ever sold!

I'll look at the DR-40. The Sony PCM-D100 still appeals, but it's a pure stereo recorder, so no multi-tracking.  The Tascam DP-008EX appeals more than the Zoom R8 - it seems simpler, but the process to transfer files to a PC might end up being a pain.

So, if I forsake the DAW, it's probably going to be down to a hand-held recorder, or a very simple multi-track.
  • I've not used the R8, but I had the Zoom R16. It's super useful and transferring files is just drag and drop from the memory card. Takes seconds.  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you