Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb: a short review

BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2232
edited January 2021 in Amps
I'd long been mulling over the new Tonemasters, and the only way to try one out over lockdown was to order one on 14 day trial. So I did. I approached this with the fact that I owned a 65DRRI in the recent past, and to compare it with my existing set up with a heavy valved Vox AC15C1. I would caveat this by saying that I know comparing modelling amps to valve amps can be a false economy in some ways, so I did concentrate on appreciating the Tonemaster on its own merit. However, I can only afford one amp at the moment, so there would inevitably be some comparison of the 2 set-ups.

So the amp arrived. I lifted the amp in its box, and the first thing to say is the weight....wow. I expected the TMDR to be lighter than a DRRI but this was a breeze. If I end up joining a gigging band, then this will be top of my list along with an Iridium. So easy to lift, my AC15 felt like I was lifting a car by comparison!!

Guitar-wise, I'm using a Fender Performer Tele with Yosemite pickups. I played both straight into the TMDR and through my medium-sized pedalboard. Then I plugged into my AC15C1 (stock Greenback and tubes) with board to see which set-up I preferred the sound of.

Firstly, as a former 65 DRRI owner, I was really impressed by how close to the valved DR the TM got. With the attenuator at 22W, I dialled in how I would my DRRI (treble 6, bass 4, volume 4), and.... well yes it definitely sounds like a Fender. I played around with the EQ and different volume levels and the attenuator to get a feel for the amp. I have to say it gets so so close to a DRRI, closer than any other modeller I've tried. Tone-wise, at all volumes, it's a very serviceable emulation: at higher "gigging" volumes (when the nuances of tone I don't think matter as much), this is the perfect amp for a pub gig, especially with the DI out and cab IRs (which I don't have equipment to try).

However, for me, there is something missing. They really do sound like the valved version, really close to it, but there's just something lacking I can hear in the higher note register, just a bit less roundness and natural tube compression. Certainly the algorithm/IRs that the Fender engineers programmed is really good at approximating tube compression, but for me the higher notes weren't rounded and full enough compared to my DRRI. I would also say that the bass needs to be dialled down at higher volumes, but that's no different to tubed version. I like the convolution spring reverb a lot, and the trem is perfectly workable. I can't not mention the attenuator, and it works like a charm. At the lowest setting (0.2W) and with the volume at 10 you can get some great grinding overdrive at bedroom-friendly levels. I would note that my distortion pedals did sound a bit bright and fizzy, although I'm also aware there is a bright cap mod that you can update on the amp via a USB cable that would improve this. Also, the amp should be £100 cheaper, and they should bring out a 65 Princeton version.

I know this sounds like proper cork-sniffing, but really it isn't: this is a brilliant emulation, I am so impressed with it. However, compared with when I plugged into the Vox, the gritty, chimey, natural tube compression won out for me. I mostly play clean at home, and I've managed to dial in a lovely clean tone that doesn't set the neighbours/housemates on me. Preferring tube amps is an entirely personal thing. The TMDR is a phenomenal piece of engineering: I am not anti-amp modelling, the tech is unbelievable and I'm amazed how modelling is getting this close to the "real thing". 

In the end, as I can only afford to have one amp at the moment, weighing it up I've stuck with my valved, weighty Vox: I've really grown to love the cleans on it. However, if someone were daft enough to let me gig with them, this would be at the top end of my list. It's really light, it has a lovely clean tone like a Fender should, and with the bright cap mod firmware update I know it would take drive pedals really well. If you have a middle-aged back and want a solid gigging amp for the Dog & Duck (when gigs finally are a thing again), you could not ask for better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments