Heavy music looper use

What's Hot
Alright folks, so I've seen what KT Tunstall and Ed Sheeran can do with a looper but, talented as they are, I'm interested in heavier stuff. 

With that in mind, does anyone use a looper to good effect in pretty heavy, riff based stuff? I'm part of a cliché two piece bashing out fuzzy, stoner tinged riffs with occasional octave wankery and the thought crossed my mind about using a looper to maybe riff over a baseline or harmonise riffs etc.

So anyone used one? Or know of any food examples I might have a nosey at? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    Russian Circles!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    I use a looper to record rhythm parts which I subsequently solo over. I'd recommend trying it as it's good fun, and it's forced me to focus more on timing (although a lot of loopers have a quantize function which helps). I've got it at at the end of my pedal chain so that I can apply different effects to the loop, typically distortion and delay. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Russian circles also!
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    edited January 2021
    Mario from Spotlights has a dittox2 according to this video: 

I dunno whether he live loops riffs, as they play to a click, but I'd guess some textural/ambient looping would still fill your sound out and give you something to riff over?
  • Try Brontide, loads of looping:

• Thanks for the examples, chaps! Really liking Russian Circles off the back of this so I've discovered a new band if the looping thing doesn't pan out for me!
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    The thought of actually using a looper live... yikes!

I don't think I am Ed Sheerans target audience, but hats off to him for doing his looper thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:

I don't think I am Ed Sheerans target audience, but hats off to him for doing his looper thing!
    Right?! It's a terrifiying prospect...it might well be a case of just having a mess at home.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    I hate loopers and hate waiting for people to build the loop up before they start singing over it. I have no problems with using extra backing but I think it's much more effective to assign different sections to different pads and trigger as and when you want. In the bands I've used this in I've done the triggering but your drummer can do it if he's savvy to what needs triggering and when. There's a few things you can use but a Roland SPD is a popular choice and what I use. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    a Roland SPD is a popular choice and what I use. 

Interesting...so you have that on stage with riffs/sections prerecorded and then you trigger as and when...presumably with a tap (guessing feet wouldn't cut it...)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Danny1969 said:
    a Roland SPD is a popular choice and what I use. 

Interesting...so you have that on stage with riffs/sections prerecorded and then you trigger as and when...presumably with a tap (guessing feet wouldn't cut it...)
    No I do use my foot, on an SPD there's 6 pads you can easily hit with your foot. I program mine so pad 6 is a "Kill All" pad on every patch. I've triggered horn parts, synth parts, big lush pads but mainly parts I would play myself if I wasn't already playing a part. 
    For time based things like riffs, arpeggios etc this means the drummer has to play to a tempo ref ..so he's at the right BPM. But you can also trigger a lot of non time based stuff like pads, one strum chords, BV pads, drones etc. A lot of very heavy bands trigger a really fat and low synth bass note for choruses. 

You record the sounds in there yourself and assign the pads to either be poly or hitting a pad kills the previous pad. 
    This is basically how I have it at a little pub gig 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:

Right?! It's a terrifiying prospect...it might well be a case of just having a mess at home.
    See, this is why I go with abstract ambient loops when I use it. Can't be out of time if there's no time!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    I don't play metal or anything really heavy but I do like lots of dirt and enjoy jamming with my looper. Only problem is it can get messy quickly, when using distortion, if you're not careful.