Best ‘all round’ live performance by a guitarist you’ve seen live.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Logie said:

Logie said:
    Nuno Bettencourt at the Bristol O2 a couple of years ago. It's a small venue so very up close and he just nails everything. Makes it look effortless and entertaining as well when he's reining in Gary Cherone's LA excesses ( although I imagine that's all part of the performance )
    "I was at that gig too - he was amazing 

I have to add in the first time I saw Steve Vai at the Astoria...think it was in the very late 90s. I'd never seen him before, obviously been a fan for years, and it was fairly mind-blowing. "

I watched Steve Vai from 5 ft away when he did the main stage at a guitar show I went to. That was pretty special!

Another one I saw in Bristol was Paul Gilbert at The Fleece. Different music but similar sort of experience to Nuno. Absolutely blinding technique coupled with a real rapport with the crowd.

By the way, how do you copy and paste from a comment and make it go all shady? When I copy and paste it just comes out as text

Awesome - think I was up on a balcony bit at the Astoria gig. I did see him do something at an Andertons clinic more recently though - some hotel in Guildford. He looked knackered but still played fantastically. It's the control he has over the instrument more than anything else!

Also saw PG in Bristol - not the Fleece though, somewhere more out of town but I can't remember the name of it at all. Same experience as you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Who remembers Hotlicks tuition tapes?

There was a UK launch do above a pub in Covent Garden or Holborn. Arlen Roth, Mr Hotlicks, played with a band (including BBC producer Stuart Coleman on bass and, IIRC, BJ Cole on pedal steel) and then took questions from the audience. Roth went through many different styles of music using his old Tele and just ripped the place apart. It was incredible. 

After they finished playing Roth said "Anyone got any questions?".

"Yeah" yelled someone from the back of the room. "How the fuck did you do that?" 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    I've not seen many bands with decent guitarists live, but Vernon Reid from Living Colour was the best. Saw them twice in Bristol, 1988/90 ish.
    Sadly I narrowly missed out on seeing Stevie Ray in Manchester in 88, or I strongly suspect that would be my top shout.
    I was at the Bristol stop of the Time's Up tour. Stereo MC's supported. In what is now the O2 I think? 

Probably McLaughlin with Remember Shakti - closely followed by Robben Ford touring with Gary Novak in the band, and Krantz playing a dingy pub on the Greenwich Mean tour. 

In rock world, Chuck Prophet. No contest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Steve Marriott shortly before he died, tiny club, sat about ten feet away. His playing was brilliant and his vocals were even better.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Neill said:
    Reeves Gabrels at the Hug & Pint in Glasgow a couple of years ago. 3 piece band, just absolutely incredible. 

Marc Ford with TBC in the 90s - awesome, especially considering there’s a fair chance he was totally off his tree at the time. 

Kenwyn House with Reef, couple of gigs at the Barrowlands in the 90s. Unbelievable energy. Great great gigs.

Chuck Prophet every single time I’ve seen him. He’s just a force of nature. Never a disappointing gig. 
    Chuck Prophet is definitely one of those guys I feel I should have spent more time listening to.  And with that old Squier - it's a lesson to all of us who spend far too much time lusting after expensive rigs.
    Seen Chuck half a dozen times. Always excellent. You should read the new biography. 

Saw the 'Amorica' tour (possibly twice), then 'By Your Side.' Only half a band without MFF. Saw them at the good old Newport Centre, massive Matchless cabs, etc. 

When they did the reunion dvd in '05/6(?), I literally held my breath as he came in on the first solo (Halfway to Anywhere?) and phew - he still had it. 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited February 2021
    Neil Young &Crazy Horse Hammersmith Odeon 76’ I think I must be getting a bit rusty
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Logie said:

Logie said:
    Nuno Bettencourt at the Bristol O2 a couple of years ago. It's a small venue so very up close and he just nails everything. Makes it look effortless and entertaining as well when he's reining in Gary Cherone's LA excesses ( although I imagine that's all part of the performance )

I have to add in the first time I saw Steve Vai at the Astoria...think it was in the very late 90s. I'd never seen him before, obviously been a fan for years, and it was fairly mind-blowing. "

I watched Steve Vai from 5 ft away when he did the main stage at a guitar show I went to. That was pretty special!

Another one I saw in Bristol was Paul Gilbert at The Fleece. Different music but similar sort of experience to Nuno. Absolutely blinding technique coupled with a real rapport with the crowd.

By the way, how do you copy and paste from a comment and make it go all shady? When I copy and paste it just comes out as text

Awesome - think I was up on a balcony bit at the Astoria gig.
    If that’s the DVD one I was in the 2nd row :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Logie said:

Logie said:

Awesome - think I was up on a balcony bit at the Astoria gig.
    If that’s the DVD one I was in the 2nd row :)
     =) I can't remember! Main thing I recall is him raffling off his heart-shaped guitar, was it that one you were at?