What the hell is the difference between the TB-6 and SH-6?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Personally, I've gravitated towards have two of the same humbucker (maybe with one calibrated with a few more/less winds) as it feels a bit more natural and consistent when switching between pickups. I've had JB/Jazz, 59/Jazz, JB/AlnicoII Pro combinations but they've never felt 'right' to me. I've now got one guitar with a set of Jazz and one with a set of AlnicoII Pro. They mix better in the middle position, too.

So, I'd go for a calibrated pair if there are no underlying issues with the sound in the guitar's neck or bridge positions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    I have never tried the distortion neck.  

You should try asking at the Duncan Forum, I don't know who is still left there (I stopped posting there a long time ago) but there used to be some really knowledgeable players there including several metalheads when I used to frequent it.  Jeff from the Sneap board used to post there a lot, don't know if he still does.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Distortion will sound more saturated than the Custom in the bridge when it comes to the mids anyway, what the custom is cool for IMO is it holds together and is kind of like a classic pickup with added beef.  The Distortion sounds more metal, more aggressive mids etc.  If you want a heavier tonality the distortion would be the one to get IMO.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the distortions, just coz I've got a TB6 here and it's basically the same sound judging by what we've discussed... so I know how they sound in a mahogany guitar already - Chapman ML1 is quite similar to my Les Paul in wood choice. It's a bolt-on neck though, which is why I think it has a little extra brightness and crispness to it.