Orange Rocker 15 - how good - how quiet?

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4696
There's a used one on reverb.co, which is quite tempting but I'm not sure how convincing these are at their lowest settings. 

Obviously, going to try one is not an option at the moment - hence the question.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had one. The headroom / bedroom setting does mean it can get quiet. It's a sturdy bit of kit, and the single knob clean is actually very nice, musical and quite well balanced.

The dirt channel suffers a little at very low volumes though. But that's pretty standard across all amps right? Louder, it sounds like an Orange. 

I found it a touch muddy with humbuckers, but to caveat that, the guitar I had (this was the amp I bought when I was just getting back into playing and buying gear) was a cheap Dearmond (the Indonesia made ones that didn't have the US made Guild pickups). Better pickups would have probably sounded clearer. 

The only reason I didn't keep it (other than obvious fickle GAS based decisions) was the lack of built in reverb which at the time I believed to be essential. I now know its not, and I have come to love a dry amp sound, even just for plug and play noodling.

If it's a good price, it's a solid little amp, and gets loud when it needs to.

Cheers. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7000
    The other guitarist in my band (@pmbomb, but he’s not been on tFb for a while) has one.  It’s loud, but sounds really good - very vintage.  Tons of mids, so it cuts through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    hello! as @cols says it's not an amp for the shy and not at its best turned down, I stopped using it at home. (that said in my house I get asked to "turn it down" when I'm not even plugged in). yes it can hold it's own when the 2 of us get competitive. the louder it is the sweeter it is.
    pmbomb said:
    hello! as @cols says it's not an amp for the shy and not at its best turned down, I stopped using it at home. (that said in my house I get asked to "turn it down" when I'm not even plugged in). yes it can hold it's own when the 2 of us get competitive. the louder it is the sweeter it is.
    Welcome back dude!  This place is like Hotel California, you can check out any time you like,
    but you can never leave...
  • I’ve had one for a couple of months. I might not be the best judge, as I’m still on my first valve amp honeymoon and my last amp was a Katana, but I’m extremely happy with it.  I’m finding it very satisfying at low volumes, with the bedroom/half setting. In the study, the noise doesn’t carry much to the rest of the house. 

The clean channel is nice and  mellow. I use a TC Spark and SD-1 to give it some poke and break up, seems to help at lower volumes? The dirt channel, the distortion is quite fuzzy and cutting, but that’s what Orange amps do. Sounds good with a Strat and Les Paul. I’m using a Keeley Hydra in the fx loop for reverb and tremelo. Really want to try it at full blast but opportunities are limited at the moment.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    So more confused than ever now :)
  • If it's a bargain price, then it's worth a punt.

I never got to crank mine really, so can't give you a full spectrum review. 

Enjoy! 
    rlw said:
    So more confused than ever now :)
    It’s good.

It’s not quiet.

It’s vintage voiced, which is a plus if that’s your thing.  If you’re after modern metal, look elsewhere.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Not remotely interested in metal anything so that’s good