Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best acoustic guitarist you've ever seen?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Forgot to mention Molly Tuttle too. Wow, what a technique. Nice voice too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Davy Graham
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Oh God, loads ... and I mean loads.

Eric Roche was probably the first "proper" acoustic gig I went to which led to many more ...
    Thomas Leeb
    Stuart Ryan, and he has bloody lovely shoes.
    Declan Zapala
    Calum Graham
    Colin Reid I used to love but I've not heard anything about him in years and years now.
    Peppino D'Agostino
    Tony McManus ... rather obviously!

Those are probably my top picks, I've seen Martin Taylor, Pierre Bensusan and Clive Carrol too and while technically great they did go on a bit.

Tommy Emmanuel I used to be a big fan off, then he seemed to start going on extended solos, shredding on the acoustic completely devoid of context and while impressive didn't do much for me.

Love Rod Y Gab, but sadly not got to see them yet ... but I will, when we're allowed out again.
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    It's between Monte Montgomery, Preston Reed or Tony McManus for me. 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I’ve seen and met Tommy a couple of times, and he does put a lot of effort in to make it look effortless, nice guy too. 

I once sat at the feet of Gordon Giltrap during a Masterclass a long time ago, I had no idea how he was doing what he did, and I was right next to him! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Bezzer said:
    Tommy Emmanuel … then, he seemed to start going on extended solos, shredding on the acoustic completely devoid of context and while impressive didn't do much for me.
    There was a phase when TE insisted on doing a "sound effects" instrumental mid-set. This could be described as shredding in the sense that he was gouging through the finish on his Maton TE-1 and burying the noises in delay and reverb. 

Another thing he used to do was bring his then-wife on stage to sing a handful of dreary, irrelevant songs.

At a gig I attended more recently, the crap had been cut. 

Honourable mentions - Simon Nicol accompanying Dave Swarbrick. Neil Innes accompanying himself in one-man show format.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Saw Tommy Emmanuel 5 or 6 times with my Dad in the early 2000s and I was really starting to get into guitar (but hadn't become a rebellious metalhead/grumpy teenager yet). A wonderful player and truly infectious character. Met him a couple of times after the shows and he was always kind and enthusiastic.
    Tim
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    The standouts for me are Richard Thompson, I’ve seen him many times and he is consistently excellent. Martin Simpson is superb too. Bert Jansch is probably my favourite though. I regret not seeing John Renbourn whilst he was still with us.
  • Kelly Joe Phelps
  • Slash as he played all the songs I liked 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Best acoustic player I've seen is......drum roll......that guy from Fairport...that's right........Simon Nicol.

Some of the stuff he did with Swarb is simply incredible.

I love RT but Simon is right up there.

Second, Martin Carthy. Just so at one with his instrument, check out this version of Sovay, his timing, rhythms, movement, just brilliant.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I couldn't pick a 'best', but among current players I love watching these guitarists

Angelo Debarre
    Molly Tuttle
    Yamandu Costa
    Tim Lerch

because as well as being technically accomplished they just seem to really enjoy themselves when they play.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3552
    Seen live? Kelly Joe Phelps. Back when he still played slide. Tunes, communication, groove, heart. 

99% of solo acoustic bores me sheeetless fwiw, but I'd go to see him anytime.

Gary Louris is a compelling performer when he does the man-and-his-guitar thing. 
  • Greatape said:
    Seen live? Kelly Joe Phelps. Back when he still played slide. Tunes, communication, groove, heart. 

From this angle, I've got to throw in the wonderful (and sadly missed) Johnny Dickinson.