HX Stomp v Reactive Load Box

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited January 2021 in Studio & Recording
Has anyone trialled both of these for direct recording and come to any conclusions? Does recording via a loadboax offer any sonic advantages over 'digital all the way?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    I had a stomp, captor X, and also a tech 21 blonde pedal.

honest opinion, there wasn't much in it for me.   The captor x probably just shaded it but not by any significant margin.
     I sold the captor X, and have kept the other two as they are more useful for me in regards to live and recording than the captor x was. 

If you don't want to go down the IR/ modelled Amp rabbit hole, then honestly get a Tech 21 pedal or a strymon iridium which is more versatile than the tech 21  offerings.
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited January 2021
    thomasw88 said:

honest opinion, there wasn't much in it for me.   The captor x probably just shaded it but not by any significant margin.
     I sold the captor X, and have kept the other two as they are more useful for me in regards to live and recording than the captor x was. 

If you don't want to go down the IR/ modelled Amp rabbit hole, then honestly get a Tech 21 pedal or a strymon iridium which is more versatile than the tech 21  offerings.
    So there's no reason in your eyes of having both? i.e owning the HX stomp and a reactive load box for direct recording?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    randerson said:
    thomasw88 said:

So there's no reason in your eyes of having both? i.e owning the HX stomp and a reactive load box for direct recording?
    Personally no.  I use helix native for recording at home which is easy to use in a daw.  For a proper studio I would take my amps and use them.

The captor x was really good but my amps sounded better through a proper cab.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    The main advantage of a loadbox for me is I'm not endlessly fucking about trying out different amp and pedal models out. Obviously some people won't have that problem but I'm an incessant tweaker.

It's easy to find a good IR for a loadbox setup (I pretty much just use Mix 01 on the York Audio cab of my choice), then you just have what you've got and get on with it. Also I just find the real stuff more fun and that's what it's all about at the end of the day isn't it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The HX Stomp will be great if you like to go ampless at gigs. If you already have amps you like, then the likes of the loadbox would be the way. I use a Torpedo Captor with my amps, got it used for just over £100 - best investment besides my interface as far as recording goes.