Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss katana 100 mk1 sell? and buy a Positive grid spark 40 ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Katana MK1 100 combo. Recently I started using it with my pedalboard. Crikey this thing loves dirt pedals.

I'd say rather than get a new amp, get a dirt pedal you really like and use that with the clean channel of the Katana. Much less expensive option. 

The other thing is to change the default pedal options in the tone studio.

If I recall correctly the defaults are a blues driver, od-1 and ds-1 models, but hidden away you have a RAT model, a TS, loads of fuzzes etc.

Yes I've changed mine. You only need to do this once if you don't want to faff about with a computer. Just find the three you like the most then your done.

I have the Guvnor set as one of my three now rather than the default.

Yep this.

The built in drive channels aren't that great but it loves pedals and even the built in pedals sound great.

It also had some really great delays and reverbs

Tweak the global eq to tame the harsh mids
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    I've got a Katana MK1 100 combo. Recently I started using it with my pedalboard. Crikey this thing loves dirt pedals.

I'd say rather than get a new amp, get a dirt pedal you really like and use that with the clean channel of the Katana. Much less expensive option. 

If I recall correctly the defaults are a blues driver, od-1 and ds-1 models, but hidden away you have a RAT model, a TS, loads of fuzzes etc.

Yes I've changed mine. You only need to do this once if you don't want to faff about with a computer. Just find the three you like the most then your done.

Still experimenting with mine, but am I right in thinking you can set the three boost options to whatever you want for EACH preset?
    Can't be bothered to rig the laptop up to it again tonight to check, but if I recall correctly, you could have, say, a tube screamer, blues driver and Guvnor on any given patch, but then have different 'pedals' on another patch, eg three flavours of fuzz pedal.....

Yes I believe you can do just that
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943

Can I ask what you set it to?
    thanks
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    PhilW1 said:

Can I ask what you set it to?
    thanks

I can't remember.

You are better off just using your ears as it's probably dependent on what you like / guitar you use / etc.
  • I've got a Katana MK1 100 combo. Recently I started using it with my pedalboard. Crikey this thing loves dirt pedals.

Still experimenting with mine, but am I right in thinking you can set the three boost options to whatever you want for EACH preset?
    Can't be bothered to rig the laptop up to it again tonight to check, but if I recall correctly, you could have, say, a tube screamer, blues driver and Guvnor on any given patch, but then have different 'pedals' on another patch, eg three flavours of fuzz pedal.....

I believe you can. 

I prefer a simple approach. I've set my three favourite pedals as the "panel" choice. And then I can create presets using them on the amp without needing to plug the amp into the computer.

However I must admit I'm using the amp more and more with a physical pedal board. It's amazing how good it is as a clean pedal platform. 

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395

I can't get enough of that Orange tone.
    You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5
  • I have a Katana mk 1 100w. Havent tried the Spark but after selling my JVM 100w 2x12 didnt want to get a small amp for home use incase the chance of playing a gig or jam came up. I have only tried using the tone studio once so still have to get to grips with it esp' with the gafc. Instead I play with my pedal board and I'm very impressed at how good it takes them! The amps clean chanel alone is just brill and cant fault it. I'd say go for the Katana as its very versatily and you could gig with it.
  • How about a Yamaha THR30ii?
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    I had a katana and really liked it, what I found helpful was setting the eq to roll off from memory, above 10khz, it took off some fizz..
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I had the 50, 100 mk I 112 combo and the mk 1 100 head and I found my experience to be the opposite of a few people on here. They were all great for the home. Flexible, sounded good, loads of fx, decent software to tweak but out of the house at practise room levels I found them so inconsistent they always made me yearn for the consistency and reliability of a valve amp ( I know......right! :) ) Wanted to love them because there's so much in that little box but hours and hours in a practise room tweaking at drummer level just leached the joy right out of them. For the poster and his needs though  I doubt there's that much for the money that much better.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    @Logie my experience exactly, as I touched upon in my post above. I'd still quite like one for kicking around the house, but ditching it and going back to valves for gigs was a real joy. 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited January 2021
    @p90fool
    I really wanted to love them and I persevered for 18 months but I got fed up apologising to the rest of the lads for messing about
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Had a bit play with my katana 100 tonight ,just not happening for me ,it will be listed on the forum for sale with the footpedal , anyone selling a positive grid spark ?