NGD: Fender 70th Anniversary Broadcaster

What's Hot
I bought a PRS Custom 22 in November and tried all sorts of ways to convince myself that it was the only guitar I needed, whilst in all honesty, I was searching for the tone of my old Les Paul. This wasn't it, needless to say - though it did get close in a pseudo sort of way. I got in touch with the decent fellas at Anderton's who helped me out when they really didn't have to. They offered me the opportunity to exchange.

Scouring their inventory, I chose a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster and 60s Les Paul.

I've steered clear of buying the Broadcaster since they were announced last year, solely because I had an ex who loved the blonde tele/blackguard look and I've kind of irrationally hated them since. Also, more importantly, the 'U' shaped neck profile and (to my knowledge) the slightly non-accurate "vintage tall" frets seemed a needless opportunity to change a tried and tested vintage specification for my tastes. Add in talk on here about brass saddles being the spawn of satan and it doesn't fill you with confidence.

That said, the aesthetic has appealed to me more and more in recent years, and the slightly modded vintage frets didn't seem too far away from what I like. The neck was really the only deal breaker. Until I sneaked a go on something similar last year, and realised that it sat quite neatly into the palm of my hand. The temptation has been strong, but other priorities ensue and before you know it, you've lost the opportunity to get an Anniversary model of an iconic guitar. Luckily Anderton's gave me that opportunity and I was excited for this to turn up. I'm glad I took a bit of a leap of faith, because this has been on my radar for a long time during my hunt for a vintage accurate specification on a Tele style instrument.

When I opened it on Sunday, I was actually more excited to try the Gibson, but after smelling what I can only describe as the smell of Tennessee whisky and honey in a box, and the sheer delight of seeing this instrument in the flesh, I fell instantly in love with both its looks, its gravitas and the way it plays and sounds. I'm absolutely blown away by it.

I plugged it in, barely waiting for the cold fog to dry up off the surface, and it was just an instantly gratifying sound.

I've been searching for a '62 reissue Tele to no avail, so this was really a backup choice but I'm so glad I took the plunge and went all in on an original icon of Fender history - although it's new, that's what it feels like.

I have a '57 AVRI Strat and that feels amazing to me, this is like the Tele (sorry) equivalent, for my tastes, so I feel like I've found "the one's" in them both.

The frets are barely any taller than those vintage ones on my Strat and, contrary to internet wisdom on the matter, I don't hate the brass saddles. To my mind, they don't add anything untoward or take anything away from the tone. The Custom Shop pickups sound divine, too. I've played my usual - including 'Run Like Hell' and a few more standard blues numbers and it nails it!

It's the sort of guitar that you can lose hours with, I've already stayed up later than intended by having a "quick 5 minute go on the Broadcaster"...which usually turns into half hour or longer. It just sustains and sounds beautifully. Check out Brett Kingmann's recent demo's with it.

I agree with @rze99's more in-depth review, and recommend it if you're considering one yourself (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173010/)

Anyway, all the superlatives in the world can't describe how much this guitar means to me, and it's not very often I get excited about guitars any more. So I'm putting this firmly in the keeper category!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5782
    It’s definitely a very stylish addition and your joy in having it has genuinely lifted my day :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24839
    Lovely - the definitive ‘Tele’ as far as I’m concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    Nice Tele, good score, enjoy.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • dazzajl said:
    It’s definitely a very stylish addition and your joy in having it has genuinely lifted my day :)
    Ahh, that's a very kind thing to say, thank you very much indeed!

Similarly, thanks for the other commenters for chipping in too. I agree, @richardhomer, it feels to me like the ultimate 'Tele', too... certainly sounds like it. I'm blown away by the quality and feel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 73
    That guitar is a beaut mate...... glad your enjoying it
  • Not awful, that!

interested in your take on the vintage tall frets. I have the same on my new AO 70s Custom, and they’re the only thing I don’t like. They feel massive. I imagine I’ll have them taken down at some point! Otherwise a beautiful tele - fender seem to be on it at the moment with their telecasters. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    OK so I'm after a tele and lurrrv the look of these, but the U neck?

I've had loads of guitars over the years, and never even noticed the necks on them (until I started reading on this place probably haha)

I've mainly been a fender man, but past couple of years I've worked my way through three gibbos and ended up settling on a lovely standard. I would've kept the traditional that I had but the neck did indeed feel a bit "clubby" to me. My standard has a slim 60s.

My point is I've never really noticed a difference in the necks on thee fenders I've had so I'm wondering if the U shape ain't too bad, I guess I should try one I suppose.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited January 2021
    Not awful, that!

interested in your take on the vintage tall frets. I have the same on my new AO 70s Custom, and they’re the only thing I don’t like. They feel massive. I imagine I’ll have them taken down at some point! Otherwise a beautiful tele - fender seem to be on it at the moment with their telecasters. 
    Honestly, I expected them to be bigger than they are. They genuinely don't feel much different to my normal vintage frets on the strat, and they've just had a shave from Charlie Chandler during a Plek. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses on at the moment, but I'm genuinely enjoying the playing experience. I guess you're on a winner there because you can take them to someone like Jonathan at Feline to shorten them a little, better than them being too small, I guess, Gav :-)

tony99 said:
    OK so I'm after a tele and lurrrv the look of these, but the U neck?

I've had loads of guitars over the years, and never even noticed the necks on them (until I started reading on this place probably haha)

I've mainly been a fender man, but past couple of years I've worked my way through three gibbos and ended up settling on a lovely standard. I would've kept the traditional that I had but the neck did indeed feel a bit "clubby" to me. My standard has a slim 60s.

My point is I've never really noticed a difference in the necks on thee fenders I've had so I'm wondering if the U shape ain't too bad, I guess I should try one I suppose.

See my above comment about rose tinted glasses...I'm definitely in the honeymoon period, so this may not be a helpful or objective answer.

All I'll say is that I worried the most about the neck shape as I love my slim 57 RI Strat neck so much. I played them side by side yesterday for the first time and if anything, I see the Broadcaster as a complimentary feeling guitar to it. They're both maple, lacquered, and have relatively small frets so they feel very, very similar. There's no doubt that the U fills your hand up, but not detrimentally so. I think it is charming to play and I find the whole playing experience with this guitar nothing but a joy, genuinely.

Like I said in my OP, I'm really surprised by that because I rarely get excited by new guitars any more...sadly. This one lit me up again though, perhaps the thick neck and tall frets helped with that, much to my surprise! Lesson I learned is to be more open minded, I'd not have touched this 18 months ago, such is a guitarists prerogative prejudice, I suppose!

As someone said above, it's the ultimate Tele as far as I'm concerned, I've been searching for years.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2300
    Well done. Great purchase. I ordered mine the minute they were announced. 

My London dealer told me mine was in the first batch delivered to the UK. They set it up for me before I collected it. It felt wonderful. I have never ordered a guitar before release!  Most of my guitars are used. 

It’s a really great guitar. Did lots on it on my recent album records beautifully and it has never been back in its case. 

For some reason the radius feels more like a 9.5. I think it is just that the finish of the frets and nut cut are superb.  Great bridge pickup. I did a long review and pics on these pages.  

• rze99 said:

My London dealer told me mine was in the first batch delivered to the UK. They set it up for me before I collected it. It felt wonderful. I have never ordered a guitar before release!  Most of my guitars are used. 

It’s a really great guitar. Did lots on it on my recent album records beautifully and it has never been back in its case. 

For some reason the radius feels more like a 9.5. I think it is just that the finish of the frets and nut cut are superb.  Great bridge pickup. I did a long review and pics on these pages.  

I know, I mentioned your review in my original post and tagged you in on it! :-) great review indeed, mate. Lovely pics too. I was particularly interested to see the neck comparisons. I absolutely love this guitar, makes me smile every time. And reading your review just brought a massive smile to my face, thank you!

• @rze99 just looked through your post, and the imgur gallery. Sweet Jesus, some lovely teles there! 

TELE’S FOR ALL I SAY! 

(I still want an AV52, despite my lovely AO 70s). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rze99 said:

I know, I mentioned your review in my original post and tagged you in on it! :-) great review indeed, mate. Lovely pics too. I was particularly interested to see the neck comparisons. I absolutely love this guitar, makes me smile every time. And reading your review just brought a massive smile to my face, thank you!

Glad you enjoyed your post as I enjoyed yours. Happy playing!  Lack down has been great for guitars. Saving money going nowhere so guitar stuff more affordable ;)

@rze99 just looked through your post, and the imgur gallery. Sweet Jesus, some lovely teles there! 

TELE’S FOR ALL I SAY! 

Yeah I love Teles glad you enjoyed the pics. I’ve made many a Teles. Got an absolutely Stella build going on right now..... newly ready to solder up. Can’t wait. But the Broadcaster is a gem 
  • rze99 said:

@rze99 just looked through your post, and the imgur gallery. Sweet Jesus, some lovely teles there! 

TELE’S FOR ALL I SAY! 

Yeah I love Teles glad you enjoyed the pics. I’ve made many a Teles. Got an absolutely Stella build going on right now..... newly ready to solder up. Can’t wait. But the Broadcaster is a gem 
    Your AV52 looks wonderful too. Love them when they start to get chipped up. 
  • https://youtu.be/43MxV2vc2NY

I feel like I’m being personally targeted by this video. Love the guitar, love the amp. Colour looks great here too. This thread has me further tele gassing, and I’ve only just bought one. Fox snake. 
  • https://youtu.be/43MxV2vc2NY

I feel like I’m being personally targeted by this video. Love the guitar, love the amp. Colour looks great here too. This thread has me further tele gassing, and I’ve only just bought one. Fox snake. 
    @GavRichList honestly, I'm still smiling from ear to ear. It just has me buzzing to play again. Lovely guitar and can wholly recommend it!

• Glad to hear it. It’s just made me grab mine and that’s no bad thing 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    These look awesome. I've always wondered if he 7.25 radius would bother me. I suspect not as I'm not bothered by various neck shapes.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited January 2021
    Lovely Tele!  3  only really annoying thing about vintage spec ( other than truss rod adjustment) is that you have to take off the scratch plate to adjust the neck pickup height. 

Why are brass saddles 'spawn of Satan'??
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Lovely Tele!  3  only really annoying thing about vintage spec ( other than truss rod adjustment) is that you have to take off the scratch plate to adjust the neck pickup height. 

Why are brass saddles 'spawn of Satan'??
    Just a couple of threads where people on here tend to prefer other material for Tele saddles. Perhaps the spawn of Satan remark was a tiny bit of an exaggeration...but plenty of dislike to have put me off them for a couple of years!

I say later on in the OP that I actually like them and I can't say they add or remove anything tonally, from what I hear. The only thing I'll say is that they tarnish easily, but that all adds to the charm of it anyway.