Keeley SD-1 - help needed!

What's Hot
daveyb27daveyb27 Frets: 9
Hi guys, 

Quick question for anyone that knows about the history of Keeley SD-1's.

I have a Keeley SD-1 that has the blue led, the Keeley sticker by the power jack and a Keeley label and signature on the inside plate. One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have a toggle switch - it just looks like a regular SD-1 from the front. I dont have another SD-1 that I can compare it to.

I can't find any info online about a Keeley SD-1 without any form of toggle switch on the front - can anyone shed any light at all please? I've included some pics if it helps.......

Cheers :)  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited January 2021
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • The implication being this is a forgery? The thought crossed my mind too, but going to the trouble of changing the led light and sourcing the stickers for the exterior and interior of the units seems like a lot of work to do. Plus the font on the sticker looks exactly the same as yours, albeit the address is different....
    edited January 2021
    Sorry - didn't mean to actually imply anything per se, just that I know mine's real (coz Rob sent it to me in 2008), so I'm just showing it for comparison

Re address, he's moved premises a couple of times; but I can't remember when he was in Brandon Lane; he's not there any more, he has some brand spanking new premises nearby now. 

If you turn your circuit board over you should see the mods - can you take a pic of the innards?

It is a bit odd it doesn't have the switch I must admit. It is just conceivable that someone's bought a cheap modded pedal (they all have blue LEDs these days), and happens to have the stickers from other keeley pedals. on the other had it could just be a keeley modded pedal without the switch. 

edit - are you on the other fb? you could just email him and send him the pics. he's a jolly nice chap.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Don’t quote me but, I had the impression that RK had a few variations on his mods.  The lack of a switch doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t a Keeley, could be just that you don’t have the mod you thought you had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Probably the legendary 'Absolute Zero' mod.

Change the LED to blue, put the stickers on, pedal sounds miles better.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @viz - these are the innards. Whats the other fb? Would he have the time to reply to general queries about past mods? 

@BahHumbug - he does have a few variations on his SD-1mods, I just can't find any online that don't include some sort of toggle switch. I don't even know what mod its supposed to be, I bought it years ago second hand with no box or paperwork which doesn't bode well when trying to ascertain its legitimacy :anguished: 
  • Probably not a fake. The diode switch was originally an option and later became standard on the SD1 Keeley mod. The mod you have should still result in slight asymmetrical clipping and harmonic distortion (richer tones) with an octave-pedal effect at highest saturation level. Please send photos of the other side of the board.
  • That is Keeley modded. He changed the chip and included the original as an option. You can also switch out the chip with the one that is On the underside of the pedal for different tones. Just swap it with needle nose pliers and have a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @bencowling81 there’s a picture of the green side of the board above if that’s what you mean?
  • Yep our comments crossed. Definitely Keeley mod.
     the other fb is "facebook" :) (not fretboard!)

Definitely some cap swap-outs missing from yours. I emailed Rob anyway, let's see :)

• Wow, thanks guys, yes please @viz, please let me know what he says! 
  • If it’s not legit, someone’s gone to a lot of trouble. Will be interesting to hear what he says! 
    edited January 2021
    Right. I have a response from Robert

It's not only genuine, it's rare! PM'd u.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • From before the toggle switch became standard. I’d hold on to that if I were you @daveyb27 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    edited January 2021
    What's the brown goop for, some secret sauce? And more importantly, what does it sound like? Is it noticeably different from standard SD-1, richer harmonics perhaps?
  • viz said:
    Right. I have a response from Robert

It's not only genuine, it's rare! PM'd u.
    Aw come on, let us all in on the response if it’s rare, lol.

• So this is from @viz, with his kind permission for letting me share...

Howdy sir!Really nice to hear from you!That oldest of SD-1 mods is pretty darn cool!  Rare, I'd say.  It was possible that it was done even PRE-SD-1 mod is what it looks like to me.  Something that was maybe even custom, like the guy didn't want a switch, etc...Normally, I refused to make too many variations.  I knew one day I'd be asked about it, so I decided not to do variations or change things at all. Thanks! rk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's got the legendary 'unconnected Burr-Brown chip mod'.
  • Sassafras said:
    It's got the legendary 'unconnected Burr-Brown chip mod'.
    What’s this?