Two fairly stable small boards rather than one constantly changing larger board

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
edited January 2021 in FX
*Rambling navel-gazing post warning*

I will freely admit this was/is displacement activity, but towards the end of last year the amount of semi-compulsive pedal swapping (and indeed alternating of board sizes between Nano and Metro in search of the hypothetical One Board To Play Them All) was getting silly, and definitely reducing my enjoyment of this hobby. I was also conscious that constant board upheaval would wear out the power and patch leads much more quickly. 

I received an Amazon voucher, and realised that if I used it on *yet another pedalboard* (yes, I know... more displacement...), I’d accumulated enough other spare bits for a second small board. 
One set up for Americana which is my main thing, and that’s pretty much set in stone now, and the other one for the other styles I like to dabble on the side (new wave and hard rock/metal).

There’s a bit of occasional swapping on the second board, but not in the spirit-sapping, indecision loop kind of way - I generally feel like playing one style for a week or more at a time, and it’s clear which pedal(s) are needed so I don’t even think about the others. 

Which is a lot more productive and relaxing in terms of actual playing!  Also makes for a less cluttered playing area as I just have one small board out and everything else tidied away out of my eyeline so I’m not tempted to start comparing again. 

There are still pedals I toy with the idea of getting for this or that purpose, and I do still second guess myself a bit, but spend less mental energy on it and I definitely feel like I’m in a more productive and content phase. 

I also got round to selling one of the metro boards! The 24 now just serves as an unwired ‘subs bench’.  

Apologies for the protracted free form ramble. Thought I’d post in case it gives an idea to someone finding their current setup a bit of a faff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm with you on that for sure. I have a fairly stable board for most gigs, but a smaller second one that changes a bit every couple of weeks and I must say I'm enjoying the focus that brings.

But.... post some pictures!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited January 2021
    Two boards is a good way forward if you have specific, diverse and non-overlapping needs. 

I have my main board for bluesy style gigs (ah yes I remember gigs), my self indulgent mini board (yes I know, I broke it up and sold it off, but I’m building it up again), my Nocturne El Pescadoro board which is hopefully going to end up a chess studios sounding thing and I’m thinking about a board designed around my Zoia (if I could ever work out what else belongs on that board)

so that’s two for sure, one in build, one in concept - four. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Won't be long before your 2 stable boards start getting changed around constantly.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    I have 2 boards on the go. 1x PT Nano, 1x PT Jr. 

The Nano actually gets more use and always has a handful of top favourites.

The Jr is more experimental and gets changed about quite often as I enjoy that whole process. I’m currently waiting for a free afternoon to chuck a swirly War on Drugsy sort of thing at it - lots of delay and reverb and HX Stomp for weirdness
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @GavRichList here ya go 
  • See, I have two boards, but to be used in conjunction with each other. Its better for pedal access, and I got SO bored by the reality of gigging with a massive board. Just waiting for a 2 gang patchbox to arrive for the top corner of the smaller board, but otherwise this is rock solid. Pretty much a greatest hits of pedals for me, give or take a few exceptions.