Epiphone Dot modifications...what should I do?!!!

What's Hot
Hi folks,
Just picked up a lovely black 2017 Epiphone Dot and wondered what sort of mods people are doing these days. I had a couple of these in the early/mid 2000s, but one was stolen and the other I sold. Thought I'd grab a second hand one cheap and have another crack at the world of semis.

The tuners definitely need changing and I'll change the nut too. I'll probably do the pickups once I've thrashed about with it a bit, and possibly eventually a bigsby if I'm enjoying the guitar.

What are your suggestions?

Has anyone used either of the Epiphone Upgrade kits on StewMac
? I'd be more inclined to source my own parts, but if they represent good value, would definitely consider them.

Wiring
? Pots? Bridge? etc etc...!!!!!

All comments gratefully received :-)

PS. Does anyone know what the stock pickups are
?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    edited January 2021
    I had a Dot many years ago. The stock buckers were mud personified! Changed em to a set of Kent Armstrong Humbuckers and never looked back. Don’t think I changed the wiring if I’m honest but the change of pickups really sorted the guitar, good cleans and lovely 60s style tone.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Replace the switch before it falls apart.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Change everything except the wooden and plastic bits .I used Gotoh ,Grover,and Tonerider Rocksongs .I did a fret level too .Complete transformation .Not far of a Gibson 335 I played the same time I bought the Dot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Floyd Rose and a set of seymour duncan invaders 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunk said:
    I had a Dot many years ago. The stock buckers were mud personified! Changed em to a set of Kent Armstrong Humbuckers and never looked back. Don’t think I changed the wiring if I’m honest but the change of pickups really sorted the guitar, good cleans and lovely 60s style tone.  
    Haha, yeah one of the Dots I had back then was very dark!
    I will definitely change the p'ups, thanks! 
  • Replace the switch before it falls apart.
    The pickup switch? Is that a common problem?
    Thanks for the reply
  • rossi said:
    Change everything except the wooden and plastic bits .I used Gotoh ,Grover,and Tonerider Rocksongs .I did a fret level too .Complete transformation .Not far of a Gibson 335 I played the same time I bought the Dot.
    Plenty of work to come then...cheers!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    Are the tuners not Grovers?

I’d be looking to change the pickups and agree the Bigsby would be a nice addition.
  • Are the tuners not Grovers?

I’d be looking to change the pickups and agree the Bigsby would be a nice addition.
    They are, but the first thing I noticed was that they didn't feel great and that a couple of strings seemed to bounce around tuning wise. Of course, this might have nothing to do with the tuners themselves.

Yeah, a Bigsby would be great!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    BobTheSalmon said:

They are, but the first thing I noticed was that they didn't feel great and that a couple of strings seemed to bounce around tuning wise. Of course, this might have nothing to do with the tuners themselves.
    Correct... it's the nut. Grovers are excellent, no point in changing them at all.

Also check the key screws are not too tight - that causes backlash. The little washer between the key and the tuner body should be compressed, but not completely squashed flat :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't go through all that hassle, sell it and buy my Korean 2003 Riviera in the classifieds. A decent setup and you'll have a great guitar for less than the money you will spend upgrading the Dot ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    BobTheSalmon said:

Correct... it's the nut. Grovers are excellent, no point in changing them at all.

Also check the key screws are not too tight - that causes backlash. The little washer between the key and the tuner body should be compressed, but not completely squashed flat :).
    Good advice, many thanks
  • Don't go through all that hassle, sell it and buy my Korean 2003 Riviera in the classifieds. A decent setup and you'll have a great guitar for less than the money you will spend upgrading the Dot ;)
    Hahaha! I have also owned a Riviera which was gorgeous, and have tried the JK model (in around 2003)...I have a bit of a thing against sig models though... I know it's probably daft!
    Lovely guitar mind

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Had a TB Sunburst one, which I regrettably ended up selling on here to @GadgieComplete rewire (what a ball ache, like a ship in a bottle! Everything in and out through the F hole! But well worth it! braided cable throughout) Bourne 550k CTS pots, Switchcraft Switch / Jack, Russian k40y -9 0.022uF PIO Caps. A matched pair of early (1976) Maxon Super 70 pickups, UnPotted, 7.6 neck and 7.8 bridge. Sweet Tone!  Aged Faber ABR bridge, Bigsby B70 Trem,  (Custom Made) plaque. Allparts ES 335 (long) pickguard, Gibson Reflectors and pointers,  Blank TRC. Tonepros Kluson Deluxe tuners. 
    I did try to get in touch a while back with @Gadgie , but no response? to see if I could buy it back! Those Super 70s sounded amazing in that guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Replace the switch before it falls apart.
    The pickup switch? Is that a common problem?
    Thanks for the reply
    They used to be very poor in the 2000s. The one I had literally fell to bits, I had to shake them out of the f-hole! Epiphone have improved their pickups immensely, so maybe they’re using better switches now as well?
  • I’ve recently upgraded the bridge and tailpiece on my ES335 Pro to aluminium jobbies and it’s made a huge difference. Probably pickups next when I can get it to a tech
  • flyingv said:
    Had a TB Sunburst one, which I regrettably ended up selling on here to @GadgieComplete rewire (what a ball ache, like a ship in a bottle! Everything in and out through the F hole! But well worth it! braided cable throughout) Bourne 550k CTS pots, Switchcraft Switch / Jack, Russian k40y -9 0.022uF PIO Caps. A matched pair of early (1976) Maxon Super 70 pickups, UnPotted, 7.6 neck and 7.8 bridge. Sweet Tone!  Aged Faber ABR bridge, Bigsby B70 Trem,  (Custom Made) plaque. Allparts ES 335 (long) pickguard, Gibson Reflectors and pointers,  Blank TRC. Tonepros Kluson Deluxe tuners. 
    I did try to get in touch a while back with @Gadgie , but no response? to see if I could buy it back! Those Super 70s sounded amazing in that guitar!
    Sounds great! I feel your pain re seller's remorse!
  • I’ve recently upgraded the bridge and tailpiece on my ES335 Pro to aluminium jobbies and it’s made a huge difference. Probably pickups next when I can get it to a tech
    Sounds good - I will look in to doing this!

Sounds good - I will look in to doing this!

Well worth it....and dead simple too! The kind of upgrades I like!
  • I popped a set of fletcher paradiso’s into mine, unpotted. When at that magic moment it’s a harmonic meltdown that’s just glorious.