orchestras, choirs and brass bands

What's Hot
 earlier today I promised myself I would post something about me, my dodgy arthritic thumb and the progress, through diagnosis treatment and daily musical exercise, to improve things - hopefully to a position where I am playing and making music again
well then I thought maybe I should not indulge in more of this attention seeking self reflection because even though I consider myself a musician the reality is there hasn’t been a lot of it going on in a very long time.
however there are many musical individuals and groups of people, whom I consider friends, whom I am very fond of but some of whom maybe I have probably never spoken to or at least not for a long time.
a lot of them are vocalists, some sing in choirs or are instrumentalists who support that work or indeed like to give us something of their own in their musical interpretations.
there are others who work as part of the backstage people, sound designers/engineers etc who make it all work in the venues so as to allow performance, in my view the essence of music making, and without whom there is no magic, or at least no sound
Talking about it all being a bit of a bother, I posted elsewhere recently that whilst insecurity can often provide inspiration for the creative it does occasionally leave us more than a little vulnerable.
I said, rather pompously with hindsight, that this is often balanced out however by the joy of performance and by being told how much we are appreciated both as individuals and by the support our musical efforts provide to making peoples lives anywhere from a little bit better to absolutely bloody fantastic.
That said I did reflect that of course our insecurity mitigates against this when, because of current circumstances, we cannot see the happy smiling faces.
just be aware that the happy smiling faces are out there, you just can't see them yet. 
anyway, my point is that whilst a number of us can do things - writing songs, recording this and that - what about those whose musical existence only works as part of an ensemble when it is the essence of their engagement with music.
For example, orchestras, brass bands, and choirs must be having the worst of times with no foreseeable future. when to breath in someone’s vicinity, not to mention kissing and all that lark, is forbidden my fears broaden for the future of humanity and then, of course, I realise once again it is not all about me. And don’t get me started about drummers/ percussionists … 
I am, if I am anything at all, essentially a rock guitarist and occasional songwriter and if I am to to find myself obsolete - so it goes but let’s hope that the fascination caused by like minded groups of people being able to make one hell of a noise and uplift the spirits of those around continues forever and forever and forever - just saying xx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    I was born and raised in the Yorkshire coalfields and music was basically brass bands back then.  When I started secondary education it was a case of which brass instrument are you going to learn..?  So my younger self played in brass bands and occasionally the school orchestra and I absolutely loved it, especially when we did open air gigs.  But it was all about the band.  Practicing was an absolute chore, and you needed understanding neighbours, I knew lots of guys who didn't practice at all.

There were/are no "bedroom" euphonium players... 

I think this is what turned me to the guitar, not the desire to be John Lennon, just wanting to be able to create music on my own.   I used to play in a rock band but for a variety of reasons gave up gigging some years ago, but at least with the guitar you can retain a fascination with the instrument without having to perform.

I cannot imagine what many of our fellow musicians who rely on a community coming together are going through just now.  

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I play trombone in a brass band - we have basically become a Zoom quiz club... We were supposed to be going on tour in Germany last summer, obviously that was cancelled then re-scheduled for this summer. I'm now extremely doubtful that it will go ahead. I think most brass bands would just be happy with getting back to rehearsals this year.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    DavidRees said:
    For example, orchestras, brass bands, and choirs must be having the worst of times with no foreseeable future. when to breath in someone’s vicinity, not to mention kissing and all that lark....
    Whoaaa.... just you hang on a minute.... 

I used to be in a brass band, and let me tell you - there was no kissing.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    My wife’s best mate runs Surrey Youth Wind Band (in which my eldest plays flute), and it’s been a really hard time. 

They used to practise at a school on Saturday mornings, but now have weekly Zoom sessions instead. My daughter misses seeing her friends in person and they can’t really play together anymore. Plus no concert to practise for. 

This year they each played and recorded their individual parts and had them all arranged on computer. It sounds really good, but it’s such a shame they’re not all in the same room together. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to