Scale Length on Acoustic - 24.75 vs 25.5

chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
edited January 2021 in Acoustics
I happily switch between these scale lengths on electric guitars but had never really considered the difference on acoustic guitars.

I am looking at two Epiphones at the moment, the Masterbilt Texan (25.5) and the new Inspired by Gibson J45 (24.75). The specs are almost identical except the scale. 

While it’s not possible to try them, I would be ordering online so trying to work out what the differences will feel and sound like on acoustic...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    The obvious point is string tension - the longer the scale length the harder it will be to play, assuming string gauges are the same on both guitars.

Generally, looser tension translates into a ‘looser’ tone in my experience - less clarity/sharpness in the treble and a warmer mid-range and low end. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    The longer scale has higher string tension for the same string gauge, and a slightly more 'piano-like' attack and sustain.

Beyond that, there isn't as much difference as a lot of people believe - other differences in construction are much more important. But that difference in attack is quite noticeable, especially if you're playing rather than just listening.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Like mentioned, string tension is going to be the main thing here. And likely you’ll be using heavier gauge strings than electric so it’s something to consider. I’d personally string them with .13s but I know some find that a bit hard work to play if used to electrics. I own both short and long scale acoustics and it’s not hugely noticeable but it is noticeable. Especially when it comes to bending .13s! With .12s it’s maybe not so drastic.

and it also really depends on the guitar... I have a short scale Collings CJ35 and a long scale bourgeois vintage D... And love them both. Playing things with bends and when it comes to big stretches the short scale really helps and is noticeable (I don’t have the biggest hands). But sound wise I don’t feel like it lacks any attack or projection or attack over the long scale. But it’s not really a fair comparison because they are very different guitars and construction. 

By the sounds of it I think you’d probably be fine with either and once you own one you won’t really consider it anymore and just enjoy playing it!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
    Thanks for the comments. I’m probably overthinking it. I am leaning towards the Texan because I think I’d prefer an Epiphone original rather than an “Inspired by Gibson” model, and because the Texan can be had for up to £150 less, despite them both effectively being Masterbilt, having the same woods, construction and RRP.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Thanks for the comments. I’m probably overthinking it. I am leaning towards the Texan because I think I’d prefer an Epiphone original rather than an “Inspired by Gibson” model, and because the Texan can be had for up to £150 less, despite them both effectively being Masterbilt, having the same woods, construction and RRP.
    I agree. Although to a degree the Texan was a J45 copy anyway, I'd still rather have a 'real Epiphone' than a 'cheap Gibson', if that makes sense... snobbery, reverse snobbery, or whatever you want to call it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein