Why don't politicians use brief cases?

What's Hot
Story in the Times today about Trump ally Mike Lindell visiting the White House on Friday holding papers that appear to discuss details of Trump considering martial law or a coup.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/papers-clutched-by-trump-ally-mike-lindell-ignite-fears-of-last-ditch-coup-bxd58msv3

There have been many other examples in recent years of politicians engaged in sensitive negotiations walking around with details of their proposals open for any camera to see.

Why did politicians stop using brief cases?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They didn't, they just leave them at home when they want cameras to see something. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    They didn't, they just leave them at home when they want cameras to see something. 
    Exactly. Deniable leaking.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    That mypillow guy is a nut job, I wonder if his sales have tanked?

Although I imagine he can still make a living selling to the Trump/Qanon base
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    After the Ed Milliband 'bacon sandwich-gate' scandal, they leave their sarnies at home. No need for a briefcase now.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    In the case of David Davis, he had no need because the papers that he was carrying around were blank anyway. He was on LBC a couple of weeks ago with Iain Dale who I’m sure was a bit of a Davis fan boy a couple of years ago. The conversation started on Brexit Trade Agreement - surprise surprise Davis hadn’t read it. Then it moved on to COVID where Davis proudly proclaimed that he was a lockdown sceptic. The interview pretty much came to an end at that point. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    They stopped using them because they were always leaving them on trains and in Taxis full of top secret and sensitive information .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    .....or wear bowler hats?

I think times change, fella.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Photo opportunity. 

Here I am, in my expensive suit and club/regimental tie, outside the relevant government building, clutching whatever is the focus of the story I wish to convey via today's television and tomorrow's newspapers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Dominic said:
    They stopped using them because they were always leaving them on trains and in Taxis full of top secret and sensitive information .
    To be fair there's really no reason for paper copies of this stuff, it should all be on an encrypted laptop. Even the NHS (the world's largest user of fax machines!) have managed to get that far.

An encrypted laptop which requires a secured remote access (ie several additional layers of security on top of the code required to start it up) is substantially more secure than a briefcase of documents
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe it’s the malign influence of the Inbetweeners?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Hattigol said:
    .....or wear bowler hats?

I think times change, fella.
    Although it would be nice to see Bowler Hats make a comeback                 
    strtdv said:
    Dominic said:
    To be fair there's really no reason for paper copies of this stuff, it should all be on an encrypted laptop. Even the NHS (the world's largest user of fax machines!) have managed to get that far.

An encrypted laptop which requires a secured remote access (ie several additional layers of security on top of the code required to start it up) is substantially more secure than a briefcase of documents
    ..........and they've got to "self destruct after  5 seconds like Man from Uncle