Starter / intermediate Acoustic buying advice?

What's Hot
Hi all, Gary here.
I'm looking at purchasing an acoustic to practice/learn on & seeking advice on my shortlist so far.
I can play a few chords & scales & it would be for home entertainment only. Budget is up to £250(ish).
In an ideal world I'd go & try them out for feel, sound, weight etc, but with the current lockdown will probably order one online. (If I don't do it now, once back at work It'll not happen). Anything will be better than the Dreadnought Encore I'm using with a very high action. I like the Dreadnought style (with cutaway) & electro-acoustic (mainly for the built-in tuner), but neither are a "must".
So, pro's & cons of the following would be much appreciated (or other suggestions in the same range?)
Yamaha F310 / Yamaha FG800M NTII
Epiphone AJ100-ce Natural
East Coast D1SCE
Fender CD60 SCE (Natural Walnut Fingerboard (Ex Demo)
Simon & Patrick SP6 (used)

N.B. I originally had this post in "Guitars" (& thanks for all the replies / advice from there), just wondered if this area was better suited?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited January 2021
    First, if you're comfortable enough or if you have an experienced ally who can look it over, don't overlook a used guitar privately.  Not only can you get a good deal on something with better specs than you might find new, but you avoid sinking your money in taxes, shipping, and other transaction fees that you might find online.

Second, I would recommend de-emphasizing electronics and focus on getting the best acoustic specs you can get.  A clip-on headstock tuner can be easily had, if a tuner's your primary interest in electronics.

Third, have you looked into getting your current Encore set up a little better?  You might be surprised what a little neck adjustment or shaving a mm or two off the saddle can do for action and playability.  If I lived around there and was a friend, I'd do either of these things for you no problem, no charge, they are that basic.

Fourth, just a personal preference regarding tone woods, at your budget I wouldn't be bothered at all by laminated back/sides, but I would do my absolute best to get a solid-top acoustic, even if it meant stretching the budget a little bit.

Enjoy the shopping!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Yamaha is a safe bet. Sigma have a lot of options too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    edited January 2021
    As above Yamaha are a good option at that price point. Tanglewood are also worth a look. Personally I’d forget about onboard electronics, you can always add after market later if needed. Buy an inexpensive snark tuner and away you go. 
    Of course this is all just personal opinion...blah...blah
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    At that price I would plump for a used Tanglewood Java maybe. Play nicely and you can prop it against the wall and stare at the figuring 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Andy79 said:
    At that price I would plump for a used Tanglewood Java maybe. Play nicely and you can prop it against the wall and stare at the figuring 

Yep, I have the parlour Java and it’s a beautiful little guitar. Great tone and playability. I have had a few smaller bodied guitars recently and the is is right up there with the Martin Junior and Taylor mini GS
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Gandalph said:
    That’s a good spot. They have more mojo than the 000 
    Andy79 said:
    Gandalph said:
    That’s a good spot. They have more mojo than the 000 
    That’s same as mine. :)

there is one for £149 on eBay too. Bargain. 
  • Thanks for all the advice folks, really appreciated.
    I've dismissed the electro part (although I do like the Epiphone Lil' Tex).
    Also, seen a Simon & Patrick S&P6 Mahogany Spruce on Gumtree for £150 which I've read good reports about.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of either?
    I have thought about getting the Encore fixed but presumed I couldn't during lockdown (& for how much it would be is the money not best used towards something better?). Plus, I really want to start practicing again whilst I've got the time in lockdown.
    The Simon and Patrick are nice guitars , Canadian made I think. Is it the folk model? They are nice guitars , a pal of mine used to have one and I always wanted to nick it off him ;)
  • Thanks Bluesfunk, It's a Dreadnought I think, what I'm used to playing on (I tried attaching an image but it asks for an "Image URL"? which i don't know (I thought I'd just be able to "drag & drop" ).
    The only thing is it's for sale via a private ad on Gumtree. I'm just working out the best courier option (from Wales to Northumberland). I've seen the same model on another retailers website for £299 which doesn't look as good condition as the Gumtree one (which is £150)
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @gary4444 Within your budget you could easily get a used Yamaha FG800 (eg, current listings on Reverb) That's a lot of guitar for your money.