Gibson top 50 guitar solos

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
edited July 2014 in Guitar

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Are we making suggestions or should there be a link?!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    ^ :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    It must be the Emperor's New Top 50 Solos...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2014
    For fuck's sake, people who say that Stairway is the greatest solo ever just piss me off. It's the default answer, isn't it?

Same tired old top ten everyone's seen a billion times. The only ones I actually agree should be in a top ten of guitar solos are Bohemian Rhapsody, Comfortably Numb and Hotel California.

Check this out, at 1:50. Jimmy Page can eat his fucking heart out, this is just stunning playing. But it's never been in a top ten.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Stairway to Heaven.

No contest.

>:D<
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Stairway to Heaven.

No contest.

>:D<

Recorded on a Telecaster...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    Parisian Walkways  B-)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    All the usual culprits in there then - Van Halen, Slash, Angus Young, Randy Rhoads, Knopfler, Neil Young, Walsh, Hendrix, Page... yawn!

Not yawn 'cos they're not good (they're all bloody brilliant), but yawn 'cos the list has been done to death. It's the same bloody list every time. Yeah some of the songs are different (nice to see Whole Lotta Rosie, ...Watchtower and others in there) but it's none special is it (the list)?

They're just putting in all the "everyone expects this in there 'cos it was voted classic 20 years ago" solos. 

And quite a number of them aren't even Gibson players - which is what I was expecting. Something like a "Gibson.com's Top 50 Gibson Guitar Solos"

Therefore, I vote we build our own forum list of "The Top 50 Hottest fk'in Guitar Solos Played on a Gibson Les Paul" and attempt to oust the content monkeys of Gibson.com

What say ye?

Who looks at a Hendrix solo and goes "I wanna buy a fkin' Les Paul now"?!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    It will always be the same solos in lists like that because they are classics and pretty much the best of what people know.

I daresay some fairly unknown or niche players have pulled off fantastic solos in tracks no one has heard. 

My vote would be for Johnny B. Goode.....wonderful and no silly effects.
    :)
  • How about 'The Top 50 Solos Played On A Hondo'? Now that would be interesting.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I don't know what people expect, really. What does it matter what's on there? I don't see the appeal of lists of solos/songs/artists.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Why does "Layla" get into these top solo lists?
    Ok it's a great riff , but the awful screeching banshee solo is just downright unpleasant.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

Therefore, I vote we build our own forum list of "The Top 50 Hottest fk'in Guitar Solos Played on a Gibson Les Paul" and attempt to oust the content monkeys of Gibson.com

What say ye?

I'm up for that. And favourite Strat solos. And 335 solos. And SG solos. And Tele solos.

Off the cuff:

LP: Bird of Paradise (Snowy White), Lady Fantasy (Andy Latimer)
    LP Jnr(?): Living Proof (Laurie Wisefield)
    Strat: Comfortably Numb (David Gilmour), Knocking At Your Back Door (Ritchie Blackmore)
    Tele: Sweet Dreams (Roy Buchanan)
    SG, 335: not sure, I'd have to check my record collection to see if the relevant titles were done with these guitars.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Didn't Lukather do all the Toto stuff on his 'burst?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited July 2014
    Bucket said:
    For fuck's sake, people who say that Stairway is the greatest solo ever just piss me off. It's the default answer, isn't it?

Same tired old top ten everyone's seen a billion times. The only ones I actually agree should be in a top ten of guitar solos are Bohemian Rhapsody, Comfortably Numb and Hotel California.

Check this out, at 1:50. Jimmy Page can eat his fucking heart out, this is just stunning playing. But it's never been in a top ten.

@Bucket.,Not heard that before but it's a bloody brilliant solo.Thanks for posting.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    It is, isn't it? 

Played by Dave Flett, who doesn't ever seem to get the recognition he deserves, he's a wonderful player.

I think he was in Thin Lizzy for a brief while.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    How High the Moon. 

End of.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited July 2014
    Oh and while we're on the subject of Manfred Mann @Bucket - personally, this does it for me... and the whole of this album is utterly fabulous, with staggeringly good guitar work and wonderful synth/organ tones too... And all played on Mick Rogers' LP Custom IIRC

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    ESchap said:
    Actually it should have been this
    But I was a bit piddled when I made the first post and forgot to add the link!  
    :D
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/