when is the right time to join a band??

What's Hot
GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
edited July 2014 in Live
I have been playing for just over a year - I am working towards my grade 4 and on a good day I think about putting an advert out to join a band but on a bad day (mostly after watching a live band) I feel like I am not good enough!

What are other peoples experiences?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    It is pretty much a universal human experience to have days of insecurity when you feel you're not good enough... so get used to it now cos you'll have them for as long as you play.  Basically, however good you are, however good you get, there's always someone who's better.  And some days it will challenge you, and other days you won't give a monkey's.

At one year's playing you're good to go!  Have some fun.  It's what separates us from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd say join or form one as soon as you can...   you might have to go through a few people before you find the right lineup that you're comfortable with but imo the fastest way to improve and enjoy playing is to play with other musicians :)

Good luck with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Get on with it. You will learn faster playing with other people than on your own, and eventually become one of those live acts that you admire.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Best advice already given. Your improvement will go stratospheric by playing with others.

You don't need to be playing anything fancy or technical, as you'll be providing one component out of at least three. Go for it, and enjoy it.

• GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19

OMG wow - thank you guys, you have all made my day!!!!!

What a fantastic group of people guitarists are!!!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    Playing with other people will bring your playing on leaps and bounds so start doing it as soon as you can. 

Even if you don't join a fully fledged band put out an advert for people to jam with, or perhaps go to some open blues jam nights.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Give it a go!
    Imo its best to try and concentrate on 2 things. Being in tune. Being n time.
    I dont care how fast or slow someone plays... If theyre in tune and in time then i can listen to them. If theyre neither of these no matter what technical abilty they have then i cant :-).
    Enjoy.. Let us know how it goes. :-)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    NOW

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2014
    What everyone else said. When I joined my first band I couldn't play a whole song. After half a year or so I had learnt over 20 cover songs - some rhythm and some on lead.

We then spent the next five years gigging original songs and even managed a couple of (very) low-key small festival slots along the way. Importantly we had a laugh.

On a scale of shite to ten I'm shite. So just go for it - finding the right people is the most important (and hardest thing) I got lucky when I did it. But I led on it and wrote the adverts etc to bring in the right people.

They happened to be top lads who still form the core of my social circle here as I had just found a new job and relocated.

Good luck and as I said earlier most importantly have fun.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    Moved somewhere more appropriate :)
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343

Don't dare form a band until you have practised at least 3 hours daily for 35 yrs, learnt all scale variations and alternate tunings. Studied full music theory to at least phd level. Learnt the structure and build qualities of all popular guitars and built several of your own instruments. Learnt the science of amplification systems and learn how to build and maintain amps, valve and transistor. Studied under the apprenticeship of a master guitar player for a few yrs, maintained their equipment and learn how to set up for live performances.

And then, and only then my son, should you dare to offer your services to the most ordained of all folk, "the pub covers band"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    The correct answer is "now". and if you were a bass player, I'd have said "one year ago". :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    Lol ok cheers guys. On another note then - what do you lot think to 'joinmyband.co.uk' or other websites??
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Joinmyband is fine, with all of them you need to read some things with a pinch of salt. My advice is to advertise, a lot of people lurk on there hoping for something to come up so you are better off placing an ad.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Next random thought: also good to think about what else you have to offer- backing vocals, second instrument, own transport, organisational skills, easy to get on with,etc. Not to make it sound like a dating service but ability on an instrument is only one part of being in a band.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    join my band has always served me well. also some music shops have noticeboards to advertise or see adverts.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think most of it has been covered above but it is always worth remembering that musicians can be a royal pain in the ass. 

If you do go for an audition remember that it works both ways. Try get a feel for the group as a whole. 
    If you are doing a covers band try get money and other arrangements sorted up front. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    Do some jam sessions and open mic nights, you will meet some guys who will be looking to form bands, and start there, as everyone is technically auditioning, you won't be the only one worried about it !
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    ICBM said:

Sort of like my first lesson. Only it was AE and D, a record of That's all right mama, and when I learnt that, I did my first gig, it was only one song, but that's how I started!