Reaper - latency - etc etc

What's Hot
Right,

I'm laying in my pit feeling like shitty death... waiting on a test result...

mr @Danielsguitars is whatsapping me asking “how do I get the latency lower in reaper?”

having neither a pc or reaper I don’t know the answer (logic and Mac here)

can someone give him the correct guidance to get him up and running? That way he can get back to chasing squirrels and I can go back to sleep for a bit :)

cheers luvs!...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    Reduce the buffer size (I think Reaper might call it the Block Size). It's in Audio Device IIRC.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8767
    If you’ve got two devices with different bit rates, eg 44k and 48k, then change one of them
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Stuckfast said:
    Reduce the buffer size (I think Reaper might call it the Block Size). It's in Audio Device IIRC.
    Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow and see if it works, I'm not sure what I'm doing so could be a while 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • This works for me.

Click in the top right corner of Reaper. That opens the Audio Device Preferences. Then click on the ASIO Configuration box. That opens a window where I can set the buffer size for my audio interface. See video below

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    This works for me.

Click in the top right corner of Reaper. That opens the Audio Device Preferences. Then click on the ASIO Configuration box. That opens a window where I can set the buffer size for my audio interface. See video below

Thank you, really helpful
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    Yes, buffer size is your first port of call.  Smallest buffer size = lowest latency but be aware that small buffer sizes increase the risk of pops and drop outs.  It is possible to set the buffer size low whilst you are recording then increase it whilst mixing for a more stable playback (you need to do this manually each time).

Also worth checking to make sure that you have the most up to date drivers for your audio interface.

A low latency is a product of several things.  Computer, audio interface, drivers and buffer size.  Depending upon how you work i.e. whether you need to hear effects from the DAW whilst tracking, your audio interface may support direct monitoring.  In other words you are hearing the sound back before it 'enters' the computer.