New pickups from Oil City ... in six seven and eight string variants ... the BlackTrack

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390

About to go into a Stone Wolf Guitar ... our newest pickups ... just a taster ... more soon! 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Tease!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Do I spy coils around bar magnets, like an over-sized Firebird pickup or something Tony Iommi might once have used? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    Do I spy coils around bar magnets, like an over-sized Firebird pickup or something Tony Iommi might once have used? ;)
    Well spotted ... at least 70% of the BlackTrack's DNA is Firebird ... modified and scaled up ... and with different winding priorities ... but coils around bar magnets and that Firebird 'directness' of tone yes :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How would the new design sit in a HSS combination with, say, two Stonetones?
    tFB Trader
    How would the new design sit in a HSS combination with, say, two Stonetones?
    Very well ... the magnet structure is very single coil like ... so the amount of punch available is similar.

• Do I spy coils around bar magnets, like an over-sized Firebird pickup or something Tony Iommi might once have used? ;)
    Well spotted ... at least 70% of the BlackTrack's DNA is Firebird ... modified and scaled up ... and with different winding priorities ... but coils around bar magnets and that Firebird 'directness' of tone yes :-)
    I love FB and blade style pickups eg Charlie Christians, Speedbumps (albeit single coil)

Thinking out aloud of sorts, if you used a thicker wire around the blades would it be like a HB version of a Charlie Christian pickup?
    tFB Trader
    I love FB and blade style pickups eg Charlie Christians, Speedbumps (albeit single coil)

Thinking out aloud of sorts, if you used a thicker wire around the blades would it be like a HB version of a Charlie Christian pickup?
    it could easily be 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Are these going to be available to order generally or only fitted to Stone Wolf instruments?
    tFB Trader
    Are these going to be available to order generally or only fitted to Stone Wolf instruments?
    They will be generally available ... but the pandemic has caused me to be so busy with the pickups I already have for sale on my site ... that I'm not sure when. 

• RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 171
    I just received and fitted a calibre 5/3 pickup from oil city.
    Wanted to post a review somewhere that people looking for info may see it.

It's hands down one of the best strat pickups I've ever heard, if not the best. It pushes the amp harder than a standard strat pickup but not too much. It has clarity and spank. I tend to play a lot of biffy clyro style music. So spanky cleans to really thumping chords and this pickup really does the trick. I'm in love.

I'm building my own strat with Jon Shuker this year and intend to use them in that.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Rkphilpot said:
    I just received and fitted a calibre 5/3 pickup from oil city.

It's hands down one of the best strat pickups I've ever heard, if not the best. It pushes the amp harder than a standard strat pickup but not too much. It has clarity and spank. I tend to play a lot of biffy clyro style music. So spanky cleans to really thumping chords and this pickup really does the trick. I'm in love.

I'm building my own strat with Jon Shuker this year and intend to use them in that.
    Well thank you kindly :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rkphilpot said:
    How about the Gear Reviews section? :)